Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Payment from online order went through three times

• 28-01-2020 4:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭

I was doing an online order from the States. The payment section came and when I pressed the pay now option, a notice came up saying something like - payment address doesn't match. I was using addresspal for the delivery option. From what I saw, the order didn't finish.

I did the process again but with my Irish address for the billing address and same thing happened.

Third time and I used PayPal.

I checked my online banking to see the order went in 3 times and payments were taken 3 times.

I checked my email and there's one email confirmation from the company I ordered from. There's another confirmation from PayPal.

How do I fix this and get my money back for two out of three of these payments

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fireball81

owlbethere wrote: »
    I was doing an online order from the States. The payment section came and when I pressed the pay now option, a notice came up saying something like - payment address doesn't match. I was using addresspal for the delivery option. From what I saw, the order didn't finish.

I did the process again but with my Irish address for the billing address and same thing happened.

Third time and I used PayPal.

I checked my online banking to see the order went in 3 times and payments were taken 3 times.

I checked my email and there's one email confirmation from the company I ordered from. There's another confirmation from PayPal.

How do I fix this and get my money back for two out of three of these payments

If it's a reputable retailer then there should be no problem.

Do you have 3 orders as perhaps your bank and paypal has pre authorised 3 times (and the duplicates will fall away).

I'd try the retailer first as the bank will probably ask you if you contacted them if you try speaking to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Fireball81 wrote: »
    If it's a reputable retailer then there should be no problem.

Do you have 3 orders as perhaps your bank and paypal has pre authorised 3 times (and the duplicates will fall away).

I'd try the retailer first as the bank will probably ask you if you contacted them if you try speaking to them.

Thanks so much for your reply.

I checked my email and there's one order confirmation and it says it's paid for by PayPal. So the order with PayPal went through.

I emailed the shop I bought from. They said they only got one order from me.

There's nearly 200 euro caught up in pre authorization fees. They haven't been released yet. I really need the money back now because last week was a very hard week - dental bill, electricity bill and bins all in one week.

Will I phone the banking number on the back of my card and dispute these costs or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

Similar has happened to me. When I rang my bank they told me the money was in "shading", which is basically pre authorisation as you say, and it takes a few days to be cleared. There was nothing they would/could do for me to speed up the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fireball81

owlbethere wrote: »
    I emailed the shop I bought from. They said they only got one order from me.

There's nearly 200 euro caught up in pre authorization fees. They haven't been released yet. I really need the money back now because last week was a very hard week - dental bill, electricity bill and bins all in one week.

Will I phone the banking number on the back of my card and dispute these costs or something?

Try the bank, pre authorisations are supposed to clear within 3-4 days. Not sure what/if they can do anything.

• Advertisement

Fireball81 wrote: »
    Try the bank, pre authorisations are supposed to clear within 3-4 days. Not sure what/if they can do anything.

Thanks for your reply. The funds still are not back in my account. I suppose tomorrow will be the fourth working day from the order date. If the funds aren't back my the morning time, I will phone the bank.

Advertisement