Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NCT discontinue lift inspections (now with places with working lifts)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

jprboy wrote: »
    This is an excerpt from the update to the NCTS website on Feb 26:

If your test was done in full before the problem with the lifts arose (on or before 29th January), and you are unable to return for a retest within the required 30-days, because there is a problem with the car lifts in your local NCT centre, please note the following; While you normally need to get your retest done within 30-days, you don’t need to do so in the current situation. The NCTS will contact you directly when we are able to retest your car. When we do we will put your car through a FULL test again before we issue you an NCT certificate. We are doing this because your original test has gone past 30 days. You will not be charged for this full test, you will only be charged what you expected to pay, which is, the normal retest cost.

Except if you ring them, they tell you to ring back. Which contracts this above.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Turo

I just booked a retest in Limerick. They didn't do the underbody in Nenagh because of the lifts. And I also failed at dip beam on one side as it was out of focus... So they have to use an equipment for this so have to pay €28. Let's hope the underbody will be ok as I'm wondering what will happen if not, will I have to pay for another retest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Are the lifts still down in Naas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭imonboard

Are the lifts working in North point 1?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭honda boi

My reading of that is.
    Ok we'll test half your car now. And give you a piece of paper basically worth nothing.
    But our lifts won't be ready for months .
    Come back when the lifts are working and we'll do a whole test again.
    Wth is that about?
    Surely the test should be only the lift.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭User1998

imonboard wrote: »
    Are the lifts working in North point 1?

Working in Northpoint 2

User1998 wrote: »
    Working in Northpoint 2
    I booked into northpoint 1 for my retest, does this mean I will just have to get my retest and then go back again for the lift?

I booked into northpoint 1 for my retest, does this mean I will just have to get my retest and then go back again for the lift?

No idea. I been trying to book 2 and its not available when I've tried.

We should not have to rely on this forum to find these things out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭User1998

I booked Northpoint 2 and got a full test but I think if you book Northpoint 1 they’ll send you to Northpoint 2 to do the lift part of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Xcellor wrote: »
    They should be just testing what they didn't do the first time around this 30 day rule is nonsense to start with... This is the last thing they should be doing with a backlog. :confused::confused:
    honda boi wrote: »
    My reading of that is.
    Ok we'll test half your car now. And give you a piece of paper basically worth nothing.
    But our lifts won't be ready for months .
    Come back when the lifts are working and we'll do a whole test again.
    Wth is that about?
    Surely the test should be only the lift.

Incorrect interpretation.

It clearly says that if you failed BEFORE the lift issue (eg, you had the underbody inspection and test was completed fully) and there was a fail on that - you do not have to adhere to the 30 day rule and the time has been extended. But they will do a full retest including the item you failed on and just charge the retest fee.

So this only applies to those tested and had a fail BEFORE the lift issue arose.

And as for the "months" exaggerated comment. Its 4 weeks for most lifts to be operational

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭jmreire

Friend of mine took his car to an NCT Centre in Limerick 3 week's ago, only did the floor part of the test, and failed that part because the one headlight was too high. Got it fixed and got a new test date for a Sunday. 10 days later..took it in, lift part done, and passed for another year.

Turo wrote: »
    I just booked a retest in Limerick. They didn't do the underbody in Nenagh because of the lifts. And I also failed at dip beam on one side as it was out of focus... So they have to use an equipment for this so have to pay €28. Let's hope the underbody will be ok as I'm wondering what will happen if not, will I have to pay for another retest?
    This just happened me, I now failed the lift test and was told il have to pay another 28. If they done the full test the first time I would have only one retest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

silver2020 wrote: »
    Incorrect interpretation.

It clearly says that if you failed BEFORE the lift issue (eg, you had the underbody inspection and test was completed fully) and there was a fail on that - you do not have to adhere to the 30 day rule and the time has been extended. But they will do a full retest including the item you failed on and just charge the retest fee.

So this only applies to those tested and had a fail BEFORE the lift issue arose.

And as for the "months" exaggerated comment. Its 4 weeks for most lifts to be operational

More like 8 weeks. It will be the end of April before all lanes are operational and then there will be the backlog to work through.

According to the NCTS website as of 26th Feb. 20% were operational. The plan is to have 50% operational by the end of March and 100% by the end of April.

If test centres have to be closed down for two days to install or repair lifts this is only going to add to the backlog.

I can easily see it being the end of June before things are back to normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Pops_20

Anyone know if the lifts are working in Cork Blarney centre? My test is due soon. Might consider little island if the lifts are operational.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Turo

This just happened me, I now failed the lift test and was told il have to pay another 28. If they done the full test the first time I would have only one retest.

This is total bull****... They should pay for it themselves. It's not our fault the lifts are bad. If it happens to me I will try to report it somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭greasepalm

True but it would still be a 28euro retest.

First day I went in and failed with light out of focus, they did not put it up on the lift, even though lift was working in Fonthill.
    I went back for re inspection of the light and the lift inspection. I paid my 28 for the retest.
    It failed the lift this time. Now I have to go back again and pay another 28 for the retest. These should have all been spotted on the first inspection normally, therefore 1 retest ,28 euro.

First day I went in and failed with light out of focus, they did not put it up on the lift, even though lift was working in Fonthill.
    I went back for re inspection of the light and the lift inspection. I paid my 28 for the retest.
    It failed the lift this time. Now I have to go back again and pay another 28 for the retest. These should have all been spotted on the first inspection normally, therefore 1 retest ,28 euro.

The way it works 28E for lane retest.

Lift inspection would have been free if headlights were ok.

You failed on an item during the lift test and will need to pay another 28E as it requires a test lane.It sucks i know.

greasepalm wrote: »
    The way it works 28E for lane retest.

Lift inspection would have been free if headlights were ok.

You failed on an item during the lift test and will need to pay another 28E as it requires a test lane.It sucks i know.
    I disagree, if they done the full test I would only have to return once.

• Advertisement

IF but like many thousands have no control over lift bans,you were just unlucky to have it at this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 117 ✭✭dkd21

If you had an incomplete test carried out you do not have to pay any lift failure retest fees . It will state €28 at the top of the page obviously due to the software can't be changed to accommodate the situation , but you don't pay this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

The following is a summary of offences detected.

GARDA-
    • 2 Drivers arrested for Drug Driving.
    • A total of 255 Drivers Tested for Alcohol/Drugs.
    • 1 Disqualified Driver Detected on Mobility Device arrested and charged
    • 7 vehicles impounded under Section 41 Road Traffic Act – No Insurance/CRW/Tax/Clancy Amendment.
    • 26 FCPN issued for offences / Worn Tyres/Tax/NCT/Unaccompanied Learner Drivers.
    • 6 other offences to be dealt with by Court Summons/ No Insurance/CRW.

https://www.leinsterleader.ie/news/home/521644/vehicles-seized-from-drivers-at-major-kildare-garda-checkpoint.html?fbclid=IwAR11dJ-iUQ5XuBsnjFVKUJOz6Wn3ytH-t-r60BKowGrZYGrRrWZGBXdEIlk

Hmmmmm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

GARDA-
    • 7 vehicles impounded under Section 41 Road Traffic Act – No Insurance/CRW/Tax/Clancy Amendment.
    • 26 FCPN issued for offences / Worn Tyres/Tax/NCT/Unaccompanied Learner Drivers.

https://www.leinsterleader.ie/news/home/521644/vehicles-seized-from-drivers-at-major-kildare-garda-checkpoint.html?fbclid=IwAR11dJ-iUQ5XuBsnjFVKUJOz6Wn3ytH-t-r60BKowGrZYGrRrWZGBXdEIlk

Hmmmmm

It would be interesting to see a breakdown (no pun intended) of the NCT FCPNs.

I'd hazard a guess that they were where NCT expiry pre-dated the current fiasco and no booking existed.

GARDA-

://www.leinsterleader.ie/news/home/521644/vehicles-seized-from-drivers-at-major-kildare-garda-checkpoint.html?fbclid=IwAR11dJ-iUQ5XuBsnjFVKUJOz6Wn3ytH-t-r60BKowGrZYGrRrWZGBXdEIlk

Hmmmmm

Impossible to say with so many cars
    Worn tyres -are they that badbiggrin.png
    Sure its only a few months out of taxmad.png
    But i have my nct from 2 years agotongue.png
    Blow up doll remained quiet during questioningrolleyes.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Ceka20

Seven people dead on our roads in a single weekend and the RSA is playing along with having thousands of potentially unsafe vehicles on our roads rather that put to Applus that it has to go.

• Advertisement

Ceka20 wrote: »
    Seven people dead on our roads in a single weekend and the RSA is playing along with having thousands of potentially unsafe vehicles on our roads rather that put to Applus that it has to go.

Here's some reading form you
    https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/turning-straw-gold/201711/how-put-stop-catastrophic-thinking

Currently I have been to the NCT centre twice, still have no NCT, and can't book any centre in Dublin. Just get asked to ring back on the phone.

Oddly enough I can book a NCT in very distant counties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Pops_20 wrote: »
    Anyone know if the lifts are working in Cork Blarney centre?

AFAIK, no. Little Island is so backed up they wouldn't give me an appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭uncle-mofo

Are the lifts working in Galway or Ballinasloe yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 614 ✭✭✭aido76

I have read a good bit of this tread but not all.
    My wife put her car through the test before the lift issue. She failed on suspension issues, got the issues fixed and then the lift issue happened. Couldn't book a retest over the past few weeks, her insurance is now due for renewal and she got a favourable renewal through a different company from the one she is currently with, however one of the requirements for the insurance is a valid NCT.
    She rang the NCT and was talking to an operator and told her about her situation. She was able to book in a centre that is further away from us at the weekend (not a big issue for us) but she was told as the 28 days have lapsed since the original test, she will need to undertake the full test again but only pay for the retest. Anyone know if this should be the case? My understanding was that she would only have to get the retest issues tested as the lapse of time was not her fault and actually had a retest booked prior to the lift issue but it was cancelled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

aido76 wrote: »
    I have read a good bit of this tread but not all.
    My wife put her car through the test before the lift issue. She failed on suspension issues, got the issues fixed and then the lift issue happened. Couldn't book a retest over the past few weeks, her insurance is now due for renewal and she got a favourable renewal through a different company from the one she is currently with, however one of the requirements for the insurance is a valid NCT.
    She rang the NCT and was talking to an operator and told her about her situation. She was able to book in a centre that is further away from us at the weekend (not a big issue for us) but she was told as the 28 days have lapsed since the original test, she will need to undertake the full test again but only pay for the retest. Anyone know if this should be the case? My understanding was that she would only have to get the retest issues tested as the lapse of time was not her fault and actually had a retest booked prior to the lift issue but it was cancelled.

If you have proof of booking the retest and they cancelling it get back onto them and look for a supervisor. You should not have to pay for a full test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭dmc17

uncle-mofo wrote: »
    Are the lifts working in Galway or Ballinasloe yet?

They're working in Ballinasloe and Galway it appears according to RTE article which puts Limerick in Cork :D
    Last week, eight lifts were given a green light to continue testing in Cork (Little Island, Limerick, Northpoint), Swords and Fonthill in Dublin, Galway, Letterkenny, Waterford and Killarney.

These are separate to the six centres previously cleared for use in Deansgrange, Ballinasloe, Athlone, Skibbereen, Ballina and Enniscorthy.

elperello wrote: »
    If you have proof of booking the retest and they cancelling it get back onto them and look for a supervisor. You should not have to pay for a full test.

That was my thinking also....

That was my thinking also....
    You stated that they told you that in your post and they are quite clear on that in their statement online

So you will only pay the €28 retest fee, but the car will undergo a full test as the previous test items are out of date by over 30 days and as it was not your fault, just the €28 is charged.

Hopefully the nct cert will commence from the date of the retest :)

Anyone know what the story is with Waterford? I've tried to organise a retest online but there's no dates showing up?

Is there that much of a backlog?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭VeVeX

Since the ramps have been condemned im seeing an inordinately high amount of headlight alignment failures whereby the beam is said to be low. The incidence of cars failing solely on low light alignment is extraordinary. There’s grounds for a thread in the conspiracy theory forum.

Don't have to pay for the full test, just pay for retest but the car will have to go thru a full test....

You stated that they told you that in your post and they are quite clear on that in their statement online

So you will only pay the €28 retest fee, but the car will undergo a full test as the previous test items are out of date by over 30 days and as it was not your fault, just the €28 is charged.

Hopefully the nct cert will commence from the date of the retest :)

Ya, she won't pay for full test but the car will have to go though a full test which I think is wrong as it wasn't her fault the retest could not be completed with in the time frame. The car should be fine but she has to jump thru hoops, go to a different test centre further away and redo the whole test again. And she telling me now that there is no guarantee they will do the test on the lift as the car is not a taxi or being used in a driving test. I the car fails for something that passed originally she will have to pay for another retest I would imagine, even though that item would not have been rechecked if the retest was done on time. Others here have said they got a notice that their date for the retest was extended. She didn't get that notice. She is going to ring and see can she talk to someone higher up.

VeVeX wrote: »
    Since the ramps have been condemned im seeing an inordinately high amount of headlight alignment failures whereby the beam is said to be low. The incidence of cars failing solely on low light alignment is extraordinary. There’s grounds for a thread in the conspiracy theory forum.

I was told they changed it last year and that if a beam that is too low also fails - previously they only tested for high beams.

I was told they changed it last year and that if a beam that is too low also fails - previously they only tested for high beams.

Thats correct , the new MAHA MLT3000 headlight tester which has only been installed over the last few months will now fail for too low

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Psychedelic Hedgehog

dkd21 wrote: »
    the new MAHA MLT3000 headlight tester

Will these need to be checked for cracks too, as they age? :)

Will these need to be checked for cracks too, as they age? :)

Nono these are the upgraded models :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Tow

The NCT are now writing out to customers to cancel tests.

504523.jpg

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Anyone know what the story is with Waterford? I've tried to organise a retest online but there's no dates showing up?

Is there that much of a backlog?

Yep I’d say so. I had the test on Saturday, got incomplete test as they didn’t use the lift on mine. Was told to ring the call centre to arrange the lift test , did that today and they said they’ve no appointments to give for Waterford at the moment and I’d have to ring another time. They weren’t very helpful!
    There was one lift working when I was there on Saturday and some cars using it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Tow wrote: »
    The NCT are now writing out to customers to cancel tests.

504523.jpg

They have a neck like a jockeys bollix. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

my NCT has expired - I have a conditional pass cert but my insurance are refusing to quote for cover as my nct has expired. Obviously I need the car. Old car so dont have the option of shopping around. Want to be legal but what to do.Advice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

Have the car repaired
    Pass NCT without conditions.
    Obtain insurance.

Very simple, in fact so obvious that I think I'm missing something here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Very simple, in fact so obvious that I think I'm missing something here?

Clearly you are. NCT are only giving provisional passes as their car lifts are busted. I'm pretty sure there is a thread around here somewhere about it......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,797 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Anyone know the status of lifts in Galway City or Ballinasloe?
    Seeing as they don't seem to answer their call centre number and there's very little Comms out there on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

^^^OK. Try taking it to a centre that has working lifts.

Advertisement