Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paternity Leave/Benefit

Options
  • 29-01-2020 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭

Work in a small enough company (40 aprox) but it doesn't have a dedicated HR dept.

Have given notice on plan to take Paternity leave for birth of child in approx 2 months. Asked whats the company policy with such leave but haven't heard anything back yet (3 weeks ago with weekly follow ups)

Company are fairly decent so guess I'd get full pay.

Should I still apply for benefit in case they offer me full pay less Benefit or no pay?

What happens if you apply for Benefit and still get full pay? do you get the benifet on top of your pay (less tax)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭crisco10

Usually, you will claim benefit from Social Welfare regardless.

And if your company want to top up that amount to your total salary, that is at their discretion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

My firm don’t pay paternity. We get unpaid and apply to Social for the 2 weeks benefit payment. The social don’t pay the full wages —— thinks it’s €288 a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭Ronney

Thanks for the replays,

So let me get this right, its ok to claim Benefit and receive full pay?

Seams a bit like claiming the dole while working

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭purpleisafruit

Ronney wrote: »
    Thanks for the replays,

So let me get this right, its ok to claim Benefit and receive full pay?

Seams a bit like claiming the dole while working
    Usually, the employer deducts the benefit amount from your full pay

• Administrators Posts: 53,836 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

You need to apply for the benefit, your employer is more than likely going to deduct that from your salary at minimum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I get full pay while on mat leave. Social welfare pays me €245 each week, and my employer pays me my salary minus €490 each fortnight. That would be fairly standard, and I’d imagine it’s the same for paternity leave so you should absolutely apply for paternity benefit.

Advertisement