Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hate my role, like the company- should I be honest at my probation review?

Options
  • 28-01-2020 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭

I am coming to the end of my probationary period in a new company. I quickly realised I made a mistake in taking this role and I have no interest in the work- it doesn’t align to my skills, experience or degree, and I feel I’m not learning anything or achieving anything. However, it’s a huge company and there are lots of other roles I would be interested in in the future.

However, company policy states that you have to stay in a new role for 2 years before moving. There’s no way I’m staying on this team for another year and a half. Do I lie to my managers and say everything is great at my probation end review, get my bit of paper saying I’m permanent and then immediately beg to leave, or do I be honest now and run the risk of them extending the probation? :-/

I’m also very keen to get on the property ladder, so really don’t want to change companies right now. But I also don’t like the idea of lying to my managers to get made permanent.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Hard to say on this one without knowing the manager. What's your relationship like there? Can you get a feel off other employees about how flexible the company is? I would say though that you probably need to be performing very well for them to make the effort to keep you happy.
    What's going in your favour is that we've low unemployment and there's unlikely to be a long line of people waiting to take any job, so replacing people isn't the easiest in the world.

Being honest, if you KNOW you're not going to stick around, then I'd bring it up, no point tossing away an opportunity to move into something fun/cool. But if you could suck it up for the point you're there a year, I'd do it then instead. It's a better milestone to look at from a job move perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Keep your head down and get the permanent position if you think you need it for a mortgage. I presume probabtion is over fairly soon?

Have you met anyone in HR, or have you sounded out on the quiet with colleagues how easy it is to move department? I doubt they are that strict that they would turn down a potential internal move for someone with a good shillset for another position.

In the meantime, keep your eyes open for another job, do it on your own time in the evenings. Don't be looking at recruitment sites during work hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭Shelga

Thanks for the replies. I like one out of two of my managers. I could tolerate staying in the role for a year. But is probation the right time to bring up with him that I really can’t stay for two years? To me, it’s this stupid, arbitrary rule that’s the problem.

I think if I’m honest with him in the 3/4 months after I’m made permanent, he won’t make me stay in a role I’m miserable in. I hope!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Shelga wrote: »
    I’m also very keen to get on the property ladder, so really don’t want to change companies right now.

Well then this is the key part.

Keep the job, develop a relationship with the manager/team you want to move to, develop your skills, and then move department in 21 months.

Or move to a new job.

I know that miserable feeling. It sucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Thanks for the replies. I like one out of two of my managers. I could tolerate staying in the role for a year. But is probation the right time to bring up with him that I really can’t stay for two years? To me, it’s this stupid, arbitrary rule that’s the problem.

I think if I’m honest with him in the 3/4 months after I’m made permanent, he won’t make me stay in a role I’m miserable in. I hope!

No, don't bring it up with him. Try to develop a relationship with him and other managers. make your feelings known once you have a permanent contract.

I doubt they are hard and fast on that rule.

• Advertisement

Well, one of my managers did something last week to a colleague that at best was petty and misguided; at worst is spiteful bullying.

I have to speak up- I’m getting my bit of paper and then I’m making every effort to get the hell off this team.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

I am coming to the end of my probationary period in a new company. I quickly realised I made a mistake in taking this role and I have no interest in the work- it doesn’t align to my skills, experience or degree, and I feel I’m not learning anything or achieving anything. However, it’s a huge company and there are lots of other roles I would be interested in in the future.

However, company policy states that you have to stay in a new role for 2 years before moving. There’s no way I’m staying on this team for another year and a half. Do I lie to my managers and say everything is great at my probation end review, get my bit of paper saying I’m permanent and then immediately beg to leave, or do I be honest now and run the risk of them extending the probation? :-/

I’m also very keen to get on the property ladder, so really don’t want to change companies right now. But I also don’t like the idea of lying to my managers to get made permanent.

Start looking for a job that you would be happy doing straight away. Life is too short and the place is full of middle aged workers who kept the head down and played it safe and started looking forward to retirement while still in their 40's!

Start looking for a job that you would be happy doing straight away. Life is too short and the place is full of middle aged workers who kept the head down and played it safe and started looking forward to retirement while still in their 40's!

Usually I’d completely agree but this is already my third job in 3 years- I just want off this team.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Usually I’d completely agree but this is already my third job in 3 years- I just want off this team.

3 jobs in 3 years! Why so?

3 jobs in 3 years! Why so?

First place went bust, I then left the second place for my current job as I got a large pay rise, and I’m trying to get a mortgage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

First place went bust, I then left the second place for my current job as I got a large pay rise, and I’m trying to get a mortgage.

That's all pretty reasonable and explainable in a CV.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

Don't tell the manager you hate the role. They'll be annoyed over it. They'll feel they've wasted time in training you up. They might even take it personally and start making your life difficult. Also come pay review bonus time they won't care about looking after you... they'll give the money to the people who want to stay in the job...not the ones who want to leave.

Advertisement