Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Odd MCB issue

Options
  • 29-01-2020 11:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭

Morning,

Noticed an odd issue with my MCBs last night - two of them which are beside each other on the board look to be linked somehow: upstairs sockets & downstairs sockets. If both or either one is up, then both circuits are live and the only way to kill them is to switch down both MCBs. Any ideas what could be the issue?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭kramer1

Sounds like it might be a ring main split across 2 mcb s by mistake, what is the rating of the mcb s?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Agreed.
    One way or another the MCBs are connected in parallel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

kramer1 wrote: »
    Sounds like it might be a ring main split across 2 mcb s by mistake, what is the rating of the mcb s?

MCBs are 10A. Is this a safety issue? If they’re in parallel is the circuit now a 20A one or somewhere in between?

MCBs are 10A. Is this a safety issue? If they’re in parallel is the circuit now a 20A one or somewhere in between?

This all sounds really wrong, I'd get a sparks out to find out what's going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Maewyn Succat

No it'll still be a 10 amp circuit. As said your best bet is to get an electrician to have a look at it because something is not right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 BigVanVador

Morning,

Noticed an odd issue with my MCBs last night - two of them which are beside each other on the board look to be linked somehow: upstairs sockets & downstairs sockets. If both or either one is up, then both circuits are live and the only way to kill them is to switch down both MCBs. Any ideas what could be the issue?

Yeah I agree with Kramer. Its a ring circuit that was split probably by accident when the board was replaced more than likely just needs a 20a mcb to be whacked in and the two circuits joined.

How many sockets on the affected circuit?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

The OP has highlighted more than one wiring issue. I would expect that a half descent electrician will uncover quite a few more. I would get this looked at sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Sockets should be on a 20amp and lights on a 10amp.

Sorry, my bad. They’re light circuits not sockets... 22 bulbs on downstairs circuit and 15 or so upstairs.

The board wasn’t replaced, it was wired this way day one. The house is pretty new so only discovered this issue this week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Are they tripping out?

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭I Am The Law

It's what is known as an Erroneous Connection, current rules (ET101) require a test to be done on new installations and give detail on how to carry it out.

Get your SafeElectric spark to sort it for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

This is way beyond DIY issue legally. You need to call in a professional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

No it'll still be a 10 amp circuit. As said your best bet is to get an electrician to have a look at it because something is not right.

Its likely it would require well over 20 amps to trip one 10a mcb if 2 in parallel. Then the second one would quickly follow.

Xertz wrote: »
    This is way beyond DIY issue legally. You need to call in a professional.

I've no intention of trying to fix it myself, there's a sparks coming tomorrow to sort it out. I just wanted to know how dangerous this was and how much of an arse kicking I should be giving the original electrician.

I've no intention of trying to fix it myself, there's a sparks coming tomorrow to sort it out.

That’s good news. It would be prudent to get him to check the entire installation.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭adrian92

To answer the OP

As others have said the load side of the MCBs have been looped.

Remove both MCBs
    Replace with one with,I think, 20 amp rating

adrian92 wrote: »
    To answer the OP

Remove both MCBs
    Replace with one with,I think, 20 amp rating

Attached

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Sorry, my bad. They’re light circuits not sockets... 22 bulbs on downstairs circuit and 15 or so upstairs.

adrian92 wrote:
    To answer the OP

adrian92 wrote:

adrian92 wrote:
    Remove both MCBs Replace with one with,I think, 20 amp rating

Did you miss the post where they said it was a lighting circuit?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

If it's a lighting circuit the circuits are probably joined at a light switch or two switches are joined.

• Advertisement

If it's a lighting circuit the circuits are probably joined at a light switch or two switches are joined.

I'd agree, but that isn't a reason to put them all on a single 20A MCB.

Yes, I missed that lighting circuits involved.

The OP originally stated power outlets only (later said lighting circuits involved)

Given that, I would be reluctant to give any advice .
    Seems to me a need for an electrician required here.

2011 wrote: »
    That’s good news. It would be prudent to get him to check the entire installation.

They’d be leaving themselves open to getting fleeced then. If they’re not tripping then I’d be inclined to leave them.

I'd agree, but that isn't a reason to put them all on a single 20A MCB.

Its likely he was pointing out a possible cause, not this single 20A as a solution.

They’d be leaving themselves open to getting fleeced then. If they’re not tripping then I’d be inclined to leave them.

Recommending leaving 2 lighting mcbs incorrectly connected in parallel is poor imo.

And with that level of electrical install, checking the rest of the installation is definitely good advice.

The idea of the MCB is to protect the connected cable from an over current condition. The way these MCBs have been connected means that they cannot provide adequate protection. Leaving circuits without proper protection is inadvisable as is concluding that the circuits are heathy just because incorrectly installed protective devices have not tripped.

The cost of making an electrical installation safe is generally very small when compared to the value of the property. Don’t be “penny wise and pound stupid”.

Depending on the age of the house, if no other work was done since it was originally installed then the proper tests were not carried out for the certification.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭TheBully

It’s just a lighting circuit lads, remove the loop on the load side. Problem solved

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭TheBully

Depending on the age of the house, if no other work was done since it was originally installed then the proper tests were not carried out for the certification.

What test? It was an oversight at best

• Advertisement

TheBully wrote: »
    What test? It was an oversight at best

Erroneous test,but it might not been around at the time, and visual inspection if there's 1.5s going into a 20a breaker

Advertisement