Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice on rewiring

Options
  • 29-01-2020 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi Folks,

I got my house rewired last year by a reputable electrician and there was a couple issues, one was there was an earth wire going into the kitchen extension that the builder had made it difficult for the electrician to position it correctly i think it was the gas line but i know thats earthed now.
    another was one of the handy men putting up my tv in sitting room hit the wire for a socket and the sparks had to put a little plastic connector block to repair the issue. at the start of all of the work with the sparks we asked for a completion cert and at the end when the issue with the socket happened i asked wtc with the cert the sparks told me he wasnt in position to ceritfy it because of those issues which he never informed me knowing we wanted it certified is there anything i can do other than getting a full rewire?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

onetime12 wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

I got my house rewired last year by a reputable electrician and there was a couple issues, one was there was an earth wire going into the kitchen extension that the builder had made it difficult for the electrician to position it correctly i think it was the gas line but i know thats earthed now.
    another was one of the handy men putting up my tv in sitting room hit the wire for a socket and the sparks had to put a little plastic connector block to repair the issue. at the start of all of the work with the sparks we asked for a completion cert and at the end when the issue with the socket happened i asked wtc with the cert the sparks told me he wasnt in position to ceritfy it because of those issues which he never informed me knowing we wanted it certified is there anything i can do other than getting a full rewire?

Your post is a bit confusing
    If you got a full rewire a year ago then a certificate should have been issued

If repair work was carried out subsequently then this should have been carried out to regulations and have no impact on the issuing of a certificate

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭EHP

Yeah a bit confused aswell either way it doesn't matter a REC has to issue a cert if requested even for minor works of course there would be a charge for this. If he completed a rewire or any other restricted works he would have to issue a cert no matter what. I would contact him again for the cert if he doesn't issue it I would contact RECI.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 onetime12

Hi Lads thanks for the reply yeah im never great at long stories ha

so basically full rewire > issues > sparks told me he cant cert the work because of those issues.

So im left with full work done on my house and no certs

Hes not gonna come back iv a few choice words about him because he was difficult and thought things like "forgetting to run cat6" through the house was gonna be overlooked i made him run them because thats what was agreed. i didnt ask for anything extra just what was agreed.

So the only choice i have is go to RECI?

Thanks for reply folks

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I agree with the replies you have received so far.

In summary you are entitled to stand your ground and insist on the certs. If the electrician refuses explain that your hand has been forced and you will have to report him to RECI and failing a satisfactory outcome to the CRU. I think the issue will be resolved then.

Advertisement