Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Home Broadband (Setup and Mesh advice)

• 29-01-2020 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I'm hoping to get some clarity on a few questions following reading multiple posts on the subject. Right now I have Eir Broadband and using the f2000 modem. I have external hikvision security cameras that I can access from my phone which was configured on the eir router.

Question 1. I've dead spots for wifi so looking at what I think is the right option, that being a mesh and was looking at the TP-Link M5 Deco or TP-Link P9 although other than how they look I'm not sure of the difference.

Question2: Would I need to reconfigure the cameras or is it just the wifi portion that the mesh helps with and I keep the f2000.

Question 3. I wanted to get wifi at my front gate but its about 100 meters from the house. Is there an option that isn't overly expensive. I could put some device about 25 meters from the house, like a repeater that would pickup the mesh and then I'd just need it to get another 70 meters for example but maybe the device would pickup the external unit?

Question 4: Hopefully not too off topic but I also experience poor mobile signal. I can't make / receive calls in some rooms. Its a mix between walls and lots of tress around the house. Is there any type of booster I could get for the roof that would help that again isn't overly expensive.

I'm also thinking about getting SIRO as it just became available although not sure that would impact any of the above. Appreciate any guidance on offer.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Mobiles - get a booster, the legal ones cost 400-600€ before installation.

Hikvision - you need to be realllll careful. NVRs are regularly hacked and exposing one is a like hanging out a "hack me" sign to Shodan. Make sure you're alerted every time an update is released.

Gate - Ubi Nanostation and a decent WiFi camera should be enough. Some of the Chinese cams have terrible WiFi range. If not you'd need a pair and it'll become a bigger job.

WiFi - powerline adapters should probably be a first attempt as they're so quick to install.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

alacro wrote: »
    I'm hoping to get some clarity on a few questions following reading multiple posts on the subject. Right now I have Eir Broadband and using the f2000 modem. I have external hikvision security cameras that I can access from my phone which was configured on the eir router.

Question 1. I've dead spots for wifi so looking at what I think is the right option, that being a mesh and was looking at the TP-Link M5 Deco or TP-Link P9 although other than how they look I'm not sure of the difference.

Question2: Would I need to reconfigure the cameras or is it just the wifi portion that the mesh helps with and I keep the f2000.

Question 3. I wanted to get wifi at my front gate but its about 100 meters from the house. Is there an option that isn't overly expensive. I could put some device about 25 meters from the house, like a repeater that would pickup the mesh and then I'd just need it to get another 70 meters for example but maybe the device would pickup the external unit?

Question 4: Hopefully not too off topic but I also experience poor mobile signal. I can't make / receive calls in some rooms. Its a mix between walls and lots of tress around the house. Is there any type of booster I could get for the roof that would help that again isn't overly expensive.

I'm also thinking about getting SIRO as it just became available although not sure that would impact any of the above. Appreciate any guidance on offer.

Don't waste your money on homeplugs for WiFi extension. They don't support device roaming between access points, and portable devices cling onto weaker signals leading to a very poor user experience. Mesh systems such as the TPLink Deco are becoming reasonably affordable and provide a much better experience allowing devices to roam across the whole network at full signal strength. If you have Cat5/Cat6 wiring in place, you could also use a mesh system such as Ubiquiti AP AC Lite which can be powered off the Ethernet cables - this means you don't need power sockets or trailing power leads at the WiFi access points. Once you fix your WiFi deadspots, just use WiFi Calling to give yourself full mobile coverage over WiFi when at home. Eir support full WiFi calling on all their bill-pay plans, and Vodafone have a limited version (without support for texting or roaming) on some of their high-end plans. Most mid to high-end phones now support WiFi calling. No need for a separate booster.

Advertisement