Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annual review question

Options
  • 29-01-2020 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi all,

I have my annual review next month and I was wondering is it appropriate to ask to move up on the salary scale if I've been made aware that much more work is coming down the line this year and I had originally been told there might be more money for extra projects and now there's no mention of it. I am thinking of asking instead of moving up one point on the scale (annual increment) to be reviewed and move up two more to compensate for the extra work and responsibility I have been told I will have.

Any advice welcomed!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

I think an annual review is an appropriate place to discuss a salary improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭whampiri

LambChop1 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have my annual review next month and I was wondering is it appropriate to ask to move up on the salary scale if I've been made aware that much more work is coming down the line this year and I had originally been told there might be more money for extra projects and now there's no mention of it. I am thinking of asking instead of moving up one point on the scale (annual increment) to be reviewed and move up two more to compensate for the extra work and responsibility I have been told I will have.

Any advice welcomed!

My wife has a saying "don't ask, don't get".

The worst they can say is "no". Just make sure that you can justify the increment with examples and reasons why you should be getting one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

Is it a performance review or a pay review? You should clarify with your manager in advance.

If it’s a performance review, with a separate pay review scheduled later, don’t mention money. But drive home all the great work you’ve been doing and try to show specific examples of growth in areas you’ve worked on.

Build your case for a pay review.

In my opinion, it will be hard to put a case for a pay rise based on work coming down the line. It’s much easier to make a case for a pay rise based on a job well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 LambChop1

Hi folks,

Thanks for your feedback, much appreciated. It's a review of 2019 (which went very well) and then my manager will say that I am going to move the next scale (basic increment). Because we have been made aware that more work and responsibility is coming our way and we will be a team member down I was considering making this request. I suppose they can only say no!

Thanks all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Is this a Public Sector or Private sector role? You mention 'increment' which is more so associated with the civil and public space and (from my experience) managers are more restricted in terms of giving you pay bumps etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement