Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are these things?

Options
  • 28-01-2020 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭

Not specific to Newbridge, I have seen them elsewhere but has anyone seen these little silver bottles/vials on the ground? They look just like the aluminium water bottle that Penny’s sell, except smaller. It seems the tops are broke off - Are they related to/used for drugs, or perhaps something more innocent? I have a pic but can’t attach from phone

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

I would guess they are Nitrous Oxide (Laughing Gas) cartridges, also called "Hippy Crack".
    Must be a new craze, I saw a pile of them on the roadside in the hills around Dublin last weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭poppers

Not specific to Newbridge, I have seen them elsewhere but has anyone seen these little silver bottles/vials on the ground? They look just like the aluminium water bottle that Penny’s sell, except smaller. It seems the tops are broke off - Are they related to/used for drugs, or perhaps something more innocent? I have a pic but can’t attach from phone

Prob canisters of Co2 used by cyclists to pump their tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

poppers wrote: »
    Although they look the same, I dont think they were CO2, there were about 20 in this pile. Dont know any cyclist that would carry (and dump) that many.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,269 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

poppers wrote: »

Don't they have like, pumps, anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,792 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Definitely nitrous "whippits" or whatever they call them when used as a high

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Don't they have like, pumps, anymore?

We do. But you can't pump up your tyres fully with a hand pump so the compressed air is better. I carry one in my saddle bag. That said they are rarely used because punctures are not that common and most cyclists wouldn't throw them on the side of the road anyway. A pile of them is definitely whippets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Joe Public

Presume you are talking about these? they are found on the ground in Celbridge as well. They are small laughing gas bottles

501600.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

They could be co2 cartridges and can be used in cycle pumps and airsoft http://www.sgairsoft.biz/dublin/index.php/component/virtuemart/bbs-gas/product-39-detail?Itemid=0
    So depending where you see them could be related to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭2011abc

Seeing as we're identify mysterious objects what are the vertical green 'bars'( look plastic) on M4 off ramps ?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

2011abc wrote: »
    Seeing as we're identify mysterious objects what are the vertical green 'bars'( look plastic) on M4 off ramps ?

These are dividers to stop headlights blinding oncoming traffic.

China etc use them on their motorway a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

pardon my ignorance but how do you use them?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,792 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Pop the narrow end with something quite sharp and inhale

The canisters are sold for use to make fluffed up desserts officially and as a result can be bought in bulk easily; balloons filled off tanks was always the hardcore away of abusing NOx but gas suppliers now want proof you have a legit use - this causes trouble if you're using it on a modified/performance car which is probably the only legit reason a normal punter would have for getting tanks.

I would assume that cake supply shops now get very VERY suspicious of repeat bulk purchasers!

Advertisement