Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Land registry expedite

Options
  • 29-01-2020 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi there we have lodged an application in land registry and it is now expedited, does anyone know what the timelines are on this normally? We have a house sale pending on it and getting nervous

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Citygirl1

Hi. Wondering if anyone has recent experience of getting a land registry application (Form 1) expedited? If so, how long did it take? I have the application with the land registry for over a year now. Currently looking to sell the property.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,336 ✭✭✭✭looksee

This may not be reliable information as I am not sure what expedited implies. However I had land registry issues at the last house I sold, two small parts of the site (on an estate) were not registered, the solicitor handled it and then undertook to complete whatever had to be done when it had been dealt with by the Land Registry. I moved and didn't hear any more about it - he is still my solicitor and this is 3 years later.

Hi Looksee. Belated thanks for your comments. I'm glad to hear your sale when through without having to wait.

In my scenario, the property is on part registered, part unregistered land. I made the mistake of asking my solicitor to get the unregistered portion, registered, although I wasn't obliged to. 21 months later it's still in the land registry.

The purchaser's solicitor initially indicated that the dealing would have to be completed before closing the sale. However, they then said they would take instructions from their client, as they're a cash purchaser, and I wasn't even obliged to register it. Still waiting for confirmation on this.

Meanwhile my solicitor has raised a request for expedite.

Wondering has anyone else recently either had a cash purchaser take over the dealing; or had a registration expedited? (If so, how long did it take?).

• Registered Users Posts: 3 WicklowWay1234

We are in the exact same position. This is now going on about 6 weeks and the case has been expedited. Has anyone any thoughts?

Hi. By way of update on my previous comments... The sale of my property closed last month, and at that point, over two months after the request to expedite was granted, it was still pending with the land registry. Following some negotiation between solicitors, the purchaser agreed to take over the dealing. I had to sign an undertaking to assist with any queries which may arise down the road.

I understand that this approach would generally be acceptable to a cash purchaser, but if subject to mortgage, the bank may insist on the registration being complete.

Noting, however, that my case was an application for "first registration", and a complicated one at that (per my solicitor). Your scenario may be different. Apparently there is a huge backlog in the Land Registry at present. It was a problem pre-covid, and much worse since.

• Advertisement
Advertisement