Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saoirse McHugh Confused?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

is_that_so wrote: »
    McHugh is young and thinks speaking her mind is the way to go. She was no different in the Euros, producing lots of bitesized quotes for the media to lap up, many of which were hard-core environmental militancy. They might be the kind of things wiser Green heads would think but would not say.

But if she was a 'fundie' Green in a consistent way at least she would at least be pitching to a definite (albeit small in Mayo) section of the electorate. With her apparently rejecting a carbon tax, she is coming across as confused and all over the shop and will likely end up appealing to (next to) nobody...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

But if she was a 'fundie' Green in a consistent way at least she would at least be pitching to a definite (albeit small in Mayo) section of the electorate. With her apparently rejecting a carbon tax, she is coming across as confused and all over the shop and will likely end up appealing to (next to) nobody...
    I agree but I think she will get votes. I am not sure how she'd fare if she has to face serious media questions about her views.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Mc Hugh is right when recognising the risk of the Greens attracting urban voters and alienating rural voters. Eamonn Ryan is in favour of scrapping the Cork Limerick motorway.
    That would turn off a lot of voters in Munster and just confirms the Greens to be out of touch with voters outside Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Clarence Boddiker

She seems genuine in her environmentalism and somewhat realistic regarding carbon tax and the national herd.
    Maybe she should start a real environmentalist party to compete with the corporate whores that call themselves the Green Party.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Edgware wrote: »
    Mc Hugh is right when recognising the risk of the Greens attracting urban voters and alienating rural voters. Eamonn Ryan is in favour of scrapping the Cork Limerick motorway.
    That would turn off a lot of voters in Munster and just confirms the Greens to be out of touch with voters outside Dublin

She favours scrapping the proposed Castlebar-Westport motorway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,416 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

what she said about the carbon tax is true without real affordable alternatives all you might do is turn the heating down a bit. maybe. basically the carbon tax Is just a cash grab.
    after saying that I could vote for her

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Uriel. wrote: »
    That was a bit of a car crash performance. She's either in the green party or she's not. Whether anyone thinks the positions are right or wrong, the Greens have set out a number of key policy positions and she doesn't seem to agree with a chunk of them. It was an amateur hour performance and its amateur hour from Eamon Ryan to have her on the ticket.

Yeah it was real amateur hour last night by her, it was like someone had dropped a transition year media student onto the panel for a bit of work experience, I was surprised how badly prepared and versed she was.

Anyway didnt she say before that she wouldnt go into power with either FF or FG? Eamon Ryan has got a problem on his hands there because he's already half way into the bed with them. If she does get elected she could be resigning from the Green Party pretty quick. Its real shoddy leadership from Ryan to be putting party resources into a candidate who is completely at odds with party policy and has already nailed her colours to the mast on not going into coalition with FF/FG. And then to let her go on national tv and to go publically against party policy. It wasnt just herself she was representing last night, it was the Green Party too and potential voters watching that car crash could only come away thinking that they havent got their house in order and are not worth a vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,129 ✭✭✭✭elperello

She favours scrapping the proposed Castlebar-Westport motorway

Just for clarity it's a dual carriageway not a motorway.

http://www.mayonews.ie/news/32119-n5-westport-to-turlough-road-to-go-to-tender

what she said about the carbon tax is true without real affordable alternatives all you might do is turn the heating down a bit. maybe. basically the carbon tax Is just a cash grab.
    The trouble is if someone's comments are coming under media scrutiny they are likely to poke at them a bit more. So her most recent performance could be repeated and that can leave a candidate explaining rather than campaigning.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,129 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Speaking to people in rural areas I find that it's not that they think the Greens are nutters.

The problem is that they have few transport alternatives and depend on a car to live any sort of life.

Workwise they either drive or sit at home. Same for shopping or any sort of social inclusion.

She recognises this and is being honest at the cost of a career in national politics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭NuttyMcNutty

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    She will be 'that one green that isn't as bad as the rest' which is really as good a position you can hope for as a green candidate in a rural constituteucy.

She is right though about applying a carbon tax, the same happened the last time they did it we all stopped driving our cars/tractors and got the bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Whestsidestory

As someone who is voting in her constituency I thought her performance last night was terrible.It appeared she was changing tack to suit farmers etc. I think she would be more credible to stick to the Green policies even if it might mean not getting enough votes to be elected. Her demeanour last night was very strange like as if she had zero interest

As someone who is voting in her constituency I thought her performance last night was terrible.It appeared she was changing tack to suit farmers etc. I think she would be more credible to stick to the Green policies even if it might mean not getting enough votes to be elected. Her demeanour last night was very strange like as if she had zero interest
    Had she been coached maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭whitey1

At the end of the day, Saoirse’s National profile was artificially raised many notches above where it should be by a couple of well rehearsed one liners she deployed against Casey during the European debate. She’s never faced any serious scrutiny or questioning and had the local media fawning all over her

• Registered Users Posts: 33,105 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

People call Boris an airhead, how is it sexist. The film "AIRHEADS" fron the early 90's the dim characters were all male, Do Green party activists do any research ?
    People call Boris Johnson an airhead? Where? I can't see an article calling him that.
    So are you saying I am a green party activist?!? Jesus that is a reach! I have never even voted green in my life.
    I have also been extremely critical of her! She is useless!

Abel Ruiz wrote: »
    You're wrong, just admit it. And we can move on.

Like Peter Casey?
    I am not wrong, it's up to you whether you move on or not.

It shows you that if you were to typically assign a gender to the phrase, it's historically associated with a men!
    No it doesn't, it shows you a film was made 26 years ago called airheads...that's all.

Your honestly saying most people would associate the phrase airhead with men rather than women? I don't even think you could believe that.

gmisk wrote: »
    No it doesn't it shows you a film was made 26 years ago called airheads...that's all.

Your honestly saying most people would associate the phrase airhead with men rather than women? I don't even think you can believe that.
    Actually dictionaries these days now just list it as a word to describe a foolish or stupid person, wherever it may have come from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

No it doesn't it shows you a film was made 26 years ago called airheads...that's all.

Your honestly saying most people would associate the phrase airhead with men rather than women? I don't even think you can believe that.

No. We are all saying that airhead is not gender specific. You are the only person trying to say it applies to one gender only. You have a film called airheads about males but still you persist.

An airhead can be male or female and therefore is in no way sexist.

Actually dictionaries these days now just describe it as a word to describe a foolish or stupid person, wherever it may have come from.
    That might be the dictionary definition. But be honest, when you hear the word "airhead" directed at someone would you say it is more likely to be to a man or a woman?

• Advertisement

That might be the dictionary definition. But be honest, when you hear the word "airhead" directed at someone would you say it is more likely to be to a man or a woman?
    I'd just think stupid person but each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Farmer_3650

Cull her with the sucklers Eamonn

Anyone who thinks sucklers should be culled is very uneducated on the matter

elperello wrote: »
    Just for clarity it's a dual carriageway not a motorway.

http://www.mayonews.ie/news/32119-n5-westport-to-turlough-road-to-go-to-tender

Absolute madness building that road

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Absolute madness building that road

It sounds crazy, I've driven Castlebar to Westport a few times before and while its not the worlds greatest road there is nothing major wrong with it otherwise, or at least nothing that a few junction upgrades along the route wouldnt solve. They're spending 240 million for a time saving of between 5 and 10 minutes. 240 million for a 23km road is huge money. McHugh has a point that the money could be much better spent in Mayp
    WE all use roads and we all love shorter and safer journeys, so there’s no doubt that the transport budget should reflect this. In Mayo a new four-lane road from Turlough to Westport is to begin work this year at a cost to the taxpayer of a quarter of a billion euro, shortening the journey time to Westport by five to ten minutes.

Many welcome the project but I believe the investment not only neglects the other roads around Mayo, many of which are in dire need of repair, but crucially neglects all the people who, for one reason or another, don’t drive. A Fine Gael-led carbon tax means fuel costs look set to rise. Ireland will begin to face huge EU fines this year for failing to meet climate targets.

With this in mind surely our transport budget should create better options for public transport and cycling infrastructure. In rural Ireland bus routes have been cut, roads are unsafe to cycle and its difficult to live without a car.

Upgrading the existing Westport road could shorten journey times and increase safety at a fraction of the cost instead of ploughing through unspoilt countryside and native woodland. This would free up millions to invest in regional roads, safe cycle routes and, crucially, public transport which helps to strengthen communities and make life in rural areas possible for the Irish people who don’t drive.

Faster roads between large urban centres are not much use if our villages are empty anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

She is not an airhead she is a genetic scientist with a masters.

I am not saying she is any good when it comes to being a politician, she isn't, but there is no need for the demeaning and sexist BS.

Where's the sexism? It seem to me that the comments had nothing do to with her gender rather her politics. (up to that point, I stop reading after this post!)

Airhead can be used for "all" genders and none*

*none right? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,606 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Had she been coached maybe?

She's had Ming Flanagan out canvassing with her the past couple of weeks, maybe that's where the change of tack has come from. Can't see it gaining her too many votes.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,152 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

She's had Ming Flanagan out canvassing with her the past couple of weeks, maybe that's where the change of tack has come from. Can't see it gaining her too many votes.

Somebody should have advised her to stay up-wind of whatever Ming was smoking.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Muahahaha wrote: »
    It sounds crazy, I've driven Castlebar to Westport a few times before and while its not the worlds greatest road there is nothing major wrong with it otherwise, or at least nothing that a few junction upgrades along the route wouldnt solve. They're spending 240 million for a time saving of between 5 and 10 minutes. 240 million for a 23km road is huge money. McHugh has a point that the money could be much better spent in Mayp

But if they scrap it what will the master bluffer Michael Ring have to bull **** about

Muahahaha wrote: »

I agree 100%. I would be on that road all summer driving tractors. The big problem I found was no where right to pull in with a tractor and trailer. Very busy road and cars would build up behind me very fast. Then if I did pull in, I could be waiting a minute or 2 to get a chance to get back onto the road again. If they had overtaking lanes every few km or at least a hard shoulder, it would be sufficient.

• Advertisement

Edgware wrote: »
    But if they scrap it what will the master bluffer Michael Ring have to bull **** about

He’ll get in anyways, He’s done enough for westport, don’t think he’s gaining much popularity from this road.

Advertisement