Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tonights. Sky

Options
  • 28-01-2020 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me what is the star/planet beside the moon?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

Venus, at its brighest.

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Get google sky map or similar ap for your phone :)

Neptune isn't a naked eye object.

It wasn't confirmed until 1847 using large telescopes. And they knew where to look based on maths

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭ps200306

Neptune isn't a naked eye object.

It wasn't confirmed until 1847 using large telescopes. And they knew where to look based on maths
    Not that large ... less than 10 inches. Galileo saw it more than 200 years before Le Verrier but didn't realise it was a planet, possibly because it had just started a retrograde (not that one wants to derail another thread with retrogrades :pac: ). I've never tried but apparently it's visible in binoculars.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

ps200306 wrote: »
    (Neptune) I've never tried but apparently it's visible in binoculars.

Yes, I have seen Neptune and Uranus with 10x50 binoculars.

Also Ceres and Vesta.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Roycropper63

Many thanks for the info

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭frosty123

Get google sky map or similar ap for your phone :)

s

My smartphone has no built in gyroscope
    ..is there anyway of bypassing this??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭ps200306

I reckon he's discovered Sirius.

Not nearly as impressive as his discovery of the moons of Venus. :pac:

Advertisement