Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrestlemania 2020 - Spoilers, rumours, etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Honestly? I'd be okay with 2 day WM from now on like. Have a smaller crowd, means the crowd doesn't get worn out by 6-8 hours of wrestling and waiting in a stadium. Could do WM 38 at MSG over two nights. Iconic venue, giving all the matches loads of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,825 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Finally a British wwe world champion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,873 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Charlotte /Ripley was great
    Edge/Orton was great
    Funhouse was great

Title match very disappointing, why won't Brock work a proper match any more? He needs to go because he's damaging the show with these 3 minute main events.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,834 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The Chosen One deserved 80k plus people to do that in front of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,873 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,300 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    Honestly? I'd be okay with 2 day WM from now on like. Have a smaller crowd, means the crowd doesn't get worn out by 6-8 hours of wrestling and waiting in a stadium. Could do WM 38 at MSG over two nights. Iconic venue, giving all the matches loads of time.

Or even just have a night of the more scripted matches that pay off storylines in ways that have rarely been seen before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,213 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Scotland have a lot of WWE champions right now...

4pdnkofj34r41.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭snoopboggybog

Strange they included Punk in the firehouse segment kissing away the title.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭shineon23

Strange they included Punk in the firehouse segment kissing away the title.

That's what you found strange about it? :P :P

shineon23 wrote: »
    That's what you found strange about it? :P :P

I found the whole thing awful to be honest along with taker and Styles.

Even with the taker match if they had paramedics or fire crew getting Styles out of the grave would have been believable.

Where was Styles funeral tonight or take getting arrested for killing someone?

So In Brays fun house he can dress Cena whatever he wants or have mind control over him. I don't really get it. It's childish.

The whole 30 second title matches with Goldberg and Lesnar is just ridiculous.

I'll be sticking with AEW from now on.

• Advertisement

Even with the taker match if they had paramedics or fire crew getting Styles out of the grave would have been believable.

So In Brays fun house he can dress Cena whatever he wants or have mind control over him. I don't really get it. It's childish.

I think you should. If you don't like your pretend fighting to be pretend you should make a stand and go to watch aew to see broken Matt hardy and the exalted one.

If your enjoyment of wrestling relies on you believing what you see is happening and can't suspend your disbelief to enjoy some tacky shenanigans, I think you'd be better off watching the UFC.

Just quoting these two complaints for posterity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,213 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

"It's childish."

"I'll be sticking with AEW."

The same AEW that had Matt Hardy teleporting around the arena recently?

J. Marston wrote: »
    "It's childish."

"I'll be sticking with AEW."

The same AEW that had Matt Hardy teleporting around the arena recently?

DELETE!

I really enjoyed the last two nights entertainment, but more importantly, it was great fun to watch with my daughter for her first time watching Wrestlemania "live". There was something for everyone and very little lulls considering the limitations.

A great event against all odds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Moment of the weekend? Puppet Vince saying sh1t and knowing that real Vince approved it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭showpony1

Allen Jones hand clearly came out of the soil at the end so he was not dead.
    It would be unfair for Mark to get done for murder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,302 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Well the last two matches of the night were something. Some of the lines said where true but very inside. The keep you hands up said by puppet vince is a known issue he has with wrestlers not protecting themselves and the "this is good ****" was great. The main event was short and glad drew won but it's not how he imagined it would be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Overall enjoyed night 2 but felt some of the matches sufffered more due to no crowd than night 1

The funhouse stuff was just bonkers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

I think you should. If you don't like your pretend fighting to be pretend you should make a stand and go to watch aew to see broken Matt hardy and the exalted one.

If your enjoyment of wrestling relies on you believing what you see is happening and can't suspend your disbelief to enjoy some tacky shenanigans, I think you'd be better off watching the UFC.

Or you know he enjoys being able to suspend his disbelief and the limits to his suspension of disbelief stop somewhere short of Undertaker's burying a man in a grave while shooting fireballs out of his hands or sitting through Bray Wyatt' "high art" in the bloody nether realm.

I'm with him, I've got no time for that comic book nonsense, especially at the top of the card of the biggest show of the year for that company. Does that mean I too should only watch UFC?

You can watch those shows last night and call it stupid. Maybe you enjoyed that stuff but honestly I'd say that reflects more on both how bad and dull WWE is on a weekly basis that anything out of the mundane ordinary is hailed as "gold standard" by their core audience who are starved of anything to be excited about and also because I suspect to enjoy that stuff on anything other than ironic level you'd have to actually hate pro wrestling and what pro wrestling is. In which case I suggest you'd be better off sticking to WWE and maybe some Steven Segal straight to DVD flicks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

What rubbish. Suspension of disbelief should not have to extend to the suspension of logic and the realms of what is not possible. Obviously we’ve had that with Taker for three decades but there was always that thought in the back of your mind that he was playing some sort of mind game with his competitor. The Funhouse segment was pure child-orientated garbage, plane and simple. Pro wrestling is supposed to be a simulated athletic contest that can be enhanced by added narrative. What we were served up at this Wrestlemania, couldn’t be credible presented in a B movie, straight to DVD release. How in the name of Christ did this get through so many layers of decision makers, including Cena and Wyatt themselves? Did nobody feel this would be damaging to wrestling’s already questionable credibility? I’m ashamed as a man in my mid-30s, I stayed up to watch this garbage on night 1. It is a relief that I didn’t do so in night 2. So, so, so painfully bad.

Jayesdiem wrote: »
    What rubbish. Suspension of disbelief should not have to extend to the suspension of logic and the realms of what is not possible. Obviously we’ve had that with Taker for three decades but there was always that thought in the back of your mind that he was playing some sort of mind game with his competitor. The Funhouse segment was pure child-orientated garbage, plane and simple. Pro wrestling is supposed to be a simulated athletic contest that can be enhanced by added narrative. What we were served up at this Wrestlemania, couldn’t be credible presented in a B movie, straight to DVD release. How in the name of Christ did this get through so many layers of decision makers, including Cena and Wyatt themselves? Did nobody feel this would be damaging to wrestling’s already questionable credibility? I’m ashamed as a man in my mid-30s, I stayed up to watch this garbage on night 1. It is a relief that I didn’t do so in night 2. So, so, so painfully bad.

Honestly I think what's annoyed me most about it is the damage to wrestling's tiny remaining shreds of credibility. I've been a fan since I was 8, in that time you learn to deal with the "lol you watch that fake stuff" with canned answers and self-deprecating humour. And maybe on a small Impact show tucked away in the far corners of the internet nobody in your regular life will see that stuff. But 3 of the main Wrestlemania matches going down that garbage route? Everyone sees that, casuals see that and it's like WWE hate their own fanbase more than any other company on the planet hates it's own fanbase! They hate that they are a wrestling company, they tell stories dammit! They hate wrestling, so they do irony wrestling! They do pro wrestling parody but to the man on the street WWE is wrestling and you say you're a wrestling fan, to them that makes you a WWE fan and genuinely I'd never want my name attached to that. But WWE hates you and has never in it's history shown anything other than enthusiasm at humiliating it's fanbase whenever the opportunity arises and these people enjoy it! In some sadomasochistic way they enjoy the humiliation and revel in it! I just can't get my head around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

Honestly I think what's annoyed me most about it is the damage to wrestling's tiny remaining shreds of credibility. I've been a fan since I was 8, in that time you learn to deal with the "lol you watch that fake stuff" with canned answers and self-deprecating humour. And maybe on a small Impact show tucked away in the far corners of the internet nobody in your regular life will see that stuff. But 3 of the main Wrestlemania matches going down that garbage route? Everyone sees that, casuals see that and it's like WWE hate their own fanbase more than any other company on the planet hates it's own fanbase! They hate that they are a wrestling company, they tell stories dammit! They hate wrestling, so they do irony wrestling! They do pro wrestling parody but to the man on the street WWE is wrestling and you say you're a wrestling fan, to them that makes you a WWE fan and genuinely I'd never want my name attached to that. But WWE hates you and has never in it's history shown anything other than enthusiasm at humiliating it's fanbase whenever the opportunity arises and these people enjoy it! In some sadomasochistic way they enjoy the humiliation and revel in it! I just can't get my head around it.

What’s more worrying is that it seems to have gone down ok with most people. I was at Mania around 10 years ago and I thought I’d never outgrow this stupid form of entertainment but last night proved me wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,300 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Ah with talk like this I'm starting to think that Mae Young didn't even give birth to a hand that time!

Jayesdiem wrote: »
    What’s more worrying is that it seems to have gone down ok with most people. I was at Mania around 10 years ago and I thought I’d never outgrow this stupid form of entertainment but last night proved me wrong.

I can say wholeheartedly if, in another timeline, the internet didn't exist and our only access to wrestling was WWE on Sky I'd have tapped out of this passtime years ago. If my only exposure to wrestling was what that company produced the last 2 nights and what they've produced for at least the last 3 years I'd be out, I'd probably spend all my time watching Pokemon and arguing on discords that Articuno was the best legendary Pokemon. But there's stuff out there that suits what I want out of my pro wrestling and I watch it and it means I can just drop into these big shows, wonder who could enjoy this and leave. It's the people who are stuck in it that weirds me out, it's like some kind of stockholm syndrome taken to an extreme degree.

Liam O wrote: »
    Ah with talk like this I'm starting to think that Mae Young didn't even give birth to a hand that time!

8 year old me hated that stuff then, 28 year old me hates that stuff now. It's stupid undercard comedy then. It's 3 of your big 5 Mania matches now.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

8 year old me hated that stuff then, 28 year old me hates that stuff now. It's stupid undercard comedy then. It's 3 of your big 5 Mania matches now.

The Boneyard match was not comedy.

The Firefly Funhouse match had elements of comedy, but it was utterly surreal and laced with so much wrestling self-reference that it can never be reduced to a single label like that.

Brock and Drew did what they had to do for the occasion. They'll build it up to give them a proper match when the real world stops being so f*cking bizarre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Undertaker was a zombie wizard who gained power from an urn containing the ashes of his dead parents who died in a fire started by his evil half brother Kane who needed a voicebox to speak.

Over the years Undertaker levitate as Royal Rumble 94, Set his brother on fire, tried to stab stone cold, encase his manager who is also Kanes father in cement, seemingly killing him but not quite.

Kanes history is arguably more ****ed up.

Undertaker has been around 30 years. Wrestling is fake now and wrestling was fake then. Hokey Hokey stuff. Does it get embarrassing, yeah sometimes but you have to try stuff out to see what sticks.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

The Boneyard match was not comedy.

Really? I thought laughing at it was the best way to enjoy it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Doesn't that has-been Matt Hardy not teleport over there and have a drone which he talks to ? Lol the anti-wwe bias in here is hilarious.

WWE put on a fantastic show over two nights and people still try **** on it. Vinnie Mac just cant get any credit these days.

Advertisement