Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ferry ticket for van vs campervan

Options
  • 29-01-2020 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭

I'm looking at possibly buying a campervan and would be hoping to bring it abroad at least once a year on the ferry. I'm curious about how they decide if it's a campervan. If it looks like a normal van and is within the dimensions of the smallest van category can you buy a ticket for a van?

It's just that the price in the smallest van category looks to be the same as a car but the price in the smallest camper/motorhome category is a lot higher. Once it's within the small van dimensions, I don't see why it should matter what's inside it. Does anyone know how it works and if they check when you're checking in?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

One look at your tax disk or scripted check or reg plates and they'd know

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭waterfaerie

I suppose I know they could check if they wanted to but I'm wondering if they care about the tax category? Or are they more concerned about the size and how much space the vehicle takes up on the ferry?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I brought my motorhome to England past year. From my understanding they charge by length of vehicle, under a certain size, over a certain size etc

Ferry travel is so simple and they're usually great to deal with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭airhead_eire

With Stenaline, I book my VW T5 camper on as a car. The same with DFDS if I am going out of Dover.

Advertisement