Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will it truly make any difference who forms the next Government.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

_Brian wrote: »
    My daughter is 17 and has been working part time for nearly two years, she doesn’t need to but it’s what we want, workers work,
    It’s what needs to be done to succeed in life, she’s earning €18/hr flat rate

You can listen to the banana politics of the left all you want, but we’d be plunged back to the recessions of the 50’s and 70’s if they were in charge. At least with the current governments those who want to work and move forward can do so.
    How do you expect her to be able to afford a house?

Remind me which left party was in charge in the 50`s and 70`s and of course the 00`s?

What are you going to do when people start using public transport, get rid of the car, and the motor tax starts reducing?

Save billions on Healthcare and road maintenance probably

• Registered Users Posts: 24,401 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

That would only benefit those living in a city/large town maybe. I (down the country) have a 30 min drive to work, if I take public transport it would take me several hours each way. Free public transport is of zero benefit to me

So what!? Seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,591 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

How do you expect her to be able to afford a house?

Remind me which left party was in charge in the 50`s and 70`s and of course the 00`s?

Simples.
    I’m working hard living a modest life and will have a house each to give to both my kids in time.

And do you think voting the left onto power will somehow enable people to get easy houses. Like hell it will.

Simples.
    I’m working hard living a modest life and will have a house each to give to both my kids in time.

And do you think voting the left onto power will somehow enable people to get easy houses. Like hell it will.

You forgot to answer who was in power, a simple oversight you'll correct now I'm sure.

That's wonderful for you and your family. What about people not so lucky? They are hard working too.

Why are houses unaffordable in Ireland but not other European countries? We've turned housing into investments and they haven't. The left claim they will build affordable public houses which aren't intended to enrich an already rich landlord and developer set. At the end of the day it's unlikely they do worse than FF/FG and if they do you know what at least we tried.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Pronto63

Pie in the sky stuff regarding removal of child benefit. It's totally unfair on the child who didn't ask to be born and will never happen here.

Remove the child benefits paid in cash.

For 2nd child on give the same benefit but as a tax rebate/credit.

Effectively this means only workers get it. We want workers to have more kids/workers to pay the pension bill.
    We need to discourage the work shy from having kids. Their kids will be missing the "worker gene"!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Pronto63 wrote: »

Effectively this means only workers get it. We want workers to have more kids/workers to pay the pension bill.
    We need to discourage the work shy from having kids. Their kids will be missing the "worker gene"!

They'll still have them regardless. Its not fair on the kids.

Pronto63 wrote: »

https://amp.independent.ie/business/irish/ireland-is-close-to-full-employment-new-cso-figures-show-38183662.html

Almost full employment but we need regressive policies to dealt with the "work shy"?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

lawred2 wrote: »
    So what!? Seriously.

Well if they could do this without raising taxes then nobody would care. However if they place the burden of funding this on motor tax/cost of fuel, then you are essentially asking a lot of people who have no choice but to own a car to subsidise something of little benefit to them. The public transport is incredibly crap outside of Dublin and I don't think its fair that they would be funding free travel for other people.

Public transport is cheaper than car ownership already. I don't think its too much to ask the service users to pay for the service that they are using

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭I Am The Law

mariaalice wrote: »
    I have made up my mind who I am voting for, I am even thinking of giving someone who I would regard as a fecking eejit a vote, mostly just because at least he has put himself out there.

Deep down though I can't see it making much of a difference who gets to form the next government?

Feckin eejits are welcome, it's just different feckin eejits.

• Advertisement

. Free public transport is of zero benefit to me

So? It's a benefit to society, doesn't necessarily mean every single individual has to benefit

Well if they could do this without raising taxes then nobody would care. However if they place the burden of funding this on motor tax/cost of fuel, then you are essentially asking a lot of people who have no choice but to own a car to subsidise something of little benefit to them. The public transport is incredibly crap outside of Dublin and I don't think its fair that they would be funding free travel for other people.

Public transport is cheaper than car ownership already. I don't think its too much to ask the service users to pay for the service that they are using

Eh welcome to a western democracy. You subsidise lots of things that's little or no benefit for you because that's how it works. You pay tax it's pooled together and projects for the social good are paid for it by them. How do you think your roads are maintained? I don't use your road can I suggest it's unfair. Perhaps you'd like to discuss the rural subvention?

I'll pay for mine if you pay for yours. Externalised costs of motoring is 650 euro per person per year. About half the people in the state are kids or don't drive. So you'll have to pick you that cost to. Your new motor tax is 2000k per year. Also on street parking is massively subsided too shall we settle on 15 euro per hour?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    Whoever gets in if they sort out all the country’s problems it will mean more taxes, you can’t win.

Seriously, are you for real?

For most of the history of this state, the governments and by extension the people of this state who elected them have been unable to solve the issues of this state.
    Up until the 90s the solution to most of the economic problems of this state was to get millions to leave.

Even up until a couple of years ago the solution to some of our social issues was to get people to go to the country next door.

We have been quite happy to create a class of welfare careerist.
    We had a chance to change that during our booms, but it was just reinforced.
    No government will touch that no more than any government can truly solve the Health care system and HSE.
    We can fire billions more at it and yet we still have the glorious wastage, the systemic failures killing people, the tribunals and court cases.

We are becoming ever more lawless and our criminal system is a merry-go-round for the benefit of the legal profession and professional do gooders.
    Is any party outright saying we need to build prisons ?

We had to attract foreign investment because we had no climate or true inbuilt assistances to support indigenous industry bar somethings related to agri sector.
    I remember seeing how Irish banks treated small Irish manufacturers in the 90s only for the fookers to fire out money with abandon to developers a decade later.

We are some day going to live to regret fact we have not built our own industries.

Our economy is to a large degree outside the control of our government.
    If tax regimes change majorily elsewhere we could be truly fooked.
    If there is major world downturn we get screwed.
    A very hard brexit and we could lose thousands of jobs.

Now saying that we would truly screw ourselves if a high tax party, with delusions of solutions of taxing the rich to solve all problems, were to get into power.
    blanch152 wrote: »
    Yes, it truly matters who is forming the next Government.

The greatest challenges of our time are the twin issues of climate change and the human effect on the environment. A Green presence in government is absolutely necessary as a result.

We are p**ing into the wind, and so are most of the small nations, if the big polluters like US, China, India, Russia, etc and Australia with it's coal production do nothing.
    Yes, it will mean hardship for some, maybe even hardship for all, but some very difficult decisions need to be taken in these areas. Without the Greens, any other party will not have the stomach for it.

You are relying on a party led by a buffoon that seriously thinks wolves can be reintroduced into Ireland. :rolleyes:

A thundering eejit of a man with not an iota of cop on.

You might as well have Danny Healy Rae as science minister to complete the set FFS.
    The Greens are in no danger of getting an overall majority so the best we can hope for is that they have a meaningful influence on government policy.

Yeah because the last time they had influence they held rallies to discuss a stag hunt whilst the country, sorry the citizens and taxpayers, were sold down the river with bailouts and NAMA.

I am not allowed discuss …

You forgot to answer who was in power, a simple oversight you'll correct now I'm sure.

That's wonderful for you and your family. What about people not so lucky? They are hard working too.

Why are houses unaffordable in Ireland but not other European countries? We've turned housing into investments and they haven't. The left claim they will build affordable public houses which aren't intended to enrich an already rich landlord and developer set. At the end of the day it's unlikely they do worse than FF/FG and if they do you know what at least we tried.

The recessions in the 50’s amd 70’s were a symptom of our inward nature and lack of infrastructure and trade.
    By joining Europe investment flooded in amd we developed in bounds as a nation.

In case it slipped your attention the 2008 fiasco was a global collapse and the banking baleout was endorsed by the left parties like SF, literally because there was no other option to remain a functioning society.

It’s easy for those on the sidelines to navelgaze amd day they would have done different and stuck it to whoever, but they weren’t in power so it’s easy to spout crap.

We’re not lucky, we worked hard, lived modest lives and as a result we have bettered ourselves.

People can still do it and are doing it. I see it all the time. Getting an education, making sensible lifestyle choices, working hard, compromising and making progress.

No matter who is in government the “can’t work, won’t work” brigade cannot all have free everything

I really think there arent many cant work dont work type people, and the ones who fit that descripsh are probably too thick to be employed anyway

I really think there arent many cant work dont work type people, and the ones who fit that descripsh are probably too thick to be employed anyway

Don’t be a fool.
    There are hoards on the social who have chosen that as a career.

Also regarding india and china and pointless ireland doing anything. Biodiversity is under serious threat in ireland and has been for ages. Polluted waterways and loss of habitat and species. The Greens hope to change this for the better.

Don’t be a fool.
    There are hoards on the social who have chosen that as a career.

The employment figures don't seem to reflect that though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

mariaalice wrote: »
    So you know all the problems, do you have any of the answers?

It's up to him not government to solve problems?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

given that I reckon there is a good chance FF will sink the place again, if the major party, yeah I think it matters alright!

The only benefit I could PERHAPS see with FF/SF coalition, is they might improve the housing situation for the hard workers, couldnt be arsed listening about the homeless anymore!

I think under FF the economy would receive a short term positive bounce from where it is now, but where does it end up? There are so many factors and potential events, nobody can predict the outcome...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

During the height of our bubble when you had lots of employment in basic services, in basic retail you had near 100,000 long term unemployed.

In June 2005 you had 159,000 odd on the live register which was around 156,000 when seasonally adjusted.
    Also regarding india and china and pointless ireland doing anything. Biodiversity is under serious threat in ireland and has been for ages. Polluted waterways and loss of habitat and species. The Greens hope to change this for the better.

Ehh what do they intend doing ?

Will your wet dreams come through where all the livestock in Ireland magically disappears ?

I am not allowed discuss …

Yes hopefully they get rid of lots of the livestock and ban one off housing. Id die a happy man.

The recessions in the 50’s amd 70’s were a symptom of our inward nature and lack of infrastructure and trade.
    By joining Europe investment flooded in amd we developed in bounds as a nation.

In case it slipped your attention the 2008 fiasco was a global collapse and the banking baleout was endorsed by the left parties like SF, literally because there was no other option to remain a functioning society.

It’s easy for those on the sidelines to navelgaze amd day they would have done different and stuck it to whoever, but they weren’t in power so it’s easy to spout crap.

We’re not lucky, we worked hard, lived modest lives and as a result we have bettered ourselves.

People can still do it and are doing it. I see it all the time. Getting an education, making sensible lifestyle choices, working hard, compromising and making progress.

No matter who is in government the “can’t work, won’t work” brigade cannot all have free everything
    No of course you're not lucky you just worked harder than the nurse who can't live in Dublin anymore. Why don't you just come out and say 'I'm alright Jack' because that's what you're saying.

So none of them where caused by the left.

What can't work, won't work brigade we've near full employment?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭PMBC

It is highly unlikely that a major or minor government change will have any noticeable impact on the issues facing Ireland.
    Reason being that the issue facing Ireland are at the very least 30 years in the making. Therefore it would be reasonable to assume that it will take at least half of that time to fix these issues.

The issues are two fold: People and Policy.

People expect to much.
    People (particularly the latest generation) aren't hungry enough, 90% of kids turning entering adulthood have never had to lift a finger.
    People place instant gratification over long term achievements.
    People don't hold government and others accountable enough for their mistakes/wrong doings.
    People don't plan enough for the future.

Policy on housing has been poor.
    Policy on awarding government contracts has been poor.
    Policy on Crime/Law has been exceptionally poor.
    Policy on public sector employment/unions has been poor.
    Policy on taxation has been poor.
    Policy on financial regulation has been poor.
    Policy on food production has been poor.
    Policy on transport and infra has been exceptionally poor.
    Policy on immigration has been poor.
    Policy on Social Welfare/Health has been exceptionally poor.

There is also a serious disconnect between "the People" and elected officials, given just over half of our elected are millionaires.

No Government can fix this in 5 years.
    They might be able to fix 2 or 3 Policy issues, but that's it.

Im interested in your line '..... over half of our elected officials are millionaires'. How is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

There's a figure of 38,000 that is bandied about of people who have never worked. Not sure of the make-up of the numbers but there are a lot of workshy people in that.

No of course you're not lucky you just worked harder than the nurse who can't live in Dublin anymore. Why don't you just come out and say 'I'm alright Jack' because that's what you're saying.

So none of them where caused by the left.

What can't work, won't work brigade we've near full employment?

Maybe I did work harder maybe I didn’t, maybe I just made better choices.

What I’m saying is that in the whole those who educate themselves and work hard progress in life.

Choosing to live in Dublin is for people who will rent for their whole lives. If you don’t want that move your life to a more affordable place. There are openings for nurses across the country where houses are affordable, since you used nurses in your example.
    People can’t expect to work at ordinary jobs and afford houses in Dublin, that’s life, suck it up and compromise or make a better life choice or whatever you want to call it.

Success is down to planning and choices, curveballs and compromises along the way. But digging your heels in and insisting you buy a house in Dublin is foolish.

is_that_so wrote: »
    There's a figure of 38,000 that is bandied about of people who have never worked. Not sure of the make-up of the numbers but there are a lot of workshy people in that.

And did you use the force or read the coffee grinds to decide this?

Instead of worrying about an unknown percentage of an already tiny percentage. You'd be much better off worrying about the cost of living.

• Advertisement

Maybe I did work harder maybe I didn’t, maybe I just made better choices.

What I’m saying is that in the whole those who educate themselves and work hard progress in life.

Choosing to live in Dublin is for people who will rent for their whole lives. If you don’t want that move your life to a more affordable place. There are openings for nurses across the country where houses are affordable, since you used nurses in your example.
    People can’t expect to work at ordinary jobs and afford houses in Dublin, that’s life, suck it up and compromise or make a better life choice or whatever you want to call it.

Success is down to planning and choices, curveballs and compromises along the way. But digging your heels in and insisting you buy a house in Dublin is foolish.
    It's not much of a city with no hospitals or schools.
    Move to a more affordable place and spend your life in a car or train?
    Have you been living in Ireland for the last decade? Those who've gone and got an education bettered themselves as you say are struggling by

Advertisement