Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Least favourite pro golfer

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭S.G.M.

The fact that golfers talking about their faith annoys people so much is baffling.
    If you don't agree, fair enough but to say it's a reason why you dislike someone. Woah.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

S.G.M. wrote:
    The fact that golfers talking about their faith annoys people so much is baffling. If you don't agree, fair enough but to say it's a reason why you dislike someone. Woah.

I hear what you're saying but if one of your friends put all the good things that happened in their professional career down to the "big guy in the sky", would you not in the long term be tempted to tell them to shut the f**k up.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Turfcutter

Rippeditup wrote: »
    Faldo gets an awful bad rap here... Back in the old Faldo series I got to meet him and play a few holes with him and he was a gent to all the juniors involved.. Still have an old Rextar ball he gave us.
    Also he was very generous to a friend of mine who lost his brother when young and Faldo flew in to meet him in the hospital and sent over some merchandise from winning the Open one year to raffle off for a charity night for him.

I have to say Jordan Speith always annoys me, not sure what it is but do like to see him throw it away from time to time

I can understand why people don't take to Faldo. He's extremely competitive and when he's in the zone, he's not the easiest person you'll encounter. Outside of that he's not a bad guy, but he is quite socially awkward.

On the other hand Clarke is just an absolute bear. The gregarious, Guinness drinker public persona is the complete opposite to the reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,742 ✭✭✭abff

Inclined to agree. Inherent in the pronouncement that the man upstairs helped you win is the inference that He worked against everybody else by default. Im not sure if it's intended (in fact, Id wager it isnt), but it does show a sort of unusual arrogance and is certainly disrespectful to the other competitors, particularly those who themselves are devout believers.

That sums up perfectly the problem that I have with those who give thanks for divine intervention when they win a tournament. What makes you so special that the man above chose you over everyone else in the field as the anointed one who should win this particular tournament?

Whether you believe in God or not, that is the absolute height of arrogance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

abff wrote:
    That sums up perfectly the problem that I have with those who give thanks for divine intervention when they win a tournament. What makes you so special that the man above chose you over everyone else in the field as the anointed one who should win this particular tournament?

And what about the tournaments you didn't win. Did you upset God on that particular week?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,488 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

And what about the tournaments you didn't win. Did you upset God on that particular week?

God rests on a Sunday, players are on their own for the final round.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

Spieth for me. He's really slow and keeps talking to his ball which is really annoying. His putting was his whole game which was so good but the rest was average and that annoyed me too. A one trick pony but made the most of it.

Kevin Na too. Mainly because i think he looks like my old boss who i didn't like. It's unreasonable but there you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

neddynasty wrote: »
    Spieth for me. He's really slow and keeps talking to his ball which is really annoying. His putting was his whole game which was so good but the rest was average and that annoyed me too. A one trick pony but made the most of it.

Kevin Na too. Mainly because i think he looks like my old boss who i didn't like. It's unreasonable but there you go.

And Na slow play ! He was notorious for this. Not sure if he’s any faster now

• Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Think Na has improved over the years. Didn't he go around in 1 hour 59 a few years ago!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Pretty sure that Na's slow play was heavily driven by the yips. Remember watching footage of him over drives, not being able to pull the trigger. So pretty sure it was more of a psychological issue rather than a deliberate slowness

• Advertisement

Pretty sure that Na's slow play was heavily driven by the yips. Remember watching footage of him over drives, not being able to pull the trigger. So pretty sure it was more of a psychological issue rather than a deliberate slowness

I think you are right, wasn’t there some strange situation where he had to get a round finished before dark, played the last couple of holes almost running, and birdied everyone of them?

Golf9876 wrote: »
    Don’t get why Na and Bryson get such a hard time for slow play, I find overly quick players just as irritating to play with. Running around in a state of panic on there day off, thinks everybody should keep up with them. Couldn’t cope nd changed playing with my regular group recently cause one of the lads finds making good time more important than his score hassling groups ahead of us literally every time we go out.

Quick good / slow bad is nonsense. Both types are equally rude you should be in your lane pace wise while playing a round and keep with the pace of play weather your naturally slow or fast.

On both counts, Na/Bryson, and your own club 4ball, slow play is obvious when the group in front go off out of sight. If you are up their arses and they are keeping with the group in front of them, then sure, tell whoever is the culprit to chill out.

But regarding the pros, when other pros get irritated, I think it’s fair that the viewer feels the same irritation. Don’t tell me you enjoyed watching JB Holmes last year at the Open.

It was all psychological with Na. Heard an interview with him a year or so ago. He said every time he was standing over the ball it was running through his head what each shot meant. He'd have to back off and try to reset his head again to concentrate on hitting the ball. Then he was taking so long he was thinking about how long he was taking. It was a vicious circle for every shot. He has improved though.

Golf9876 wrote: »
    Don’t get why Na and Bryson get such a hard time for slow play, I find overly quick players just as irritating to play with. Running around in a state of panic on there day off, thinks everybody should keep up with them. Couldn’t cope nd changed playing with my regular group recently cause one of the lads finds making good time more important than his score hassling groups ahead of us literally every time we go out.

Quick good / slow bad is nonsense. Both types are equally rude you should be in your lane pace wise while playing a round and keep with the pace of play weather your naturally slow or fast.

Watching the pros take 5.5hrs to get around is irritating when there's really no excuse for it. It's not like they're spending 5 mins per hole looking for lost balls or having to rake bunkers etc. They have people doing all those things for them.

I'd prefer to play with an overly quick player than an overly slow player though. Slow lads who have long pre-shot routines, who try to visualize each shot and don't start preparing until it's their turn to hit and still shoot well into the 90s every round! :mad:

neddynasty wrote: »
    Watching the pros take 5.5hrs to get around is irritating when there's really no excuse for it. It's not like they're spending 5 mins per hole looking for lost balls or having to rake bunkers etc. They have people doing all those things for them.

I'd prefer to play with an overly quick player than an overly slow player though. Slow lads who have long pre-shot routines, who try to visualize each shot and don't start preparing until it's their turn to hit and still shoot well into the 90s every round! :mad:

And don’t forget, they are 2 balls, occasionally 3. If I was on course for 5.5hrs on a Sunday morning 4 ball, I’d be pulling my hair out. Slow play, both on the box and on the course is a blight on the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

Matsuyama because he's let my bets down too many times!

Advertisement