Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Billie eilish - Major Grammy winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Feisar wrote: »
    Ah come on, Rage Against the Machine are pretty awesome in fairness.

Jaysus I had RATM on cassette in my Walkman back in 94/95.

Got me through many a Bus Eireann journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,508 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Which puts them in the same bracket as such artistic titans as Meatloaf and Shania Twain.

In fairness to Meatloaf, he's probably more of a two hit wonder than a one hit wonder.

Yes, two other household Names.

I didn't say anything about the quality of Van Halen. They haven't done much for me, personally, but I can't deny that they were a huge band back in the day. One hit wonders don't sell Eighty Million albums worldwide. It's a bit silly to claim otherwise.

That link you put in there is to a completely unrelated story from The Guardian.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,508 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Jaysus I had RATM on cassette in my Walkman back in 94/95.

Got me through many a Bus Eireann journey.

Ah, I can't get too vexed if people below the age of 25-26 haven't listened to watched anything older than at most 10 years old: just seems to be the way it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

When's the last time you heard one of their songs? Or Huey Lewis or Run DMC for that matter.

Van Halen still get a lot of airplay in California, for what it's worth. And anyone who has seen "Back to the Future" will know Huey Lewis.

Run-DMC is the one that surprises me most. She's talked a lot about how important rap and hip hop are to her music — and yet she doesn't know Run-DMC, who are "regarded as one of the most influential acts in the history of hip hop culture" according to Wikipedia.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

Neither had heard of Pearl Jam either and one of them heard of Guns n roses. These guys were 26 and 23. Into Kendrick and Hip hop stuff, Portmalone etc.

Need a lot of port to put up with Post Malone's music. Mumble rap is awful sh1te.

• Advertisement

The music is typical manufactured pop trash. The performer seems manufactured also, something very fake and unsettling about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

The music is typical manufactured pop trash. The performer seems manufactured also, something very fake and unsettling about them.

Are you talking about Sam Smith? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭GhostofKNugget

Van Halen still get a lot of airplay in California, for what it's worth. And anyone who has seen "Back to the Future" will know Huey Lewis.

Run-DMC is the one that surprises me most. She's talked a lot about how important rap and hip hop are to her music — and yet she doesn't know Run-DMC, who are "regarded as one of the most influential acts in the history of hip hop culture" according to Wikipedia.

Meh, she's 18... she's probably busier making music than trying to develop an encyclopaedic knowledge of music. There's plenty rap and hip-hop out there to influence you beyond Run DMC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

Which puts them in the same bracket as such artistic titans as Meatloaf and Shania Twain.

Van Halen have sold more albums in the US than Queen, U2, Fleetwood Mac, Bob Dylan, Simon & Garfunkel, Eric Clapton, and Guns N’ Roses. That level of popularity isn't achieved easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Have listened to a few of her tracks but its not really for me but can see how others like it. Can hear how well it is produced though and have to give kudos to a couple of kids making that in their bedroom. Reminds me of when Lorde hit the scene, I just couldnt get over that a 17 year old was writing and performing that kind of music

Read an article about Eilish the other day and the writer was going on about how she is going to be the pall bearer for a new era of pop, tied it in with Generation Z rejecting social norms and how Eilish is leading a rebirth of emo/goth culture. It said fans are dressing the same and the record company execs love this because it means her clothes & style are also a commodity.

• Advertisement

Yeah, it was mixed and mastered by people that had mixed Beyonce and more..

I think the "bedroom to worldwide fame" story might be a bit iffy..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Van Halen have sold more albums in the US than Queen, U2, Fleetwood Mac, Bob Dylan, Simon & Garfunkel, Eric Clapton, and Guns N’ Roses. That level of popularity isn't achieved easily.

That maybe true,but they certainly are not universally as popular or as groundbreaking as the other bands mentioned

dubstarr wrote: »
    That maybe true,but they certainly are not universally as popular or as groundbreaking as the other bands mentioned

I'm not a fan of Van Halen but they had a massive impact on heavy metal and guitar virtuosity with Eddie Van Halen's use of techniques like tapping and hammer-ons. They are hugely influential.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Arghus wrote: »
    Ah, I can't get too vexed if people below the age of 25-26 haven't listened to watched anything older than at most 10 years old: just seems to be the way it is.

It will get to tho point teens keen to be part of the scene (and who doesn’t) won’t just want to listen to that old stuff but won’t want to be digging up records of the dead

Unless you’re the much maligned lesser spotted goth? Black is in; alright just not that kind of black...

I wish I didn't know who Van Halen were..

dubstarr wrote: »
    LOL. Eddie revolutionised rock guitar more so than any other artist post-Hendrix.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Her music doesn't do anything for me, but most modern pop doesn't. She does at least contribute to the writing process, so fair play to her on her success.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

I wish I didn't know who Van Halen were..

Sammy Hagar or Gary Cherone?

Bobblehats wrote: »
    Sammy Hagar or Gary Cherone?

Ffs, it's only ever going to be David Lee Roth...

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Absolute TUUUUUUUUUUUUUNE!

absolute and utter scutter....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

DLR all days lads :)

I find it strange that an apparently accomplished artist claims to not have heard of major music acts who have influenced her and her influences in some way. Its like me saying I never heard of Led Zeppelin or The Beatles because they were before my time. Robert Johnson? Herbie Hancock? Jimi Hendrix? Nah, no idea, so presumably sh*te?

Imagine Messi saying he's never heard of Pele or Cruyff. Essentially, she's said it to look edgy. Almost as edgy as her stylists try to make her look.

How is this an AH thread by the way?

I dunno..VH haven't been in the public awareness since the mid nineties like other bands from that era who left a more lasting impression, or the others who reformed to milk the hits..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Great music, fair play to her and her brother.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

. Its like me saying I never heard of Led Zeppelin or The Beatles because they were before my time.

Ah it's not though is it

Comparing Van Halen to them :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

It is worth noting that when Michael Jackson wanted some street/rock cred on his Thriller album he roped in Eddie van Halen for the guitar work on 'Beat It'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

It is worth noting that when Michael Jackson wanted some street/rock cred on his Thriller album he roped in Eddie van Halen for the guitar work on 'Beat It'.

Who's he?

:pac:

He didn't realise that it was a different type of fingering that he was famous for...

So we can call her Eilish O'Connell.

Or billy irish. She does cut a very irish profile or at least as we knew it:

02--ihr-schlimmstes-date---2-3---spoton-article-730332.jpg

Btw can someone point me where she reflected that image in her music? Thanks ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

I like some of her songs. I'm hoping she eventually branches out from the whispered/breathy singing, but it works for the music she's currently releasing.

I'm not bothered by her not knowing those bands. She's 18 - I didn't delve too much into pop music from 20 years ago at that age either, and while I was not an international recording artist, I am a classically trained musician and was attending university as a music major at that time (so I was listening to music that was 200 years older than me, not 20). You dig what you dig, you know? There are still several years of pop music that I should know given my age, but don't because I was doing other things. Making music means you don't have as much time to listen to music. And unplugging after a day of practicing or performing sometimes means listening to music you're familiar with (comfort music) and/or doing something completely unrelated to music.

Finally, just because some new pop singer hasn't heard of your favorite band, that doesn't invalidate that band or your enjoyment of them. Look at it this way - at the tender age of 18, Billie still has a lot of music to discover and learn about in the coming years, and that's a way more exciting prospect than having already heard everything.

Advertisement