Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trump: Middle East peace plan announced

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

biko wrote: »
    A big problem seems to be Jerusalem, a holy Jewish and Christian city mentioned many times in their holy texts, but isn't even mentioned once in the Quran.

Even cursory research shows your claim to be untrue.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Even cursory research shows your claim to be untrue.
    You forgot your link/source.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rapul

Where's yours

I don't need one, it's common knowledge

However, since you asked
    Go to google.com
    Type in "is jerusalem mentioned in the quran"
    See answers

There is a feeble attempt by some to mean that when Mohammed dreamt of Al-Aqsa Mosque, then he dreamt of Jerusalem.
    This is just a hypothesis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭SaintLeibowitz

I don't need one, it's common knowledge

However, since you asked
    Go to google.com
    Type in "is jerusalem mentioned in the quran"
    See answers

There is a feeble attempt by some to mean that when Mohammed dreamt of Al-Aqsa Mosque, then he dreamt of Jerusalem.
    This is just a hypothesis.

If it was common knowledge that Jerusalem is not mentioned in the Koran. Why did you have to Google it yourself. Why couldn't you expand on your incorrect email statement yourself?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭Varik

If it was common knowledge that Jerusalem is not mentioned in the Koran. Why did you have to Google it yourself. Why couldn't you expand on your incorrect email statement yourself?

Would say it's pretty common.

Jerusalem isn't mentioned in it and Jesus is mentioned more than muhammad.

I already knew but "googled it" for you guys.
    "email statement"? Whut?

Is anyone going to contradict me on this?
    I hope Skylinehead has something as he seems to have researched it.

Varik wrote: »
    Would say it's pretty common.

Jerusalem isn't mentioned in it and Jesus is mentioned more than muhammad.

Biko said it was common knowledge. Of course bikos statement that Jerusalem isn't mentioned in the Koran doesn't hold up to scrutiny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

So is it mentioned or isn't it?
    As someone with no dog in the fight it would be nice to learn more from a page of back and forths than "google it".

I already knew but "googled it" for you guys.
    "email statement"? Whut?

Is anyone going to contradict me on this?
    I hope Skylinehead has something as he seems to have researched it.

You googled it yourself for yourself. Your attempt at humour failed.

Why did you say it was common knowledge? If you had to Google the information for yourself?

It was supposed to say 'incorrect statement'

• Advertisement

So, no real answers yet?

Anyway, why would I google something like "is Jerusalem mention in the quran"? It doesn't make sense unless I already knew it.
    This discussion is turning kinda bizarre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Lads going back to the crusades the Christians and Muslims fought over Jerusalem. The Israeli state was created on Palestinian lands and continues to expand annexing that land and treating the Palestinians like a scourge to be removed. That's the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Biko said it was common knowledge. Of course bikos statement that Jerusalem isn't mentioned in the Koran doesn't hold up to scrutiny.

What scrutiny exactly, should be the easiest thing to prove if it is metioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

So, no real answers yet?

Anyway, why would I google something like "is Jerusalem mention in the quran"? It doesn't make sense unless I already knew it.
    This discussion is turning kinda bizarre.

Hold up a moment. Are you really saying that Israel has the right to claim the lands because they're Holy book mentions Jerusalem?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭victor8600

...The Israeli state was created on Palestinian lands....

Erm, who are these Palestinians on whose lands the Israeli state was created? Do you mean Ottomans, who owned the land before 1917? Or Britain who owned the lands after that?

victor8600 wrote: »
    Erm, who are these Palestinians on whose lands the Israeli state was created? Do you mean Ottomans, who owned the land before 1917? Or Britain who owned the lands after that?

No the Palestinians. You've never heard of them? The British 'own' northern Ireland, but would you claim to have no knowledge of the Irish being there and having a claim?

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Hold up a moment. Are you really saying that Israel has the right to claim the lands because they're Holy book mentions Jerusalem?
    The Quran is saying it.
    http://corpus.quran.com/translation.jsp?chapter=5&verse=20
    http://corpus.quran.com/wordmorphology.jsp?location=(5:21:6)
    The Quran states: “Moses said to his people: O my people! Remember the bounty of God upon you when He bestowed prophets upon you, and made you kings and gave you that which had not been given to anyone before you amongst the nations. O my people! Enter the Holy Land which God has written for you, and do not turn tail, otherwise you will be losers.”

Nowhere does the Quran make mention of the Muslims’ claim to the Holy Land.
    Instead, God reveals in the Quran that The Holy Land is designated for the followers of Moses.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 ERLUAD

Just google " is Jerusalem mentioned in the Torah" and it isnt, not one word

The Quran is saying it.
    http://corpus.quran.com/translation.jsp?chapter=5&verse=20
    http://corpus.quran.com/wordmorphology.jsp?location=(5:21:6)
    The Quran states: “Moses said to his people: O my people! Remember the bounty of God upon you when He bestowed prophets upon you, and made you kings and gave you that which had not been given to anyone before you amongst the nations. O my people! Enter the Holy Land which God has written for you, and do not turn tail, otherwise you will be losers.”

Nowhere does the Quran make mention of the Muslims’ claim to the Holy Land.
    Instead, God reveals in the Quran that The Holy Land is designated for the followers of Moses.
    Moses is revered as a prominent prophet and messenger in Islam, his narrative is recounted the most among the prophets in the Qur'an. He is regarded by Muslims of as one of the six most prominent prophets in Islam along with Jesus (Isa), Abraham (Ibrahim), Noah (Nuh), Adam (Adam) and Muhammad.

Sorted so. They also view King David as a prophet. Not really a certified land document these religious texts.
    'Muslims' means (Submitters to God), King David was as much a Muslim as Mohammed.

I've a suspicion that even if the Palestinians were Jewish they'd have been treated the same.

The holy book for jews are the Tanakh, where it's mentioned hundreds of times.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judaism#Jewish_religious_texts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,642 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I don't really see the relevance of that whole line of argument tbh.

Regardless of what the different holy books say, different groups have been living there, fighting and dying there, and claiming it as their own, for many many centuries.

King David was as much a Muslim as Mohammed.
    Muslims and Islam would not exist for over a thousand years when King David lived.

osarusan wrote: »

Regardless of what the different holy books say, different groups have been living there, fighting and dying there, and claiming it as their own, for many many centuries.

Except the Israelis.

Muslims and Islam would not exist for over a thousand years when King David lived.

Muslim means submitter to God, hence King David was as Muslim as Mohammed. It was the term used. It's in my comment.

Muslim means submitter to God, hence King David was as Muslim as Mohammed. It was the term used. It's in my comment.
    I don't know, now you're just claiming Jews/Christians/Hindus are somehow Muslims if they "submit" to any god.

If I submit to Vishnu, am I then Muslim according to you?

osarusan wrote: »

Exactly. There is a point of claiming historical rights but as I have shown using holy texts won't do it.

Other civilisations have claimed/occupied the land. Most notably the Romans.
    You don't see the Italians getting mixed in :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭victor8600

No the Palestinians. You've never heard of them? The British 'own' northern Ireland, but would you claim to have no knowledge of the Irish being there and having a claim?

Not the same, and you would know it if you knew Irish history.

Palestinians have the misfortune to be people nobody wants. They are homeless Arabs, victims of the Arab-Israeli conflict.

Calling them "Palestinians" is like calling Navajo people "Arizonians" because their reservations are mostly in Arizona.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Oh lord the hypocrisy. "Common knowledge" is not an out.

Anyway, here's a well sourced answer.

https://islam.stackexchange.com/questions/39207/jerusalem-in-the-quran

Obviously Jerusalem is not mentioned by that name, as it wouldn't be. However, it's clearly referenced, and in any case is the third most important holy city in Islam.

All of this is irrelevant of course. It's a hugely important religious site for all three Abrahamic religions, so access should be maintained for all.

I don't know, now you're just claiming Jews/Christians/Hindus are somehow Muslims if they "submit" to any god.

If I submit to Vishnu, am I then Muslim according to you?

Muslim was the term for anyone religious. King David, Mohammed, Moses were one in the same in the eyes of the religious. You cited the Koran as saying the holy land belongs to Moses' people/followers. What we know today as Muslim/Jewish, would consider themselves Moses' people.
    I'm pointing that out. Not that it matter IMO.

• Advertisement

victor8600 wrote: »
    Not the same, and you would know it if you knew Irish history.

Palestinians have the misfortune to be people nobody wants. They are homeless Arabs, victims of the Arab-Israeli conflict.

Calling them "Palestinians" is like calling Navajo people "Arizonians" because their reservations are mostly in Arizona.

They are home in Palestine. No amount of western view in favour of the manufactured Israeli state can change that. Nor does it excuse the criminal inhumane behaviour of the Israeli rogue state upon the Palestinian people.
    I'm always amused that the pro Israeli lobby claim Palestine and Palestinians are a fiction, considering Israel and it's claims.

Advertisement