Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plumber fixing boiler - am I being ripped off?

Options
  • 28-01-2020 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Long story short: The boiler stopped working. It would fire up for a few minutes and then stop. It's our only heating in the house. We called a plumber who told us he would be out the next day. Didn't show. Same thing next couple of days. Finally on the 4th day he came, spent 15 minutes clearing it out, charged us €120 and left.

The boiler cut out again shortly after he left. Called him and had a few more days of us waiting at home and him not showing and not answering his phone. No apologies or explanation.

So this morning after he didn't turn up yesterday we decided to cut our losses and sent him a text saying not to bother coming and we would find someone else. We called another plumber who said he could come down right away. But my SO went downstairs 30 minutes later and saw the original plumber in the shed, who having been told not come, came and went through our side gate without calling or knocking and went to work replacing the pump on the boiler! >:O So we said let's just leave him at it just to be done with the whole thing. He finishes about 20 minutes later and tells us that we owe him another €190. We told him to send us an invoice and he left.

Outside of the shenanigans I feel like we're getting totally fleeced here. I wouldn't mind paying the cost of the pump but as far as I'm concerned I've already paid him €120 for a job he didn't do. He lives about a 10 minute drive away.

We're new homeowners so this is my first direct experience with a plumber. I just wanted to know what a reasonable price for that job is in Galway and whether I have any standing to dispute the payment.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

Is it actually fixed now?

If so give him 70 quid.

If not tell him to get lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,674 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Even if he lives 10 minutes away he no use to you in future. Price the pump to see how much it costs. I have ran him the second time. If he could not go out if his way either time to get to you that day with your heating not working I would not be getting him back. If it fixed as previous poster said give him 70 euro by cheque or postal order. After that never again ring him

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement