Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Deal breakers and turn-off's in dating!

Comments

A butter dish...

What century are you posting from?

Real butter deserves a proper porcelain dish. None of your dairy spread nonsense for me.

One of the loveliest little pleasures in life is a pot of tea, some fresh toast, and butter at the perfect temperature in it's own dish. It's very civilised and proper, and most things aren't.

We can never be lovers now :(

I'm ruling out lovers at a shocking rate :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,039 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Everyone who uses “real” butter needs a butter dish.

Just having the block out still in the wrapper is, incredibly, uncouth. It’s, also, unsightly.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Was out for dinner with 2 of my house mates last night and we had a conversation about dating experiences. One of them told a story about how she met a guy at a Halloween party and he was dressed as Alex from A Clockwork Orange. She didn't know the movie.

He asked her out and on their first date, he told her wondered what it would be like to kill someone. She thought that was weird, but still didn't see the red flags everywhere. She told her housemate, who did know of the movie, and freaked out. She wanted here to call the police but the girl telling the story didn't do that.

She did cut ties with him (by blocking his number) immediately but also felt nervous for a couple of months that she was going to run in to him.

I have wondered the same thing as that person. What would it feel like to take another person's life. Would it be the same as taking my own in the sense that I would no longer be able to live with myself. If I was faced with a scenario where it was me or them would I be able to act. I have all sorts of thoughts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Just having the block out still in the wrapper is, incredibly, uncouth. It’s, also, unsightly.

But it gives an 'exotic' guest the opportunity to say: "Kerrygold, you have this in Ireland too?":P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,549 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Everyone who “real” butter needs a butter dish.

The butter dish challenged would also be the type to put the milk carton and bag of sugar on the table without any embarrassment or shame.

The butter dish challenged would also be the type to put the milk carton and bag of sugar on the table without any embarrassment or shame.

Guttersnipes!

My inner Mrs Bucket has been activated :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,972 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I have wondered the same thing as that person. What would it feel like to take another person's life. Would it be the same as taking my own in the sense that I would no longer be able to live with myself. If I was faced with a scenario where it was me or them would I be able to act. I have all sorts of thoughts.

For me, it was the Clockwork Orange connection which would have moved something from a more philosophical topic* (if still quite dark) to 'I don't think this is going anywhere territory.' pretty quickly.

*Wondering could you take someone else's life versus saying you wondered what it would be like to do it are also quite far apart in terms of where that persons mind is at.

For me, it was the Clockwork Orange connection which would have moved something from a more philosophical topic* (if still quite dark) to 'I don't think this is going anywhere territory.' pretty quickly.

*Wondering could you take someone else's life versus saying you wondered what it would be like to do it are also quite far apart in terms of where that persons mind is at.

Yes I do wonder what it would be like. My mind can be strange at times :)

But it gives an 'exotic' guest the opportunity to say: "Kerrygold, you have this in Ireland too?":P

Yes but in cases where this would happen, the 'exotic guest' lives 2 miles away down the road by Murphys big field.

Butterdishes are all nice and everything but there is also something about a late night snack just after getting in with the kerrygold in it's wrapper, and the packets of ham and cheese or whatever on the table as well.

People fixated on the container the butter is in probably pour taytos in to a dish when serving them, thus removing 70% of the experience and effectively turning them in to 'crisps'.

• Advertisement

Yes but in cases where this would happen, the 'exotic guest' lives 2 miles away down the road by Murphys big field.

Butterdishes are all nice and everything but there is also something about a late night snack just after getting in with the kerrygold in it's wrapper, and the packets of ham and cheese or whatever on the table as well.

People fixated on the container the butter is in probably pour taytos in to a dish when serving them, thus removing 70% of the experience and effectively turning them in to 'crisps'.

I do the bowl thing.

Now we can never be lovers. :(

Yes I do wonder what it would be like. My mind can be strange at times :)

As long as you are not using phrases like 'droogs' and 'Eggiweggs', I'd probably let you away with it. I would scan your vicinity for sharp objects mind.

Candie wrote: »
    I do the bowl thing.

Now we can never be lovers. :(

Brexit has changed you!!!

Brexit has changed you!!!

I have so much family in the UK that I never thought I'd be happy not to live there anymore. As much as there still is to recommend it, I don't feel like I'll ever return now. It genuinely makes me sad, and many people I know who'll be living with the consequences of that vote for a long time to come.

On topic: wouldn't date a Brexiteer.

I have so much family in the UK that I never thought I'd be happy not to live there anymore. As much as there still is to recommend it, I don't feel like I'll ever return now. It genuinely makes me sad, and many people I know who'll be living with the consequences of that vote for a long time to come.

I did something I thought I would never do and dated a card carrying republican who voted for Trump for a couple of months last year. We were already dating before I discovered this and while it wasn't the sole reason I ended things, it definitely played a part in my consideration of whether there was long term potential.

In her favour, she said she had changed her view on him over the last 3 years. But still, she owned guns as well which further fed in to the political stereotype.

As long as you are not using phrases like 'droogs' and 'Eggiweggs', I'd probably let you away with it. I would scan your vicinity for sharp objects mind.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

A butter dish...

What century are you posting from?

Yes, lots of people still use them. I keep my butter in the foil, then place it in a dish to keep it fully covered as gaps tend to form when it’s just foil. Stops airborne stuff settling on the butter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

I know, the sight of block of butter in it's foil wrapper sitting on the table is enough to give me the vapours, pass the smelling salts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Being human.

Seriously I'm 33, a virgin, never had a girlfriend, never been kissed, never held hands etc, and I'm sure all this will be the case till the day I die.

Don't trust people, don't like people very much. Misanthropic and proud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Difficult to find a nice, medium sized butterdish though. I nearly found one today by Carolyn Donnelly in Dunnes but I didn’t like the knob for lifting it (it was in the shape of a bird).

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Anyway, the butter will have to live in its wrapper till I find a suitable dish for it. And to answer the question I’d never date anyone as fussy as me.

• Advertisement

How Dickensian.

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Difficult to find a nice, medium sized butterdish though. I nearly found one today by Carolyn Donnelly in Dunnes but I didn’t like the knob for lifting it (it was in the shape of a bird).

Was that the white one with golden bird or the “gaudy” green one with the painted rooster?

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Being human.

Seriously I'm 33, a virgin, never had a girlfriend, never been kissed, never held hands etc, and I'm sure all this will be the case till the day I die.

Resignation and pride in the same post. If you avoid fellow humans, then chances are you won't come into contact with womenfolk. To each their own.

Was that the white one with golden bird or the “gaudy” green one with the painted rooster?

It was this ladeen right here, or one of the variants on him.

https://www.dunnesstores.com/p/carolyn-donnelly-eclectic-bird-butter-dish/2055418

I think if someone hadn't made a bit of an effort with their appearance on a first date they'd have started on a back footing. Facially I would have found that guy with the beard and the annoying American accent on First Dates last Thursday quite attractive but when the camera zoomed out, I though "you could have at least made a bit of an effort" Don't get me wrong I find excessive vanity a huge turn off, nothing wrong with wanting to look good, just don't lose the run of yourself.

That guy also was way too much of a man baby for me to be attracted to.

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Putting a wet spoon in the sugar! :mad:

Hanging the toilet paper in the incorrect fashion (outwards).
    Who even are you

Resignation and pride in the same post. If you avoid fellow humans, then chances are you won't come into contact with womenfolk. To each their own.

I've suffered from a lot of depression throughout my adult life, I've been let down my a lot of people, friendships, falling out with family etc.

I don't like people, I just put up with them tbh, although I'm curtious and friendly in person when I can be, but I don't trust people and have no interest in forming close relationships with anyone, to protect my own skin and self worth as much as anything.

I could be dead within a couple of years, I have suicidal thoughts quite frequently, so my own aim is to live as long as I can and look after myself. Its selfish but its the only way I can function.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Non smoker non ugly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,105 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Non smoker non ugly

You prefer ugly smokers?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

I've been let down my a lot of people, friendships, falling out with family etc.
    Chicken or egg?

I've had a few first dates with guys who drank way too much, one got quite nasty and couldn't understand why I wasn't interested in round two. Another went to the bar for the last call and arrived back with four pints, one for me and three for him! needless to say, that didn't go very far either. Saw way too much alcohol at home growing up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

Being human.

If you are happy that way then good for you but do you have friends or is it all human contact you dislike?

https://www.dunnesstores.com/p/carolyn-donnelly-eclectic-bird-butter-dish/2055418

Yeah, doesn’t look big enough. They have some more “standard” butter dishes in the Stephen’s Green branch.

The other place I know that has them, off the top of my head, is “Stock” on South King St. They have glass and metal ones, not my thing but I wouldn’t hold it against anyone if they went for one.

You can get a plain white porcelain one almost anywhere. Fairly sure I bought the one I have in a supermarket. I'd subscribe to the view that all serveware and dishware should be plain white porcelain, others may have more imagination (and taste).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Elessar

On a date the other night with a girl:

"It's a red flag for me if a guy is not on social media" after discussing instagram and I mentioned I don't really do social media. "I mean, what is he hiding? He's probably a serial killer or a rapist".

Followed by it's a red flag for her if a guy isn't friends with his exes, when I mentioned I don't do friends with exes.

A lot of red flags from her in one evening I must say

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

Seamai wrote: »
    I've had a few first dates with guys who drank way too much, one got quite nasty and couldn't understand why I wasn't interested in round two. Another went to the bar for the last call and arrived back with four pints, one for me and three for him! needless to say, that didn't go very far either. Saw way too much alcohol at home growing up.

Well, that depends how round 1 went I suppose... did he win, or did you get a few nice digs in yourself!? :P

Chicken or egg?

It looks like I'm the common denominator I know but I think its rather the type of relationships and friendships I form with people that's the problem. All my closest friends during my childhood eventually always became my school bullies. I went to a few different schools and it kept happening and they'd get the whole year/class against me etc, I think the friendships I formed were always ones where I was the less dominant one, doing favours for others, under their control. I'm not saying I'm perfect but I think its the type of people who I'm attracted to who want to be friends with me as they see weakness in me and that's usually the problem.
    If you are happy that way then good for you but do you have friends or is it all human contact you dislike?

I have no friends. I'm a natural loner, I feel safer and secure in myself that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

you were right not to get it if you dont like it, although it seems great value at 2 euro, keep your eye out for a more suitable one and soon you will have the butter dish of your dreams. ;)

It looks like I'm the common denominator I know but I think its rather the type of relationships and friendships I form with people that's the problem. All my closest friends during my childhood eventually always became my school bullies. I went to a few different schools and it kept happening and they'd get the whole year/class against me etc, I think the friendships I formed were always ones where I was the less dominant one, doing favours for others, under their control. I'm not saying I'm perfect but I think its the type of people who I'm attracted to who want to be friends with me as they see weakness in me and that's usually the problem.

I have no friends. I'm a natural loner, I feel safer and secure in myself that way.

Maybe you are happy with that but I do feel sorry for you.

Yeah, doesn’t look big enough. They have some more “standard” butter dishes in the Stephen’s Green branch.

The other place I know that has them, off the top of my head, is “Stock” on South King St. They have glass and metal ones, not my thing but I wouldn’t hold it against anyone if they went for one.

Oh no, the size is actually perfect. A medium one is what I’m looking for.

It’s just that bird on top that’s a bit off putting. I’ve tried in Stock before alright. I can’t imagine butter tasting good off metal (though possibly it has no effect); it’s porcelain or nothing for me.
    You can get a plain white porcelain one almost anywhere. Fairly sure I bought the one I have in a supermarket. I'd subscribe to the view that all serveware and dishware should be plain white porcelain, others may have more imagination (and taste).

There are absolutely tonnes of butter dishes I could get. My Mom even got me a plain white one like you describe. It’s the wrong size though. I want a medium sized one.

I reiterate:
    And to answer the question I’d never date anyone as fussy as me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

I bet you would... lots of people will.

17+ million leave voters... It's not logical to think that every single one of them, is either an idiot or a racist (or both). Lots of them are just normal decent people, like everyone else... they just happen to have a different political stance! :)

pgj2015 wrote: »
    you were right not to get it if you dont like it, although it seems great value at 2 euro, keep your eye out for a more suitable one and soon you will have the butter dish of your dreams. ;)

I didn’t realise it was two Euro at the time though, truth be told, I’d happily pay three or even four Euro if the right butter dish came my way.

A man can dream. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Ah now, Thomas, that's bs. If you make the effort and go out and meet a few people - find a common interest or something - and just be yourself, I can guarantee you that by this time next year, you'll be 34.

I bet you would... lots of people will.

17+ million leave voters... It's not logical to think that every single one of them, is either an idiot or a racist (or both). Lots of them are just normal decent people, like everyone else... they just happen to have a different political stance! :)

No I definitely* won't, ever.

I agree with you, not all Brexiteers are racist or idiots and those people deserve the same consideration as anyone else. However, I would say that most racists or idiots are Brexiteers, and those wouldn't be on my radar.

* I very recently got married.

Elessar wrote: »
    On a date the other night with a girl:

"It's a red flag for me if a guy is not on social media" after discussing instagram and I mentioned I don't really do social media. "I mean, what is he hiding? He's probably a serial killer or a rapist".

Followed by it's a red flag for her if a guy isn't friends with his exes, when I mentioned I don't do friends with exes.

A lot of red flags from her in one evening I must say

There will be some exes where friendship will never work, and some where they do, I have an ex who I'd still be very close to, I think we'll always be good friends, my partner really likes him too, often the four of us (us and our two partners) will go out together. There's no awkwardness there. It took a while to get to a point, the break up was very messy but time was a healer.

An obsession with social media would be a big turn off for me though.

I agree with you, not all Brexiteers are racist or idiots and those people deserve the same consideration as anyone else.

I wouldn’t. Aside from the “fishermen”, the rest were pretty much racists or idiots, or both.

I wouldn’t. Aside from the “fishermen”, the rest were pretty much racists or idiots, or both.

Ah, not all Leavers were morons or racists, though a fair few were misguided by lies.

Similarly not all Trump voters are bigots or fools - though most bigots and fools were Trump voters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Well risking the toilet paper being unravelled all over the place rather than kept on a tight leash? Sorry C, you're too much of a loose canon.
    Why do you feel the need to brush your sheets of paper and hand against the wall that has been brushed against by the hands of myriad abstergers before you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Elessar

Seamai wrote: »
    There will be some exes where friendship will never work, and some where they do, I have an ex who I'd still be very close to, I think we'll always be good friends, my partner really likes him too, often the four of us (us and our two partners) will go out together. There's no awkwardness there. It took a while to get to a point, the break up was very messy but time was a healer.

An obsession with social media would be a big turn off for me though.

Yeah I get that. For me, with exes, there's just something bizarre about "just' being friends with someone you've made passionate love to, shared your life with and were best friends with in a close relationship with. And then to meet their new partner who is now doing all these things with them. I can't do it and can't be friends as much as I would like to. I don't like being seen as second best, or that I'm some kind of consolation prize when first place goes to a new person. I dunno. Just doesn't work for me. We're either completely together, or not at all, without wanting to sound harsh about it.

The social media thing was more the fact that she basically equated me with a serial killer and a rapist, to my face :eek:

Elessar wrote: »
    Yeah I get that. For me, with exes, there's just something bizarre about "just' being friends with someone you've made passionate love to, shared your life with and were best friends with in a close relationship with. And then to meet their new partner who is now doing all these things with them. I can't do it and can't be friends as much as I would like to. I don't like being seen as second best, or that I'm some kind of consolation prize when first place goes to a new person. I dunno. Just doesn't work for me. We're either completely together, or not at all, without wanting to sound harsh about it.

The social media thing was more the fact that she basically equated me with a serial killer and a rapist, to my face :eek:

I have heard people say that about others before. "He's weird, he doesn't even have a social media account" or "he must be hiding something" the nastiest comment was about a woman I know who has none and the others in the office laughing "well she is fairly unattractive so maybe that's why"

• Advertisement
Advertisement