Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5 digit combination Lock stuck!

Options
  • 29-01-2020 8:08pm

Good evening everyone :-)

So today I decided to start cycling to college I received a new set of lights and the lock in the post today anyway to cut to the chace

Stupidly I was in a rush when setting up the lock it came with a password 00000 which I changed by rotating a dial by 90 degrees I think I must have forgotten to turn it back after I set my combination (it's a number I use often) now neither the default password or my one work :-( I had to abandon the bike as it was getting dark and I was freezing.

Is there any way to unlock it that doesn't involve either a hacksaw, bolt cutters or an angle grinder?

This is the lock in question.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B06XXDQK27?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Note that a 'college campus' is considered a high risk zone from the bike theft point of view so, if the bike is still there, I'd suggest this. If that's too heavy for you to carry about, this might do though it's not rated for "college campus".

51NBN-s3rML.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,580 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Is there any way to unlock it that doesn't involve either a hacksaw, bolt cutters or an angle grinder?
    three hours, allowing for trying one combination every second.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Takca

Good evening everyone :-)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B06XXDQK27?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

Some of the reviews suggest you might be able to just break it if you pull hard enough? maybe its worth a try at least...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B06XXDQK27/ref=acr_dp_hist_1?ie=UTF8&filterByStar=one_star&reviewerType=all_reviews#reviews-filter-bar

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

I did this very quickly before with a padlock, pulling on the bit that opens (for want of a better description!) as I turned the numbers. In the case of a numbered padlock you'll feel a slight click as the correct number slots into place, all the while maintaining pressure on the opening bit! Not sure if it'll work for a bike lock or not but worth a shot :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I did this very quickly before with a padlock, pulling on the bit that opens (for want of a better description!) as I turned the numbers. In the case of a numbered padlock you'll feel a slight click as the correct number slots into place, all the while maintaining pressure on the opening bit! Not sure if it'll work for a bike lock or not but worth a shot :)
    This ^^^ ... I've had, admittedly fairly cheap and nasty, combination locks like that in the past that have been really easy to crack like this.

In fact, a favourite trick at school (this was waaaay back in the late 60's/early 70's) was to remove someone's combination lock like that, prize off the little circlip that held all the numbers in place and then replace them in a different order. Then hide somewhere and observe the ensuing hilarity as the owner tried the same combination again and again :)

Thanks everyone in the end I had to take a hacksaw to one of the chain links. I feel so stupid once I got home I had a play around with the dial and realised I had set the right combination just not on the correct line!

Any good news is I found my old D lock with its spare keys. And the chain link that was cut has been hammered closed so it could be used again incase I miss place my other lock.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Thanks everyone in the end I had to take a hacksaw to one of the chain links. I feel so stupid once I got home I had a play around with the dial and realised I had set the right combination just not on the correct line!

Any good news is I found my old D lock with its spare keys. And the chain link that was cut has been hammered closed so it could be used again incase I miss place my other lock.

Throw it away! The fact that you were able to cut the link with a hacksaw means the chain is entirely inadequate. It will probably cut like butter with a bolt cropper. Secondly, when you try to use it again, it will fail just on a tug of the bike.

Go study how to use a D lock effectively. So many bikes are badly locked and easy to break...

Advertisement