Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Increase in Rent Pressure Zone

Options
  • 29-01-2020 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭

Hi All,

Looking for some advice please. I’m renting in a rent pressure zone in Dublin and recently received a letter from the letting agency notifying me that the rent will be increasing by 12%. I was quite surprised given that there had been no increase since I started living here almost 3 years ago. I looked up the rent pressure zone calculator and in theory it appears they are allowed to increase the rent up to a maximum of 12% in this particular scenario. The property itself was managed by the property owner until they asked a letting agency to start managing the property six months ago.

Unfortunately I did not receive or request proof of how much the previous tenant(s) was paying. I believe this is a breach of regulations. Also there was no adequate fire safety in the property until a few months ago.

I’d appreciate any guidance or suggestions on my options.

Many thanks 🙏

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Guidance on?

If the RTB calculator confirms that they are raising it by the permitted amount, they are acting within the regs of the RTA.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

another crazy tenant implying somthing is amiss. I take it rent was well below market rate now rent increase is correctly applied you have an issue ! What is the issue ?

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭SomeDude

another crazy tenant implying somthing is amiss. I take it rent was well below market rate now rent increase is correctly applied you have an issue ! What is the issue ?

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Not sure why you presume the rent was well below the market rate. The issue is that we are in rent t pressure zone and want to ensure the landlord has followed the regulations. Crazy, I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

SomeDude wrote: »
    I’m renting in a rent pressure zone in Dublin and recently received a letter from the letting agency notifying me that the rent will be increasing by 12 ... I looked up the rent pressure zone calculator and in theory it appears they are allowed to increase the rent up to a maximum of 12% in this particular scenario.
    So... agency increases rent to maximum allowed, and you are wondering... what?
    I believe this is a breach of regulations.
    I think the regulations that you are referring to didn't come into effect until after you had moved in?
    Also there was no adequate fire safety in the property until a few months ago.
    So there is now?

Dav010 wrote: »
    Guidance on?

If the RTB calculator confirms that they are raising it by the permitted amount, they are acting within the regs of the RTA.

I’m not sure if the calculator operates in isolation to other regulations. I could be wrong on that though.

• Advertisement

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Not sure why you presume the rent was well below the market rate. The issue is that we are in rent t pressure zone and want to ensure the landlord has followed the regulations. Crazy, I know.

Because if they can legally increase by 12% it obviously was. What was your rent prior to the increase and what is the open market rate ?

the_syco wrote: »
    So... agency increases rent to maximum allowed, and you are wondering... what?

If it’s permitted in the circumstances that I outlined...

I think the regulations that you are referring to didn't come into effect until after you had moved in?

I think the regulations came into effect in Dec 2016? This was before we moved in.

So there is now?
    there is only after we questioned why there wasn’t any.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I’m not sure if the calculator operates in isolation to other regulations. I could be wrong on that though.

The calculator gives the max that can be legally charged based on the variables of your tenancy. It does not reflect what the previous tenant was paying. You could contact the RTB for clarification but you would have to track down the last tenant to get confirmation of what he/she was paying.

The fire safety is an issue for the local planners rather than the RTB I would suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭The Student

If the calculator confirms your fig will be 12% increased that that's what it will be. If regs are not been met then that's separate.I suspect your rent was below market rate otherwise why raise rent to above market rate?

Because if they can legally increase by 12% it obviously was. What was your rent prior to the increase and what is the open market rate ?

No, it was actually slightly above similar local lettings at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

I recommend you find somewhere charging similar rent to what you are currently paying because 12% is a big jump alright.

If the calculator confirms your fig will be 12% increased that that's what it will be. If regs are not been met then that's separate.I suspect your rent was below market rate otherwise why raise rent to above market rate?

Okay thanks. I wasn’t aware that the calculator is final.

Rent was similar or slightly below in comparable properties at the time of first renting it.

Rent was similar or slightly below in comparable properties at the time of first renting

That was three years ago or more?

Rent was similar or slightly below in comparable properties at the time of first renting

That was three years ago or more?
    Less than 3

• Registered Users Posts: 17 BigVanVador

Hi All,

Looking for some advice please. I’m renting in a rent pressure zone in Dublin and recently received a letter from the letting agency notifying me that the rent will be increasing by 12%. I was quite surprised given that there had been no increase since I started living here almost 3 years ago. I looked up the rent pressure zone calculator and in theory it appears they are allowed to increase the rent up to a maximum of 12% in this particular scenario. The property itself was managed by the property owner until they asked a letting agency to start managing the property six months ago.

Unfortunately I did not receive or request proof of how much the previous tenant(s) was paying. I believe this is a breach of regulations. Also there was no adequate fire safety in the property until a few months ago.

I’d appreciate any guidance or suggestions on my options.

Many thanks ðŸ™

Sounds right to me. Max of 4% increase a year for 3 years. If there was a breach of regulations you should have raised them at the time and not use it as some sort or bargaining chip.

Sounds right to me. Max of 4% increase a year for 3 years. If there was a breach of regulations you should have raised them at the time and not use it as some sort or bargaining chip.

Thanks for taking the time to read and reply to my post. And thanks for the advice. 12% is a steep hike in my opinion. Already looking at comparable lets for less nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,061 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Thanks for taking the time to read and reply to my post. And thanks for the advice. 12% is a steep hike in my opinion. Already looking at comparable lets for less nearby.

I think it feels steep because the rent hasn't increased in 3 years.
    I am also in a rent pressure zone, my rent increases once every 2 years by 8%.

If the rent is been raised it also needs to be comparable to similar let's in the same area. The landlord needs to give evidence to support this and also a registered mail notification to you the tenent. The notice period depends on how long you've been there. Its on the rtb site.

If the rent is been raised it also needs to be comparable to similar let's in the same area. The landlord needs to give evidence to support this and also a registered mail notification to you the tenent. The notice period depends on how long you've been there. Its on the rtb site.

Thanks for the reply. I’ll check that out.

Irish Aris wrote: »
    I think it feels steep because the rent hasn't increased in 3 years.
    I am also in a rent pressure zone, my rent increases once every 2 years by 8%.

That’s true. Luckily other options nearby for less if we can’t come to a compromise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 cosybeach

do you have a link that says it must be by registered mail.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

cosybeach wrote: »

It doesn’t need to be registered mail. I have physically gone to my tenants before to give it to them. If you think your tenant is going to try and pull a fast one and don’t trust them. It’s safer to do it this way.

cosybeach wrote: »

No i don't have a link. You need to be able you prove you sent it though. The tenant can say they never received it and it up to the landlord to prove they sent it. Has to be express post not registered. I've just gone through the whole process recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

You can probably thank all this talk of a rent freeze for causing LLs to spring into action. That or recouping of the money used to bring the place up to spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

You can probably thank all this talk of a rent freeze for causing LLs to spring into action. That or recouping of the money used to bring the place up to spec.

I recently increased rent for all my tenants as a result of FF supporting the bill. Now they are already back peddling but i hear talks of decreasing rental increase to a max of 2pc a year so ill leave the increases go through as protection.

Fol20 wrote: »
    I recently increased rent for all my tenants as a result of FF supporting the bill. Now they are already back peddling but i hear talks of decreasing rental increase to a max of 2pc a year so ill leave the increases go through as protection.

I am doing the same. I actually don't want to do it as my tenants are completely hassle free but because of the uncertainty around legislation and what the General Election might bring (no matter who gets in) rent freezing is on its way.

No i don't have a link. You need to be able you prove you sent it though. The tenant can say they never received it and it up to the landlord to prove they sent it. Has to be express post not registered. I've just gone through the whole process recently.

A certificate of posting should suffice. An Post can give you one of these when you buy a stamp in the post office and hand the letter to the post office clerk.

A certificate of posting should suffice. An Post can give you one of these when you buy a stamp in the post office and hand the letter to the post office clerk.

It should but it doesn't. Express post confirms that it was put in the letter box. If you send registered they can refuse to collect it.

It should but it doesn't. Express post confirms that it was put in the letter box. If you send registered they can refuse to collect it.

I have used a certificate of posting for legal cases I have taken and the Judge has accepted it as proof of delivery of legal papers for debt cases. But the op should do what they feel most comfortable doing.

• Advertisement

I have used a certificate of posting for legal cases I have taken and the Judge has accepted it as proof of delivery of legal papers for debt cases. But the op should do what they feel most comfortable doing.

Yes they should definitely do whatever they feel comfortable with. The rtb recommends express post only. But they are a bit šhite.

Advertisement