Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wrestlemania 2020 - Spoilers, rumours, etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Well, that was weird :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,066 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Odd but cool

So how will they explain Styles and co returning

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Not gonna lie. I'm going to watch that again and again. It was almost exactly what I was hoping for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,976 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Wait is that it finished for tonight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,993 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Overall a very good night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭xpletiv

already sensing im in the absolute minority in absolutely hating that, it got worse and worse as well.

Ugh. Lets see what tomorrow brings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,518 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Not gonna lie. I'm going to watch that again and again. It was almost exactly what I was hoping for.

It was all I was hoping for and more. It truly was “The Room” of pro-wrestling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,384 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Well considering the Low expectations given the situation in the world that as a three hour event was great. That's the most enjoyable thing the undertaker has done in years and AJ styles more than played his part.

Bar a clear edit in the women's tag match and the Goldberg entrance I think it was, the superstars did a bloody good job and it took my mind off that pandemic for three hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Just like the tna deletion matches they nailed that

And a 3 hour mania is a beautiful sight

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

See ye all again tomorrow night, folks. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,946 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Thank you Lucha Underground.

AmusingInexperiencedInvisiblerail-size_restricted.gif

WCW did a graveyard match in 1996, Psychosis I think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Two bite sized 3 hour manias are much better than the 6hr shows.

That was absolutely tremendous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

EUzh1E3XgAAHSlz?format=jpg&name=small

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 15,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Odd but cool

So how will they explain Styles and co returning

Was there talks of AJ taking some time off? So it would work out well for him , Gallows/Anderson will continue to job to everyone unless they head to NXT with Finn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

That was hilarious, made a lot worse by the OC having to wear their merch that I seriously doubt anyone has ever bought... but at the same time it was a lot better than what came before it. Given the one off nature of this sh1t if they were arsed at all they could have made every match unique like that in some way...

There are so many possibilities for what they could have done outside the live crowd setting that they'll never have the chance to do again but they lacked the imagination and that was a missed opportunity I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

It was the only thing they could do though. Can you imagine how bad an actual live match would have looked.

I really enjoyed it though. It sort of brought back how badass Undertaker used to be. It was a cheesy, straight to TV movie and it was great

If this is the standard of the off site stuff then the firefly funhouse tomorrow night will be unreal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Sirsok

I think that was one of my most enjoyable experiences as a wrestling fan.

Meshing two things I love, film and wrestling.
    Hyped up by a great video package
    With two wrestlers who I grown up with.

It honestly was perfect.

The card in itself was impressive the fact everything just seemed so much more visceral and real, really was an amazing effort considering circumstances.

I feel holding a ONE off ppv a year in this style , not mania of course, Would be seriously worthwhile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

The only thing missing from that match was Paul Bearer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Watching from the sami match onwards now, hopefully this ppv gets better the first few matches were terrible, I heard the taker match was fun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I loved that. Best thing I've seen in a while. Everything it needed to be and more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,976 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Super-Rush wrote: »
    The only thing missing from that match was Paul Bearer.

Next year they will have a hologram of him like those hologram concerts from dead singers that you can go to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭showpony1

That was the best Wrestlemania main event since 31.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Sorry. But for what tonight was....I really enjoyed that. Ending wise, booking were mostly on point. Hearing the heels rant and then beg was amazing. Match of the night for me was Rollins-Owens but the Taker-AJ was the correct way to end the night. Also, fcuk Goldberg. I don't even care if Braun jobs to Reigns (I do, but), he had to lose the title.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

Lovin the Beyond the Mat references here.

I was entertained by that Undertaker AJ Styles match. Welcome to the WWF. It broke up the monotony of our situation. Utterly daft like wrestling should be.

• Advertisement

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    Also, fcuk Goldberg. I don't even care if Braun jobs to Reigns (I do, but), he had to lose the title.

I was thinking such a waste of that fiend burial if this is all it was for (tho it was still so questionable wasting all they’d done even if it were reigns winning tonight)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭snoopboggybog

I think everyone is sick of the quick spears from Goldberg at this stage.

He needs to retire.

2ndcoming wrote: »
    There are so many possibilities for what they could have done outside the live crowd setting that they'll never have the chance to do again but they lacked the imagination and that was a missed opportunity I think.

A comment made after one of the greatest outside arena matches of all time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

showpony1 wrote: »
    A comment made after one of the greatest outside arena matches of all time

Did you actually read my post, or just that line?

I’m now all for a 2 night manias going forward was so good just to have a 3 hour show have NXT big matches on mania going forward

I’m also very sad I read alter bridge we’re supposed to do. Edge entrance live in the stadium damn corona

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

If enough people ironically like something does that make it good?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

What was the issue with Goldbergs entrance?

Blanco100 wrote: »
    What was the issue with Goldbergs entrance?

He got winded is my guess. I mean he hit a crap first spear so I'd say he was Hunched over on the ramp way.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 25,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

That was a great mania. Surprisingly. The Taker AJ match was everything I thought it’d be and more. Awesome main event. So different but it worked.

Like let’s not kid ourselves it wasn’t Mania but the Becky match was good, ladder match was good and the Seth KO match was good. They did as well as they could have under the circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

That was weirdly entertaining Night 1..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

They have gotten a lot of hate over the years but when WWE get it right they are untouchable. They are the gold standard.

Last night was a fantastic night of entertainment. Looking forward to part 2 tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

ricero wrote: »
    They have gotten a lot of hate over the years but when WWE get it right they are untouchable. They are the gold standard.

Last night was a fantastic night of entertainment. Looking forward to part 2 tonight.

Literally what!? A pretaped show in front of an empty warehouse, only taking place to placate the ego of old billionaire during an actual pandemic with a show that had a load of dirt worst finishes, plain bad work given the circumstances and all topped off by a funny bad straight to DVD final boss fight scene is the gold standard?

Like it was fun to laugh at, and honestly I just wanna watch the world burn when it comes to WWE so I was happy to laugh at it but if you thought that was legit good like non - ironically or "the gold standard" of wrestling then dude I think you hate wrestling.

ricero wrote: »

I'm in agreement with you on the 2nd part of your post, but you hit that golden sentence in the first part in regards to WWE, when they get it right, they are untouchable/gold standard/insert description of your own choosing.

It's just a shame that their absolutely inconsistent, with the odd diamond show every now and again.

I mean the leading name in Pro Wrestling, it shouldn't take them a world crisis/when the chips are down/backs against the wall to put on good shows on a regular basis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,279 ✭✭✭✭briany

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    I mean the leading name in Pro Wrestling, it shouldn't take them a world crisis/when the chips are down/backs against the wall to put on good shows on a regular basis.

Well it shouldn't but that's pretty much how it went in the Attitude era, and it's kind of how it went in the 80s golden era, too, because Vince had to make a success of it, especially in those first few Wrestlemanias. WWE is certainly better under pressure, that's my analysis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,580 ✭✭✭bennyl10

If WWE could do that every week they’d be flying.
    Last night was one the beat shows they’ve done in ages. And it had zero right to be!

Really excited for tonight now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,279 ✭✭✭✭briany

I've been doing a lot of calculations over the last few years and have come to my final theorem.

It goes as follows.

When people think Wrestlemania will be crap, it's good. And when people think Wrestlemania will be good, it's crap.

Or to put it in mathematical form,

Expectation/Result=Opinion.

I also feel the less time Vince has to change his mind is key in all this

sky88 wrote: »
    I’m now all for a 2 night manias going forward was so good just to have a 3 hour show have NXT big matches on mania going forward

I’m also very sad I read alter bridge we’re supposed to do. Edge entrance live in the stadium damn corona

That honestly would've been all kinds of ****ing cool. Hopefully they'll be able to do it for Summerslam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,363 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Guys in robes versus Taker made me think of this

The "one at a time part" that is. Not the roundhouse kicks

As others have said when WWE are in a bind because of some outside issue they normally pull off a good show. I can think of the raw after the rumble during a blizzard a few years ago which I think was one of roman reigns best promos. The ash cloud in Europe which stranded a big Chunk of the roster they put on a good show. The Saudi Arabia mess which led to them having to bring in nxt people again worked well.

Yes, last night wasn't and tonight won't be ideal obviously but like I said last night for three hours I forgot about flattening curves and social distancing and all that. It's what pro wrestling should always be which is escapism and they achieved that.

Bar the Goldberg match and the boneyard match which was something completely different I think the wrestlers put on a great show and the women's title match was great, the ladder match while weird to hear the ladders so clearly was well done and John Morrison is a freak athletically. The Seth Rollins vs Kevin Owens match was great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,755 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

This show exceeded my extremely low expectations

Goldberg losing quickly. Big plus.

Boneyard match was straight to DVD fight scene. But it was entertaining and kept me interested. I would have rathered Styles win and an in ring rematch take place down the line, but I was entertained from start to finish with this match.

Elias v Corbin was a typical smackdown match ..... it sucked.

The womens tag was meh.

Womens title match was brief and clearly Vince has cooled on Baszler. She will be regulated to Main event facing Dana Brooke. This match did nothing for me. Im dying to see Becky lose now.

Owens and Rollins did their best with no crowd and was better than expected.

The ladder match really missed the crowd. All 4 worked their ass off but it just didnt suck me in.

The show as a whole was better than expected considering but it still was poor overall. The Boneyard match saved it from being a disaster.

Also why was Gronk there? He must be doing something tonight.

I am delighted so many enjoyed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Ridley

Taker/Styles was dire eye em oh but if you like that kinda cheese, glad you got something out of it. Just missing Salem the cat saying it's done with the magic of editing.

Styles really should have buried taker and won. Then when he's walking away at the end, leaving with his back to the camera, the grave could be in the fore-ground for the camera angle, and shown the old 1990s glove coming up through the grave, and clenching his fist.

Ala: https://i.makeagif.com/media/5-07-2015/Vyk5iA.gif

Cos we know taker's not retiring, so may aswell have a bit of fun and get him at least doing more nostalgia stuff.

Cos we know taker's not retiring, so may aswell have a bit of fun and get him at least doing more nostalgia stuff.

I think a fair few people are looking forward to seeing the American Badass character again. Metallica was a fine choice for new entrance music too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

I think a fair few people are looking forward to seeing the American Badass character again. Metallica was a fine choice for new entrance music too.

A whole load of better songs they could've chosen from though.

Advertisement