Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NCT discontinue lift inspections (now with places with working lifts)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Supposedly 8 lifts are back in operation. Anyone know where? Info isn't on the website.

I only found out on The Journal that my local one in Enniscorthy was back in action.
    They tried to charge me €28 for a retest when I went back and were told where to go.

Deansgrange
    Ballinasloe
    Athlone
    Skibbereen
    Ballina
    Enniscorthy

These were operating as of last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭elperello

silver2020 wrote: »
    pity you have the inability to read the newspapers or listen to radio or read their website. It states quite clearly that a small number of lifts are back working and priority is given to the motor trade and taxis. Maybe you didn't read past the first line?

Until the hairline crack was noticed in a lift in Northern Ireland last Nov, it had not been seen by anyone. It was initially thought to be safe to use until 20th January last when an independent insurance safety inspector deemed it unsafe and recommended that all lifts of this model not be used until,full safety audit undertaken

If you need to wait until an NCT test to find issues with your suspension, i advise you to understand that a car needs to be serviced regularly by a competent mechanic.

Maybe you would prefer an employee of an NCT centre be seriously injured or killed just so that you can get your suspension inspected an avoid having a competent mechanic service your car before such a test - that's effectively what you are looking to do.

I think this situation has been handled very badly by Applus, RSA and Department.

I don't particularly mind you and others equivocating on their behalf but what you said in the bolded part above is just not on.

Nobody here is wishing harm on anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,805 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Maybe you would prefer an employee of an NCT centre be seriously injured or killed just so that you can get your suspension inspected an avoid having a competent mechanic service your car before such a test - that's effectively what you are looking to do.

Isn't that what Applus Ireland had been doing all along?
    If the issue hadn't been raised in Northern Ireland would it have been spotted here?
    Seems like they got lucky.

So save your fire for the actual culpable people.
    The premise of your post is reprehensible, it's right up there with "have you stopped beating your wife" as a debating trick.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭youngblood

Anyone have a list of nct- centers with working lifts to fully complete NCT?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

NCTS said lifts would be replaced at eight centres – Galway, Waterford, Limerick, Letterkenny, Killarney, Cork, and in Swords and Fonthill in Dublin.
    Lifts were being replaced at six locations last week – Ballinasloe, Athlone, Skibbereen, Ballina, Enniscorthy and Deansgrange, south Dublin.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/lift-issue-fixed-in-further-eight-nct-centres-1.4161914

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

https://www.ncts.ie/1115
    This page has latest info on working lifts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

User1998 wrote: »
    But what if the painter told you beforehand that he could only paint half the wall, and told you he wasn’t sure when he could complete the work, and had it on his website and all over the internet that he can only paint half the wall, but you went ahead with it anyway and then complained about it

Whatever hope you have of getting past the Garda with a half test you'd have none if you didn't attend the test. They have people over a barrell, pay the E55 and keep using the car or chance losing car,5points and dirty big fine.Half test shouldn't have been charged for if they can't give you a date for completion of test.

pity you have the inability to read the newspapers or listen to radio or read their website. It states quite clearly that a small number of lifts are back working and priority is given to the motor trade and taxis. Maybe you didn't read past the first line?

Until the hairline crack was noticed in a lift in Northern Ireland last Nov, it had not been seen by anyone. It was initially thought to be safe to use until 20th January last when an independent insurance safety inspector deemed it unsafe and recommended that all lifts of this model not be used until,full safety audit undertaken

If you need to wait until an NCT test to find issues with your suspension, i advise you to understand that a car needs to be serviced regularly by a competent mechanic.

Not really the customers problem ,they have everyone's contact details , a text or e-mail would have sorted a lot of the problems but APPLUS expect everyone else to do their job for them.Garages have their equipment checked yearly for insurance ,do APPLUS have an exemption or are they uninsured?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

biko wrote: »
    https://www.ncts.ie/1115
    This page has latest info on working lifts.

It's not accurate though. Some people have got the test and others turned away from the same centres in that list. How can you plan around that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 117 ✭✭dkd21

Just I am interested to find responses . Have any posters on here currently in car test limbo contacted their insurance company about this issue only to which the reply was their policy is invalidated due to an incomplete test or even otherwise ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

kerryjack wrote: »
    Don't take it out on the guys on the ground, there only working lads like the rest of us. They look grumpy enough but they weren't always like that, its years of dealing with the public that made them like that.

They are the ones standing in front of you taking a wage from this employer - how it works in my job, if you have a customer facing role then the customer may complain. Yeah it's tough sometimes.
    I know when I am call 24/7 and taking calls at 2 3 4 in the morning I'd love a lower stress job like in a test centre. I have to study all this weekend on my own time for an exam next week and tbh don't want to be wasting hours preping for a useless test and making 2 journeys.

Well that's a bit rich when you couldn't even read my post, I never said I blew I said I NEARLY blew.
    Then you went off on some random personal trip about me abusing restaurant staff.
    I'm not a customer of the newspaper for NCT services, I use this NCT company. THEY have to inform me when they are rescheduling work they agreed to.
    I've demonstrated how this company have used my phone and email for communications and could easily have informed me - if they could be even half arsed. But no.... anyway I'm sure you will make excuses for that again.

Again, I have to question a business (whose half arsed practices you consistently defend) that has lads working under a lift that has not been properly tested or repaired. Probably for years.
    The NCT testers have to know there lives were being risked and am sure they can see it from a pissed off customers side too.
    Of course it's the company who are responsible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭honda boi

dkd21 wrote: »
    Just I am interested to find responses . Have any posters on here currently in car test limbo contacted their insurance company about this issue only to which the reply was their policy is invalidated due to an incomplete test or even otherwise ?

Bought a car last week from a dealer who had the car partially tested.
    Rang insurance to switch and told them the car hd only half the test done.
    They said that's fine and put a note on file about it.
    Said if it passed the lift test no point in informing them but if it failed we had to notify them( unsure why)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

It does not not state this.
    It states quite clearly that priority will be given to Taxis and Persons whose driving Test is due shortly.

"pity you have the inability to read, etc"......;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    It does not not state this.
    It states quite clearly that priority will be given to Taxis and Persons whose driving Test is due shortly.

"pity you have the inability to read, etc"......;)

You missed the memo. Trade was removed from their update conveniently.

It was there earlier.

The update stated that taxis, trade cars and driving test were given priority.

Trade was removed later. You don't want average Joe to know that the garage gets better treatment ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭Codpeas

Was booked in for Northpoint 1 this morning but they don't have working lifts. They transferred me over to Northpoint 2 which does have working lifts so full test in progress. :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Wonski, I missed nothing. A poster said that "it states quite clearly that priority will be given to trade cars Etc".
    The same poster then questioned people's ability to read???
    It doesn't mention the trade, and only did so for a few hours on 31/01.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    Wonski, I missed nothing. A poster said that "it states quite clearly that priority will be given to trade cars Etc".
    The same poster then questioned people's ability to read???
    It doesn't mention the trade, and only did so for a few hours on 31/01.

It did state quite clearly that motor trade would be prioritised.

Seems they changed it. (as you seem to accept)

Both Irish Times and Indo carried the press release.

My issue is with the "the world is ending" type comments from some people.

My issue is with the "the world is ending" type comments from some people.

Glass houses in fairness....
    ....Maybe you would prefer an employee of an NCT centre be seriously injured or killed just so that you can get your suspension inspected an avoid having a competent mechanic service your car before such a test - that's effectively what you are looking to do.

I think we can move on...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭greasepalm

What i detest is the amount of cars on the road with faulty lights for how long possible months and if things are that bad what about the rest of their unsafe cars with multiple issues and no engine oil in engine.As said get car looked at properly by a good mechanic so car is safe for the road and stop cursing the nct have ramp issues as more like user issues.

Can't be many ice cars with no oil in their engines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭vickers209

Done nct last sat in arklow passed all sections bar the lift not been completed.

Booked retest online for northpoint 2 last sunday for today chancing my arm based on comments here some people managed to get lift test done there,

I went to check in and handed the lady the test report from arklow she told me to wait for a minute and she went to check something with someone in back office,

came back took keys from me and said there was no charge.

car was passed and im happy for another year
    there was 3 lifts in operation in northpoint 2

I probably would have paid €28 just to get test over and done with,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Options for Limerick lift test are currently Little Island, Ballinasloe or Athlone. :-(
    Driving up to Athlone Wednesday night to get it done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

I got a phone call last Friday offering me a booking for next Sat in Little Island to complete the underbody test. Waiting and see now if it will be cancelled again or if its true

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭RioM

RioM wrote: »
    I just booked my retest online which is due before Feb 20th. The last time I phoned, they made a booking and it got cancelled by text that evening. I'll give it a few hours and might try phoning...

Phoned NCT and they cancelled my retest as Kilkenny is not back up and running. Nearest ones are Athlone or Enniscorthy..

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

it think its worth waiting till all NCT can be done in one go. If your NCT has expired between now and April, id be surprised if a Garda would take issue with it. Furthermore, even if the Garda took you to court, id say a judge would throw out the case. Its too Kafka to fine someone for something that the State cant provide (a new NCT cert) anyway. Constiutional justice, adminitrative law, and fair procedure doctrines.

Id say if you wait till after April, when the lifts are all back up and working you might not get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭uncle-mofo

Got waved through a Garda checkpoint no prob with my expired NCT this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭bladespin

Still not lifting in Kells this morning, was like a ghost town, wonder how many are not bothering with the lifts out.
    Passed all the checks anyway so happy enough until I listen to the boss moaning about another day lost wages etc for the retest.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

greasepalm wrote: »
    What i detest is the amount of cars on the road with faulty lights for how long possible months and if things are that bad what about the rest of their unsafe cars with multiple issues and no engine oil in engine.As said get car looked at properly by a good mechanic so car is safe for the road and stop cursing the nct have ramp issues as more like user issues.

One eyed monsters are annoying but the gist of the thread isn't really unsafe cars it's th a t people can't get their car tested which may impact on them if they are stopped by the Gardai or if they have a bump and the insurance company says "Meh!, not or problem".: a statement from the Department of Transport clarifying the position would be nice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I have kinda lost track of this.
    Personally i believe what is happening likely ILLEGAL?
    We are being asked to present our cars for a test and being told in advance we will "fail"
    Imagine presenting for job interview/exam and be told before you start you cannot get job/pass.
    I doubt if anyone will be prosecuted on this one...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

We are being asked to present our cars for a test and being told in advance we will "fail"
    Imagine presenting for job interview/exam and be told before you start you cannot get job/pass.

Interview is not the best example here tbh.

But I agree this is not handled very well now, and I was defending them earlier.

There doesn't seem to be good progress and the communication is rather poor.

It is however unusual situation so I have some understanding. What worries me is that the company does not take a financial hit on it by putting their hands up, but just keep going and charging customers for half arsed tests.

They operate as normal from financial point of view (talking applus here, not Maha)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,712 ✭✭✭Speak Now

RioM wrote: »
    Phoned NCT and they cancelled my retest as Kilkenny is not back up and running. Nearest ones are Athlone or Enniscorthy..

Did you try Waterford?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

I don't know how true this is but I heard of a lad today who passed the first part of the test ok in Carrick on Shannon but has been advised to try Athlone if he wants to complete the test and get the cert. If true, this is really daft and wrong.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    I don't know how true this is but I heard of a lad today who passed the first part of the test ok in Carrick on Shannon but has been advised to try Athlone if he wants to complete the test and get the cert. If true, this is really daft and wrong.

The whole situation is crazy, personally i think the Gardai, road safety and insurance companies are "winging it"

I am not sure that any insurance companies ask for NCT when applying for car insurance.
    As far as i know if a car is involved in an incident the Garda have it examined as to the road-worthiness at that given time, i may be wrong but i do not think NCTcert anything to do with this.

I do know that insurance is "void" on commercial if not in test, i think insurance companies may have access to this data but not sure.
    I remember a neighbor telling me he got insurance cancelled automatically when he was found out.
    What happened is he bought a jeep and transferred insurance and in s few days his insurance cancelled.
    He is a bit of a chancer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

You arent though. You are told that the test will be 'incomplete'. So test still in progress, even if that is for some months. Its neither a pass nor a fail.
    Apart from the annoyance of an additional visit to the centre (and for some this wont even be the case as they may fail something in the first part of the test that would have them returning anyway) nobody is going to get any grief out of this.
    The hysteria is way off the scale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,842 ✭✭✭✭kippy

You arent though. You are told that the test will be 'incomplete'. So test still in progress, even if that is for some months. Its neither a pass nor a fail.
    Apart from the annoyance of an additional visit to the centre (and for some this wont even be the case as they may fail something in the first part of the test that would have them returning anyway) nobody is going to get any grief out of this.

I had been defending the handling of the situation initially but a couple of weeks later with very little clarification or communication is farcical.
    There is plenty grief involved for people who fail something on the early part of the test. Go back for a retest and underbody test, then fail something on the underbody test and have to return again. 4 trips to the centre and a potential 55+28+28 euros in charges. Maybe not a big deal for some but.a bigger deal for those that do not live within a 15 minute spin of a centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭RioM

Speak Now wrote: »
    Did you try Waterford?

Nope. Is it running?

This is definition of test.

take measures to check the quality, performance, or reliability of (something), especially before putting it into widespread use or practice.

If this is the case it is certainly not a test, ( incomplete test is just that?)

The hysteria you mention is because of lack of clarity on this whole thing.
    It is now two weeks and surely a small percent of these lifts are not fit for purpose.
    I expect a few people will be resigning as this is a mess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

The whole situation is crazy, personally i think the Gardai, road safety and insurance companies are "winging it"

I am not sure that any insurance companies ask for NCT when applying for car insurance.

As far as i know if a car is involved in an incident the Garda have it examined as to the road-worthiness at that given time, i may be wrong but i do not think NCTcert anything to do with this.

I do know that insurance is "void" on commercial if not in test, i think insurance companies may have access to this data but not sure.
    I remember a neighbor telling me he got insurance cancelled automatically when he was found out.
    What happened is he bought a jeep and transferred insurance and in s few days his insurance cancelled.
    He is a bit of a chancer.

Definitely all winging it. Minister for transport should have put a statutory instrument in place to either extend current test certificates (as in Northern Ireland) or issue temporary test certificates for partially completed tests.

Despite reassurances from insurance industry representatives that it wouldn't be a problem , not being able to present a current test certificate is a problem for the OP in this thread https://touch.boards.ie/thread/post/112570148

Cowboys Ted! They're a bunch of cowboys!

Hate to be pedantic but it's says fail on it.

Hyperbole much? There is no hysteria.

It's simply very unprofessional to have zero communication or clarification about something that is a legal requirement. Both the NCT and Insurance.

That people can rebook a retest and be turned away on the day shows its mismanaged. All they have to do is match the centers with working lifts to those requiring that part of the test. Those that have passed the lift part but need to retest on something else send them to the centers with no working lifts.

This is shape sorting test that you give babies.

If anyone criticises this farce, they are accused of hysteria.

I expect a few people will be resigning as this is a mess.

...or promoted with a bonus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭coffeepls

I did my NCT last Friday (Feb 14) in Naas - no lift.
    I passed everything that could be passed.
    The test read out was titled ‘NCT Report: TEST INCOMPLETE’
    Just below that header is
    ‘a retest must be completed by 15/03/2020 if not then a full test will be required’

See attached for the accompanying ‘explanatory’ leaflet to the test. I dunno. It concerns me that there’s a specific date to be retested by on one official page and then the words ‘later date’ on the attached sheet. Surely they could’ve left that retest date out.
    Anyway - I’m really just posting this if anybody is interested in reading the attached.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

This situation is unacceptable, they've taken full amount for a half test (with 28 days to retest) and best case scenario expect you to finish the test in another centre which could be hours away.its bloody crazy. The retest time limit should be open until these centres are fully operational.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Macdarack wrote: »
    This situation is unacceptable, they've taken full amount for a half test (with 28 days to retest) and best case scenario expect you to finish the test in another centre which could be hours away.its bloody crazy. The retest time limit should be open until these centres are fully operational.
    If I was charged more to complete the test, whether just the underbody inspection or full retest if it's needed if the underbody inspection cannot be given within 28 days, I'd be claiming a SEPA charge back for the original test fee as they didn't provide the service paid for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭bladespin

I called them yesterday to arrange the lift inspection, was told no date for Kells to be operational yet (I suggested another centre but nothing was forthcoming), was told to call back to check progress, am I being a bit tetchy or should they be the ones chasing and calling not us????

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭robfowler78

bladespin wrote: »
    I called them yesterday to arrange the lift inspection, was told no date for Kells to be operational yet (I suggested another centre but nothing was forthcoming), was told to call back to check progress, am I being a bit tetchy or should they be the ones chasing and calling not us????

Yeah I'm the same have a retest in Kells and need to use a lane booked in for the end of the month. Still no lift and no sign of it been fixed. I was told Ill have to comeback for a third time but to keep ringing to check lift progress. Madness

bladespin wrote: »
    ... was told to call back to check progress, am I being a bit tetchy or should they be the ones chasing and calling not us????

They should tell us when it's fixed in what centre on the website.

They could also just email people. They could even ask people what times suit and let the system schedule the appointments as appropriate.

But instead we have zilch.

coffeepls wrote: »
    I did my NCT last Friday (Feb 14) in Naas - no lift.
    I passed everything that could be passed.
    The test read out was titled ‘NCT Report: TEST INCOMPLETE’
    Just below that header is
    ‘a retest must be completed by 15/03/2020 if not then a full test will be required’

See attached for the accompanying ‘explanatory’ leaflet to the test. I dunno. It concerns me that there’s a specific date to be retested by on one official page and then the words ‘later date’ on the attached sheet. Surely they could’ve left that retest date out.
    Anyway - I’m really just posting this if anybody is interested in reading the attached.

I think you should call NCT head office.

I suspect what happened here is you are given re-test as there usually time frame with this.
    It could just that the person hit the wrong entry before printing.
    Let us know the result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Dropped my car into my local garage 10 days ago, before i went on holidays to get it ready for NCT and he usually brings it in and gets it done for me but told me today he stiull hasnt got a date as there are major back logs over some dispute :confused: Whats the story does anyone know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The MAHA lifts that they use have a question mark over their safety because the testing service in NI also use MAHA lifts (different model) and there were cracks in the lifts.
    The NCT lifts aren’t being used in the meantime until they’ve been inspected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The MAHA lifts that they use have a question mark over their safety because the testing service in NI also use MAHA lifts (different model) and there were cracks in the lifts.
    The NCT lifts aren’t being used in the meantime until they’ve been inspected.

Ok thanks, mine runs out next week, techincially i could be done for having no valid NCT cert??

• Advertisement
Advertisement