Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charged €2 for 9 messages each in one minute every week

Options
  • 29-01-2020 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hi, I was charged for a number of texts from 57710.
    I am allegedly agreed to a some sort of chance to win a gift card online about a year ago.

Now I purchased new phone on a bill and first two bills came with extra €60 charge for "other messages" received from 57710.

Went to eir shop and eir rep explained the situation and sent sms "STOP" to the company and advised me to contact comReg, who in turn suggested to contact the company that charged me directly and request a refund. So I did. Got offered 50% not what I've expected but something.

Nevertheless, after a small investigation I realised that I've been receiving up to 9 sms in one minute every week for the past two months without even knowing I receive them.

Question: How is this possible that I never noticed those sms?
    The Answer: Because they came silent and without any form of notification, while all other genuine sms notifies with the sound on arrival and is visible on home screen even when phone is locked.

Can anyone answer how can this possibly happen? Thank you in advance.

P.S- I have a theory but more proof needed as I am only at the start of investigation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,461 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I'm sorry but out of all the forums you could have posted that in you chose here...

**** sake

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

I'm sorry but out of all the forums you could have posted that in you chose here...

**** sake

Do you not think it might have been a mistake?

I have reported the thread to get it moved.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

I received some messages recently, at €2.50 each. I didn't sign up to anything so I contacted the company with the threat of comreg. They refunded me. I actually got more back than they had taken. It's because I ran out of credit before receiving all their messages and they had blocked me from receiving more before I topped up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,580 ✭✭✭dubrov

Just insist on full refund and if they refuse go back to ComReg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Keep after them, they will insist that you subscribed to them so request proof and then mention GDPR which seems to have accelerated a refund for another poster recently.

If they still don't issue a refund then submit a data request to their data protection officer which will then allow referral to the DPC. Do not accept their 50% offer, they know they're on shaky ground regarding the subscription process.

Comreg may help but they are licencing these so-and-so's and allowing reverse charge SMS so they are enabling this "business".

IMO, data protection will yield faster response than Comreg.

There is a requirement in Comreg rules that you send an AGREE SMS before any charges can be applied so you may need to get data from Eir to prove that this didn't happen.

Also, get a premium SMS bar applied to your eir account.

Some info in this thread might help...
    https://m.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=112305411

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭b.e.s.s.

Thank you all for your help. Got it all back in the end. Had to threaten them with GDPr and stuff.

Advertisement