Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Billie eilish - Major Grammy winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Muahahaha wrote: »
    HIt said fans are dressing the same and the record company execs love this because it means her clothes & style are also a commodity.

I work down the street from the music college, BIMM. There's a few women that are doing everything they can to look just like her.
    I'm not sure the music business has room for clones though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Ah it's not though is it

Comparing Van Halen to them :pac:

For anyone involved in music it should be! VH are just as influential as LZ or Beatles were, just a generation apart.

Even forgetting VH, how has she never heard of Run DMC? Ridiculous claim for someone in her genre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

I like her, and Bad Guy is great, but the way she won virtually everything was BS. I don't think her album was better than Lana's NFR. They could have spread the wealth a bit more. I think she's very well connected in the industry. Also think it weird how sexual her songs are considering her brother writes them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

Mumbling over a muffled bass beat is genius now?

It's crap music and her image, whilst commendable for not being trashy, has a rather dark/evil vibe in how she portrays herself as a crazy demonic girl. Saw one video where she's walking around dripping in blood. Yeah great image to be showing our kids.

Yeah because being a wholesome role model is how you get adolescents and teens on the bandwagon lmao.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

For anyone involved in music it should be! VH are just as influential as LZ or Beatles were, just a generation apart.

Even forgetting VH, how has she never heard of Run DMC? Ridiculous claim for someone in her genre.

I am not buying it for one second. She is just trying to be too cool for school.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

I like her, and Bad Guy is great, but the way she won virtually everything was BS.

My niece has it as her ringtone. What often happens, is an advert comes on the television with it which can be very disorientating :o

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I find her extremely attractive due to her voice and wont hear a bad word said against her

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭GhostofKNugget

Also think it weird how sexual her songs are considering her brother writes them.

She co-writes with the brother. Some people seem to have a hard time believing that. I've listened to some of the brother's solo stuff and I wouldn't find as interesting as what they've done together.

Feisar wrote: »
    Ah come on, Rage Against the Machine are pretty awesome in fairness.

Most people in their early 20s just won't be into it though.
    It's good music, but it's not of their era.

She co-writes with the brother. Some people seem to have a hard time believing that.

I think people just want to believe that she has no talent, and is just a performer.
    It's a bit sexist, but it happens a lot in the music industry it seems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭HBC08

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Another bizarrely hyped act imo is Kendrick Lamarr.

I watched watched the first 15 mins of the grammys the last night.

Ill see your Kendrick Lamarr and raise you Tyler The Creator
    Holy fcuk

• Registered Users Posts: 14,508 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Arghus wrote: »

After all this back and forth I guess I'll have to listen to her today and try to come to my own conclusions.

So, I listened to the album three times.

If I knew nothing about Billie Eilish and just listened to it blind, I'd be pretty impressed. It's a strong album. The production is the star of the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

PsychoPete wrote: »
    Just another modern day singer that mumbles through songs

Mmm mmm mmm mmmm bbbaaaa guy.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

She co-writes with the brother. Some people seem to have a hard time believing that. I've listened to some of the brother's solo stuff and I wouldn't find as interesting as what they've done together.

I find her brothers voice much more to my liking.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjmBLCbTgDo

This is so beautiful

• Registered Users Posts: 12,888 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Effects wrote: »
    Most people in their early 20s just won't be into it though.
    It's good music, but it's not of their era.

Don't believe that. A lot of metalheads of that age would be fans of RATM.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭gilmour

She reminds a lot of Tricky's Maxinquaye album in tne 90s, and thats not a bad thing in my books.

About not knowing "big" acts, i teach teenagers music and 7 years ago when one of my first students didnt know who Jimi Hendrix was shocked me, however last september i had a student who looked at me like i had horns on my head when i mentioned "The Stones? The....Rolling...Stones?" - Nothing.

They're kids, its the 1975, Ed Sheeran or TwentyOnePilots or you get Ok Boomered :mad::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

I really do not like Van Halen - and don't care that she says she hadn't heard of them (I think she genuinely hadn't) but you can't deny Eddie Van Halen's talent as a guitarist, and "Well they were just shyte whereas Billie Eilish is a genius" is just silly and disingenuous.
    Effects wrote: »
    I think people just want to believe that she has no talent, and is just a performer.
    It's a bit sexist, but it happens a lot in the music industry it seems.
    I think the opposite - bizarre over-hyping.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭apieceofcake

I like her music, ‘Bad Guy, in my opinion, is really catchy. I also like her look too, it’s quirky. Like someone else said earlier, her set at Glastonbury last year was unreal, such confidence for 18 years of age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

Van Halen were one of the most grotesquely overrated bands going. Their songs were rubbish and directly influenced a decade of ugly misogynistic cockrock in the US.

Their much hyped lead guitarist was notable only for his skill (not talent, two different things) which has long been outstripped by endless bedroom Hello Kitty guitarists anyway. She’s better off not knowing them, never mind that hipster doofus Huey Lewis and ****ing Run DMC! The Harlem Globetrotters of hip hop. Laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

I wish I didn't know who Van Halen were.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Ah here. As influential as by far the biggest band the world has ever seen?

:D

Run DMC were no Public Enemy for sure... whose high quality repertoire includes a little ditty called Don't Believe The Hype.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

Whatever your opinion of Van Halen, this 14-year-old girl has certainly heard of them and does a nice job with the drums. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

Billie Eilish probably hasn’t heard of Uriah Heap or The Edgar Winter Group either. She should be stripped of her Grammies until she’s an expert on crap dinosaur bands from the 70s.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

OK, liked bad guy. Good song

Thats all I know of her. Don't care much either way.

But, who are the grammes people really?

They're just some randomers who happen to be in that industry.
    Self elected Hollywood ****.
    Same with the rock and roll hall of fame, and all the other self confessed connoisseurs.

They happen to like certain music, good for them and the artist. Everyones happy, great.

But what if we switch these self chosen arbiters of taste for some metal heads from scandanavia. Then we end up with some screaming death metal garage band winning the correct taste in music awards.

Sales value would be a closer, although still very imperfect, indicator of 'right taste'.

So in summation, all a Grammy award says is that a panel of individual people with their own individual preferences happen to like your music.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Van Halen still get a lot of airplay in California, for what it's worth. And anyone who has seen "Back to the Future" will know Huey Lewis.

Run-DMC is the one that surprises me most. She's talked a lot about how important rap and hip hop are to her music — and yet she doesn't know Run-DMC, who are "regarded as one of the most influential acts in the history of hip hop culture" according to Wikipedia.

A lot of people haven't seen it, because it's quite an old film at this point. It also seems quite dull. I've never been able to sit through the whole of one of those films.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I honestly rate that as one of the best songs I have ever heard. Love it. Not into modern music at all, but she stands out as something of a genius.

*Cue the entrance of music snobs.

Have you been drinking? :confused:

Their early work was a little too new wave for my taste. But when Sports came out in '83, I think they really came into their own, commercially and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost. He's been compared to Elvis Costello, but I think Huey has a far more bitter, cynical sense of humour.

In '87, Huey released Fore!, their most accomplished album. I think their undisputed masterpiece is Hip To Be Square - a song so catchy, most people probably don't listen to the lyrics. But they should, because it's not just about the pleasures of conformity and the importance of trends, it's also a personal statement about the band itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Their early work was a little too new wave for my taste. But when Sports came out in '83, I think they really came into their own, commercially and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost. He's been compared to Elvis Costello, but I think Huey has a far more bitter, cynical sense of humour.

In '87, Huey released Fore!, their most accomplished album. I think their undisputed masterpiece is Hip To Be Square - a song so catchy, most people probably don't listen to the lyrics. But they should, because it's not just about the pleasures of conformity and the importance of trends, it's also a personal statement about the band itself.

HEY PAUL!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭The Phantom Jipper

My main takeaway was the lyrics (to Bad Guy at least) were more sexual than I would like. Musically not my cup of tea but I'd also rather not spend my time listening to a 16 or 17 year old alluding to sucking dicks and riding middle aged men. To make matters worse, they were seemingly written in part by her brother? Perhaps I've just gotten prudish in my old age.

Advertisement