Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Problem getting fibre optic from Vodafone

• 29-01-2020 4:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭

Hi. Hope someone can help.

Currently getting BB from Fastcom through a dish on chimney. However max speed is 10mb and this has been fine up to now but I;m going down IPTV route for some stuff and will need faster speeds.

I went on to Bonkers.ie and entered my Eircode. This tells me I can get "Part Fibre) which I assume is copper from the cabinet. The cabinet is outside my next door neighbour's house 20 - 30m tops.

I submitted the form to VF and when the rep rang he said only "full Fibre" was possible at our address and the monthly rate would be more plus a 100e installation fee. The "Part Fibre" was free installation.

What I want to know is: Is this plausible? If so why does it say on Bonkers that my house is able to get the "Part Fibre"?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Put aircide into airwire.ie checker and post back what’s available.

sligojoek wrote: »
    Hi. Hope someone can help.

Currently getting BB from Fastcom through a dish on chimney. However max speed is 10mb and this has been fine up to now but I;m going down IPTV route for some stuff and will need faster speeds.

I went on to Bonkers.ie and entered my Eircode. This tells me I can get "Part Fibre) which I assume is copper from the cabinet. The cabinet is outside my next door neighbour's house 20 - 30m tops.

I submitted the form to VF and when the rep rang he said only "full Fibre" was possible at our address and the monthly rate would be more plus a 100e installation fee. The "Part Fibre" was free installation.

What I want to know is: Is this plausible? If so why does it say on Bonkers that my house is able to get the "Part Fibre"?

Are there any other providers than vodafone?

I'm with them and customer service is dire. I'll be looking to move as soon as my contract is up, I don't have BB, its just billpay phone.

They accidentally unprovisioned my SIM in November and it took them 2 weeks to fix it. I can to get a temporary SIM and temporary number.

They used to have a "Talk to me" area on boards, but they got rid of it.

And their new website is unusable much of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Bonkers is not a good site to use they only list providers that pay to have their service listed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

shanec1928 wrote: »
    Put aircide into airwire.ie checker and post back what’s available.

VDSL Products - Fibre to the Cabinet (Please check with our sales team )
    Fibre to the Home

Had a look at Eir site since and it seems FTTH is the only option. That's grand as long as I know. Bonkers and Switcher shouldn't be saying FTTC is available when it's not.

Are there any other providers than vodafone?

I'm with them and customer service is dire. I'll be looking to move as soon as my contract is up, I don't have BB, its just billpay phone.

They accidentally unprovisioned my SIM in November and it took them 2 weeks to fix it. I can to get a temporary SIM and temporary number.

They used to have a "Talk to me" area on boards, but they got rid of it.

And their new website is unusable much of the time.

I hear ya. Been there done that with mobile before. It's just that they were top of the list and seemed to have the best deal until I spoke to them.

I'll keep researching for now. I've till the end of Feb to make up my mind

• Advertisement

Thanks for the input.

I ended up going with FTTH with Eir. Up to 150 down 30 up, with Eir sports and Amazon prime video for 12 months @ 40e pm. I'm paying that at the moment for a 10 down <1 up from a "line of sight" dish on the chimney. Never had any issues only it's not fast enough anymore.

The FO system was only installed recently and a few neighbours who have other deals and TV packages are all happy with service and no breakdowns. Should be OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 suki500

After a lot of research I joined VF in Dec. On VFs own website using teh eircodes it says I can get upto 100mbps, my 6 neighbors get 90-100 but all 6 houses across the road 30m away only get on average 55mbps. The telegraph poles are on my side of the road. VF say I am getting the max available. 'simply broadband' E390 in total for the first year no installation fee. Today their website still says they do not charge for installation. I use IPTV and am very happy with what I have. Five people in the family always on line, no complaints. They have many friends visiting who all say its very reliable.

I also have an apartment with Eir and have had nothing but problems with them, I spend on average 10 hrs a week onto support for the past 18 mths. Yep really, I just stick with it until its back running. in my experience Eir are hands down the worst support I have ever found since the internet started. Don't take my word for it just look at all the negative comment online.

Advertisement