Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Billie eilish - Major Grammy winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

I don't get it at all. I listened to a couple of her songs to see what the fuss was about but they lack any decent melody I don't really know why they're successful as pop songs. Even though I'm old I still like most kinds of music but this one just doesn't make sense to me.

marketing to the impressionable masses has more to do with her "success"

• Registered Users Posts: 16,950 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Effects wrote: »
    I doubt that. There would be far too many to have heard most of them.
    Maybe mainstream acts.

That was the point I was making.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Lol Kenny G, not a fan but he is literally Mr.Saxophone, at least in the US anyway

He's some sax player in fairness!

I was always more of a clarence clemens man myself though.

Well or candy dulfer if we're watching videos!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

dubstarr wrote: »
    Im surprised Weird Al hasnt dione a parody of Billie

He did?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭GhostofKNugget

topper75 wrote: »
    Excellent, to the point where it is impossible to say how or why it seems on this thread. :o

Like most good artists, she pilfers from a variety of different genres, to arrive at something distinctively her own. A sort of angsty, post-millennial version of pop music that bends and twists in interesting and unexpected ways.

Is that the type of thing you're after?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Well or candy dulfer if we're watching videos!

She's very saxually appealing.

That joke hurt me more than any of you :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Like most good artists, she pilfers from a variety of different genres, to arrive at something distinctively her own. A sort of angsty, post-millennial version of pop music that bends and twists in interesting and unexpected ways.

Is that the type of thing you're after?

It doesn't have enough detail to win me over into liking her necessarily. :D
    But that is not the point - I'm an ould fart who didn't care much for the popcharts even when I was young. I just demand that people offer some rational was to why they think she is good/great. When you hear all the mentions but no justification, then it is mere hype: "she's cool because someone suggested to me that I should think she is cool".

You've gone way above anyone else on the thread so far to try and do that. Congrats (or perhaps condolences) on having a mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

There,s a lot of country singers who sell millions of albums in america,
    who no one has heard of in europe.
    biilie eillish is a talented singer and songwriter .
    i think she should have got 2 grammy,s
    and the other 2 could gone to maybe lizzo, or ariana grande or someone else .
    Many singers ignore the grammys as it has a history of ignoring
    many black rap singers and black female singers .
    And mostly giving awards to white middle of the road groups like u2 .
    Giving the 4 grammys to billie was a safe bet as she sold millions of albums,
    and she ,s a young female singer, songwriter.
    i don,t think she pilfered any thing,
    her music is emo/gothic pop .
    she is very original and she writes her own songs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Kids today and their 'music' *shakes fist* :)
    I like her and she writes her own stuff.
    Beyonce gets all critically acclaimed for her lemonade concept album with a football team of writers. Nice to see an up and comer writing their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

topper75 wrote: »
    It doesn't have enough detail to win me over into liking her necessarily. :D
    But that is not the point - I'm an ould fart who didn't care much for the popcharts even when I was young. I just demand that people offer some rational was to why they think she is good/great. When you hear all the mentions but no justification, then it is mere hype: "she's cool because someone suggested to me that I should think she is cool".

You've gone way above anyone else on the thread so far to try and do that. Congrats (or perhaps condolences) on having a mind.
    Jesus christ, you come across as incredibly pompous and condescending. And I'm Woke Hogan!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 mickthewall

Since she’s 18 now is it okay to say I find her incredibly attractive!!

I’d say she’s some demon in the sack with lyrics such as “bruises on both my knees for you.“

Her Music is unique and pretty dam good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Since she’s 18 now is it okay to say I find her incredibly attractive!!

I’d say she’s some demon in the sack with lyrics such as “bruises on both my knees for you.“

Her Music is unique and pretty dam good
    Are those lyrics from the song that sounds like some 90s video game?

Led Zeppelin received no Grammys during their career together from 68-80. That's how much value the Grammys really have.

Are those lyrics from the song that sounds like some 90s video game?

Led Zeppelin received no Grammys during their career together from 68-80. That's how much value the Grammys really have.
    Led Zeppelin were highly overrated. Whats worse is they used to slag off the criminally underrated Black Sabbath, even in person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

lyrics such as “bruises on both my knees for you.“
    Jeez and people say she's great for not being all sexualised.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,889 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    Led Zeppelin were highly overrated. Whats worse is they used to slag off the criminally underrated Black Sabbath, even in person.

Paranoid will be released 50 years this year

PsychoPete wrote: »
    Paranoid will be released 50 years this year
    What's your point, exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

A walking talking female edgelord, I really don’t get the fascination with her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Ah here, there's an episode of The Simpsons which aired before she was born where a bell hop gets an award statuette from Homer as a tip, is all excited, sees it's a Grammy, and tosses it away in disappointment.
    "Aw... it's a Grammy :("

/throws it over the balcony

*voice below* "Hey! Don't throw your garbage down here!"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Jeez and people say she's great for not being all sexualised.

She gets away with it because her arse and tits are not hanging out

• Registered Users Posts: 16,950 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

dubstarr wrote: »
    She gets away with it because her arse and tits are not hanging out

Give it time...

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

Kids today and their 'music' *shakes fist* :)
    I like her and she writes her own stuff.
    Beyonce gets all critically acclaimed for her lemonade concept album with a football team of writers. Nice to see an up and comer writing their own.

Her older brother actually writes a large portion of it and she has teams of producers too - every pop singer big enough to get on the radio does. They try to downplay this aspect of BE's output and push this image of her being a songwriter but anyone who buys that is naive. She's 17 and as you can see in interviews she has the attention span of a housefly and isn't exactly an encyclopedia of musical knowledge, no way she has written that album herself, maybe some of the lyrics but she doesn't do the beats or any instrument parts at all thats all Finneas and ghostwriters/producers.

Her older brother actually writes a large portion of it and she has teams of producers too - every pop singer big enough to get on the radio does. They try to downplay this aspect of BE's output and push this image of her being a songwriter but anyone who buys that is naive. She's 17 and as you can see in interviews she has the attention span of a housefly and isn't exactly an encyclopedia of musical knowledge, no way she has written that album herself, maybe some of the lyrics but she doesn't do the beats or any instrument parts at all thats all Finneas and ghostwriters/producers.

Citation needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,888 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Despite what some people here have said, I haven't seen anyone actually get angry at her for not hearing of Van Halen or Run DMC, just surprise. I know that she's young and all but I'm kind of surprised too since she's in the industry. Not that it really matters or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,780 ✭✭✭buried

I was under the impression from a few people I know who are into this project that the two of them were just noodling away in their bedroom making tunes, then they made it big, but after looking into it, I see the brother is an established actor already in pay of the entertainment industry. Same goes for their Mum too. This auld shtick I was told of two everyday kids bleeping away in their everyday bedroom background and then making it big on their own back ain't exactly holding up.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭perrito caliente

A shadowy cabal of boring producers selling the myth of genius to teenagers with lame music for the purpose of making buckets of cash money.

As the other poster said, all these people are actors.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭SnazzyPig

Woke Hogan wrote: »

Black Sabbath are not 'criminally underrated' ( I'm a big fan) but the fact that you take offense at young men slagging off their neighbours really tallies wiht your wokeness.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,508 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

buried wrote: »
    I was under the impression from a few people I know who are into this project that the two of them were just noodling away in their bedroom making tunes, then they made it big, but after looking into it, I see the brother is an established actor already in pay of the entertainment industry. Same goes for their Mum too. This auld shtick I was told of two everyday kids bleeping away in their everyday bedroom background and then making it big on their own back ain't exactly holding up.

I dunno. The brother has appeared in a few things and the mother has appeared in a few things, I wouldn't have called them madly successful on the acting front. Name one thing her mother was in without Google or Wikipedia.

Seriously, try.

If you look at the credits for the songs themselves her brother is the sole credited producer for every single one, and the two of them are the only credited writers for every song, aside from the ones where he gets the sole credit.

Usually, when it comes to mainstream pop, there's an alphabet soup of numerous names once you look into the credits of the songs. Okay, to be fair, there are a couple of names credited elsewhere - for mastering and "studio personnel" - but it's still a pretty sparse amount. Whatever about the conspiracy theories, people tend to credited for their work, even on big successful pop hits. Look at the credits for anything by anyone and you will usually find plenty of names, but there doesn't really seem to be that many attached in this case.

It's kind of used of somewhat of a negative mark against the music that maybe they may have had one or two more doors open to them, compared to some complete stranger on the street, but surely that's totally irrelevant if you want to discuss the quality of the music, objectively - which I would have assumed was the only conversation worth having?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

buried wrote: »

She was "found" on SoundCloud.She was releasing music there.

Her family might be actors but they are not exactly the Fondas

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

After reading this thread and hearing 2 of her songs i have become infatuated with her. She seems to thank her brother a lot so she's not hiding it like someone like Drake (supposedly). After hearing Bad guy I kind of classed her a new teeny bob that's music i was getting too old for.

But the I listened to When the party's over and everything I wanted about 100 times. There's a line 'But my head was under water' and it sounds like she's underwater, I've never heard anything as amazing as that, it was the most inspirational piece of music that I've heard in a long time, genius and so unique.

ps. Can anyone else recommend another song by her?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

She's very saxually appealing.

That joke hurt me more than any of you :(

Her debut album was called saxuality.

She knows she's hot!
    Oranage2 wrote: »
    But the I listened to When the party's over and everything I wanted about 100 times. There's a line 'But my head was under water' and it sounds like she's underwater, I've never heard anything as amazing as that, it was the most inspirational piece of music that I've heard in a long time, genius and so unique.

ps. Can anyone else recommend another song by her?

I like "bury a friend" myself.

I agree with Deebles, it's far too early to start throwing genius around, but she is a bit different to other 18 year old teeny boppers.

She could possibly turn out to be this generations Van Halen:D:D

Advertisement