Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Billie eilish - Major Grammy winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,780 ✭✭✭buried

nullzero wrote: »
    Music is subjective, each to their own but Van Halen are trash. Nice.

Genuine lol

lol

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 14,293 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

buried wrote: »
    Somebody said earlier here all the mainstream radio stations are pushing this work and telling everyone how great it is.

Do you know anyone under the age of 30 who listens to music on the radio? How about under 20? I doubt most 16-17 year olds could name 2 radio stations. The only people who listen to the radio still for music are the people who like Van Halen :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

I dunno man a few people seem very invested in explaining to people what poor form it is that she hasn't heard of people. Specifically Van Halen, personally I got more of an eyebrow raise from Run DMC. The fact that about 30% of the posts in the whole thread are about Van Halen kind of suggests to me people think it's important, to the point where there's a definite implication that it reflects badly on her.

She's been called demonic, talentless, a terrible influence, a fraud, her fans only like her because they're told to or they know nothing, etc etc. I know it's hard to judge tone over text but I'm not picturing many smiling faces in front of those particular monitors.

VH is just a placeholder for her lack of knowledge really I suppose. I agree (and think I said it before on this thread) that Run DMC is a bigger shock, given what type of music obviously influences her.

As for the smiley faces, well, like I said, I can't speak for everyone but that goes for both sides of this "argument"!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,950 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Cienciano wrote: »
    On Van Halen selling 50m albums

https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2017/10/17/riaa-best-selling-artists-of-all-time/

George Strait sold 70 million albums. Number 11 of top selling albums of all time. According to Wikipedia, George Strait is considered one of the most influential and popular recording artists of all time. I honestly never heard of him.

George Strait is a massive country star, not my particular cup of tea but that whole scene is quite insular to begin with. So many of the huge selling country artists of this world are barely known outside of their own particular sphere but still sell incredible amounts of records.

Glazers Out!

Long-lasting music artists will be knowledgable about music, various genres. Even if it is "before their time". Pop starlets that drop off the conveyor belt won't. She'll burn bright for a few years and then be forgotten about. The genius tag is incredibly premature.

Because an 18 year old, 18, hasn't heard of Van Halen or Run DMC she's going to burn bright for a few years and then puff into thin air?

How knowledgeable do you want her to be at 18?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,950 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Do you know anyone under the age of 30 who listens to music on the radio? How about under 20? I doubt most 16-17 year olds could name 2 radio stations. The only people who listen to the radio still for music are the people who like Van Halen :pac:

A strange statement given that most commercial radio stations play her music non stop.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,780 ✭✭✭buried

Yeah I know a good few actually, Today FM in the mornings and the afternoons seems to be their go to resource for listenings at work or in the car. The vast majority of people only listen to music from a few mainstream sources such as radio, online magazines and TV. All of these things are affiliated to the major record label companies. Including the likes of 'instagram' whose popular users would advertise their grannies corpse if they thought some corporation would give them some free swag. If your only resource for discovering new music is any of these things, make no mistake, you are being told by the record industry what to listen to. They've been at it nearly a century.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

Because an 18 year old, 18, hasn't heard of Van Halen or Run DMC she's going to burn bright for a few years and then puff into thin air?

How knowledgeable do you want her to be at 18?

No, not because of that at all. That will happen because it always does with this type of suddenly hugely popular artist.

I would expect her to be fairly knowledgable about music at 18, given she is a musician.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Im in knots of laughing here the slagging Van Halen are getting.

Shes 18 and Van Halen havent had a hit for a few years,same as Run DMC.

If she said she didnt know MJ,Madonna or Presley i would have to agree but them 2 are not really a good point of reference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭GhostofKNugget

I don't listen to the radio at all so my knowledge of what's in the charts is zilch. If mainstream radio is pushing her, it's not getting through to me. I dig her though, her music is great. I actually ended up picking up the album on vinyl.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

SnazzyPig wrote: »
    It's not the sales people object to, it's the awards.

According to Wikipedia on the Grammys-

'It is considered one of the four major annual American entertainment awards along with the Academy Awards (film), the Emmy Awards (television), and the Tony Awards (theater and Broadway)'.

Ah here, there's an episode of The Simpsons which aired before she was born where a bell hop gets an award statuette from Homer as a tip, is all excited, sees it's a Grammy, and tosses it away in disappointment.

They're a measure of popularity and sales, they go to the most obvious candidates.

What, she's cheapening Nelly Furtado's legacy? Come on now.

What, she's cheapening Nelly Furtado's legacy? Come on now.

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2017/10/17/riaa-best-selling-artists-of-all-time/

George Strait sold 70 million albums. Number 11 of top selling albums of all time. According to Wikipedia, George Strait is considered one of the most influential and popular recording artists of all time. I honestly never heard of him.

Like wise Ive never heard of George Strait either. Would imagine Steve Vai falls into the same category, a massively influential guitarist for other musicians but a lot of people wouldnt know who he is.

Same would go for Rory Gallagher who was named by Jimi Hendrix as the greatest guitarist ever but outside of Ireland a lot of people wouldnt know him. Gallagher sold 30m albums but never really became a part of the mainstream, hes more so a cult hero amongst musicians themselves rather than widely known globally.

Seeing mention of Nellly Furtado, Grammys and Steve Vai brought this to mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭GhostofKNugget

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Like wise Ive never heard of George Strait either. Would imagine Steve Vai falls into the same category, a massively influential guitarist for other musicians but a lot of people wouldnt know who he is.

Same would go for Rory Gallagher who was named by Jimi Hendrix as the greatest guitarist ever but outside of Ireland a lot of people wouldnt know him. Gallagher sold 30m albums but never really became a part of the mainstream, hes more so a cult hero amongst musicians themselves rather than widely known globally.

I'd wager Rory Gallagher is probably better known and better respected outside of Ireland. He doesn't get much in the way of acknowledgement on this isle.

I'd wager Rory Gallagher is probably better known and better respected outside of Ireland. He doesn't get much in the way of acknowledgement on this isle.

Huge in Germany and surrounding areas apparently. You only hear the name in Ireland when the festival in Ballyshannon is coming up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Huge in Germany and surrounding areas apparently. You only hear the name in Ireland when the festival in Ballyshannon is coming up.

Try telling a Cork person he's not from Cork you'll hear about him for hours :D

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭The Phantom Jipper

Funny you say that...

Not twisting anything??? :rolleyes:

Her broad range does not match your broad range ergo she has not got a broad range... She doesn't have to know every single act you deem acceptable for her to know. Why is it soooo important for her to know Van Halen? Why are so many people fixated on that one point?

I haven't given my opinion on her music, on her or her brother, her clothes or looks or style of singing or anything else for that matter. My main gripe with this topic is people giving other people (absolute strangers) crap about what they do and do not know. As if they are some sort of authority on the subject? Is it spite? Envy?

The following doesn't make an ounce of sense, what are you trying to say?

stop appropriating every opinion contrary to yours

Is there a list of artists one should know before getting into the music industry? Regardless of genre of course. She hasn't heard of one band/act and somehow that means she doesn't have intellectual curiosity? How dare she not know of a band which I know of... :rolleyes:

No, no it's not. People are simply saying that it's ok to not know a band or act or somebody famous...

How dare she? That's a somewhat hysterical reading of what I said.

It's ok for her not to have heard of these acts and to have a limited knowledge of other successful musicians. My point is that I find it a bit odd given that these are widely known, to the average punter with a passing interest in music let alone a fellow musician. I would have the same opinion if a young actor was oblivious to the existence of famous actors of yesteryear too. Hopefully it's ok with you that I find it odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭chrissb8

Awarding Art is a joke in my mind. If you have millions of people who like what you're making and relate to it than that's the reward within itself.

Not some industry "expert" or "critic". Why would I care what any of these people think if I wrote music I relate to for other people to relate to.

But I suppose it's down to success within the mainstream industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

People like her music, shock horror. Does there have to be some hidden message or the likes. It's catchy to some, the reasoning behind that doesn't need to be justified at any level. It's music.

I'm sorry I can't accept your invite to abandon reason for Billie's sake. :D I must justify absolutely everything I like.

If you find yourself incapable of explaining to others what is good about something, don't be surprised if they fail to like it. Other than that - we are merely talking hype.

My dismissal of her stuff isn't rooted in negativity. I WANT something new and good. I WANT that groundbreaking artist to shake up the staleness. Been hanging for it for years now.

This isn't it. It's just tooth-whitened funky hairdye pushed fluff that nobody will listen to in 12 months.

• Advertisement

Id say its kind of a mix of both. Its not that he is unknown abroad or anything but Id say you could ask 100 music fans who he is and the majority wouldnt know who he is and his place in rock history. Gallagher was before my time but any docs Ive seen on him he doesnt seem to like the attention, I get the feeling that fame wasnt really for him. Bloody incredible guitarist though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Rock, metal, rap, dance.... Thats usually where I'd be stuck but her stuff is excellent I have to say. I'm a big fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

evad_lhorg wrote: »
    her stuff is excellent I have to say.

Excellent, to the point where it is impossible to say how or why it seems on this thread. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Never heard of him either, there's actually a few people in that list i've never heard of. Who the hell are Alabama? Alan Jackson? Reba McEntire?

And Barbara Streisand has sold considerably more than U2? Wtf!!

And finally, Kenny G - 48 million?? has the world lost it's fúcking mind??:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

And finally, Kenny G - 48 million?? has the world lost it's fúcking mind??:D

kenny-g-game.jpg

Lol Kenny G, not a fan but he is literally Mr.Saxophone, at least in the US anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

nullzero wrote: »
    I'm hardly obsessed, I was a kid in the 80's and I had at least heard of most musical acts from the previous three decades by the time I was her age.

I doubt that. There would be far too many to have heard most of them.
    Maybe mainstream acts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Lol Kenny G, not a fan but he is literally Mr.Saxophone, at least in the US anyway

Like a strange hybrid of weird al yankovich and epic sax guy.

That’s got to be a winner and look at him I come on; he’s Jewish. He knows where the smart money is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

Bobblehats wrote: »

That’s got to be a winner and look at him I come on; he’s Jewish. He knows where the smart money is
    This has taken a turn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Bobblehats wrote: »

Im surprised Weird Al hasnt dione a parody of Billie

Advertisement