Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Close To Getting My First Bike (Some Silly Questions)

Options
  • 29-01-2020 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭

Hi there,

I'm close to getting my first bike soon.

I have a few silly questions which someone might be able to help with.

A - Can you drive in a bus lane to pass out cars while coasting up to traffic lights. I know you should never pass a car out on the left, but what is the likely of getting pulled for it by a Guard?

B - I've constantly notice that a lot of motorbikes drive a lot faster in areas that are prone to Garda cameras. I travel on the Stillorgan (Dublin) motorway everyday which is notorious for both speed camera vans and Gardai with speed guns, and while 99% of cars obey the 60km limit on this stretch because of their presence, most motorbikes seem to be doing 80km+. Are Guards not bothered with bikes, or do the cameras not pick them up.

FYI, I'm not looking to break rules on the road, particularly as a newbie. I'm just curious about the eathos on the road, as I'm trying to learn the ways of the road from my car, while waiting to get motorbike lessons, etc.

Thank you for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Banzai600

im on the bike all year round. i use bus lanes, but like the majority, i take my time, some ppl whizz up them, cars included. if you are taking your time, being courteous to others, you should be fine. ive passed many cops over the years in bus lanes and never got pulled in, regardless of what bike / scooter i was on. Bus lanes are safer for motorcyclists, you need to take care at junctions / ped crossings etc.

you dont really pain a pretty picture re the stillorgan carriageway, its well known for being well enforced. id say youre seeing a minority of riders not majority.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭paul7g

Ok great, thanks for the reply on this.

I'm hoping good use of the bus lane could turn a 40 min car journey into 20 in rush hour?

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

Best to be careful in the N11 bus lane - cars can pull in there when traffic is at a standstill, without really checking first. Traffic is very bad so drivers are frustrated and can be unpredictable - important to keep that in mind.

There were plenty of Gardai checking for cars in the bus lanes over Christmas (and a few since). They did not pull in any motorbikes.

Few cars do 60 on that stretch - if you drive your motorbike at 60, you'll be putting yourself in a bit of danger I think. I would always try to stay slightly ahead of traffic if I can but at least keep up with other vehicles. I wouldn't necessarily describe that stretch as notorious for speed checking - haven't seen anything in months - but yes, it does get attention from the Gardai.

On some sections of the N11 - maybe further south than the bit you are talking about, the bus lane is 60 and the road 80.

Garda speed equipment can definitely pick up bikes. They certainly don't ignore bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Banzai600

if you're in 50 / 60 kmh zones for your commute, a scooter will be less costly, cheaper to insure and easier for you - if you are a car driver switching to two wheels for handiness, as opposed to it becoming a hobby / interest. My 2 cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭ratracer

Just to be very clear, as you are a new rider - Using a bus lane on a motorbike is illegal under the Road Traffic Act. If you are stopped, you are completely at the Garda’s discretion as to whether they ticket you or give you a warning. Currently it is not a penalty point offence, I would imagine they would take a dim view of a learner in the lane.

Be very careful in the lane, as road traffic will just pull in/ turn in right in front of you, and if it goes to court you will be found at least partially liable for being in the lane.

Good luck with the riding, I don’t live in Dublin, but I hate the Galway commute in the car, at least I am home at relatively consistent time every day on the bike!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Colm17RvB

Not silly, but A - No & B - No.

Now people do it and get away with it everyday because they are considerate and don't take the piss. I'd often use the N11 on the bike, and use the bus lanes in heavy traffic. One thing I will say is learn when to cut back in, and even do so very early in anticipation of an upcoming hazard or road layout, no point in getting yourself awkwardly boxed in somewhere you don't want to be.

There's very little point in speeding on the N11 from Cabinteely inwards as the junctions are so frequent, your main benefit will be being able to filter through cars to get to the top of the queue to get ahead. I did see some muppet on a 600/1000 sports, revving the sh*te out of the bike and racing away from the lights every single time, getting pulled by the Gardaí back in August, I lolled as I glided passed him in the bus lane doing about 60kmph.

I was doing some advanced rider training last year and my instructor lifted me out of it for entering a bus lane, supposedly perpetuating the public opinion of bikers being outlaws or some sh*te like that. My argument was it was safer for me to be there than out in a lane clogged with cars.

I've been pulled by a Garda on N11 for being in the bus lane, it was more for show, we had a nice polite chat, and once he realised I wasn't a dick (he's a poor judge of character) we went on our merry way.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Always ride at a speed you can stop safely and always use your lights day or night.

If you filter safely and ride confidently you will most likely never be pulled but as all of the above answers you now know bus lanes are a no but I tend to see a blind eye thrown as quite a few bikers are Gaurds.

Get good protective gear and use it even in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭paul7g

Thank you for all of the replies.

I feel like I am learning lots from this forum, from just reading other people's posts, thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

ratracer wrote: »
    Just to be very clear, as you are a new rider - Using a bus lane on a motorbike is illegal under the Road Traffic Act. If you are stopped, you are completely at the Garda’s discretion as to whether they ticket you or give you a warning. Currently it is not a penalty point offence, I would imagine they would take a dim view of a learner in the lane.

Be very careful in the lane, as road traffic will just pull in/ turn in right in front of you, and if it goes to court you will be found at least partially liable for being in the lane.

Good luck with the riding, I don’t live in Dublin, but I hate the Galway commute in the car, at least I am home at relatively consistent time every day on the bike!

Just wondering why driving in the bus lane is any different legally for a learner? My take is that it's illegal for motorbikes full stop - but the Gardai turn a blind eye. Have seen the Gardai doing their bus lane checks wave motorbike learners through with no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭ratracer

steamsey wrote: »
    Just wondering why driving in the bus lane is any different legally for a learner? My take is that it's illegal for motorbikes full stop - but the Gardai turn a blind eye. Have seen the Gardai doing their bus lane checks wave motorbike learners through with no issues.

Which is exactly what I said in the first line of my post!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,706 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

ratracer wrote: »
    Just to be very clear, as you are a new rider - Using a bus lane on a motorbike is illegal under the Road Traffic Act.

I often use a bus lane legally, after 10am or after 7pm!

Check the plate. Most cagers are too stupid or unobservant to use the lane when they legally can.

I use bus lanes illegally every day too, but so does every motorcyclist in Dublin. The law is a complete ass and MAG have been trying to get this changed for years. At least almost all gardai have the good sense to not enforce this senseless law.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,706 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

20 years ago I got the 'theatrical' pull on the N11 bus lane.

Lots of pointing and arm waving and pretending to write stuff in his notebook. In reality it was all a show for the cagers and he had no intention whatsoever of doing me. Biker guard.

I stupidly tried to filter to the left of a van stopped in the bus lane, only realising too late the reason it was stopped was because of the guard! so he had to make a show of giving out to me. Was stupid on my part though, should have gone to the right and pretended to be in the normal traffic until I knew what was going on.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

Also be very careful approaching a "right hand turn" if you are in the bus lane. The car drivers will swing into the bus lane to go around the car turning right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Also be very careful approaching a "right hand turn" if you are in the bus lane. The car drivers will swing into the bus lane to go around the car turning right.

Just be careful in general. They're all oblivious.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 MJH17

As a 35 year veteran motorcyclist who is motorcycle qualified in two separate Police forces I can tell you that the advice you have received in this thread is almost without exception refreshingly valid, sensible and mature. Motorcycles are great but very unforgiving, just remember your first spill might be your only one. Just presume everyone else on the road is out to get you and never lose concentration. All the best and stay safe.

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

MJH17 wrote: »
    As a 35 year veteran motorcyclist who is motorcycle qualified in two separate Police forces

Mike

Depot or College trained ? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Ljmscooter

MJH17 wrote: »
    everyone else on the road is out to get you

and at night they dig potholes and spill gravel on all the corners.

Advertisement