Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NCT discontinue lift inspections (now with places with working lifts)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 269 ✭✭thadg

^^^OK. Try taking it to a centre that has working lifts.

maybe you could recommend one in the country for the OP.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

thadg wrote: »

maybe you could recommend one in the country for the OP.....

No NCT centers have working lifts and no sign of a end to when they will become available - then first in wait with a conditional cert will get first callback on available appointments -I’m so down the pecking order it could well be 6 or 8 months before I get a valid cert. In the meantime my insurance is due and I can’t get a quote without a valid NCT . I don’t want to buy one from a prince off the internet - if there is a thread maybe someone could link but I couldnt find one. In the meantime ..help!!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 269 ✭✭thadg

Are you trying to get a quote online or are you ringing the insurance companies for a quote?
    The date expiry for your NCT will be the same date for every year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭greasepalm

You said old car as how old?
    Sounds strange to me nct is out and insurance is due for both coming at the same time.
    Older cars are getting harder to insure now as they only want newer models.
    The ramp test as said can be a wait but would ask have you had the car into local garage for a look underneath to see if all is good and no surprises when getting into the nct for their check.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 A40D

Letterkenny in Donegal has working lifts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭paulpd

No NCT centers have working lifts and no sign of a end to when they will

I had my NCT in Fonthill 20th Feb and they had 3 lifts working. Got the full test done that night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,044 ✭✭✭con747

my NCT has expired - I have a conditional pass cert but my insurance are refusing to quote for cover as my nct has expired. Obviously I need the car. Old car so dont have the option of shopping around. Want to be legal but what to do.Advice?

Insurance Ireland, the body that represents almost 130 companies providing insurance domestically in Ireland and internationally from Ireland, said that the situation will not affect motorists cover.
    “In relation to the current issue with car lift equipment used in the National Car Test (NCT) which is resulting in motorists being unable to fully complete their NCT and receive an up to date certificate, Insurance Ireland would like to reassure the public that this will not impact their motor insurance and Insurance Ireland members will be pragmatic and understanding in their approach to this issue,”

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭paulpd

I had my NCT in Fonthill 20th Feb and they had 3 lifts working. Got the full test done that night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

paulpd wrote: »

Thank you so much - Ill give them a ring tomorrow. (Letterkenny is a bit far!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

con747 wrote: »
    Insurance Ireland, the body that represents almost 130 companies providing insurance domestically in Ireland and internationally from Ireland, said that the situation will not affect motorists cover.
    “In relation to the current issue with car lift equipment used in the National Car Test (NCT) which is resulting in motorists being unable to fully complete their NCT and receive an up to date certificate, Insurance Ireland would like to reassure the public that this will not impact their motor insurance and Insurance Ireland members will be pragmatic and understanding in their approach to this issue,”

There's not much pragmatism that the insurance companies can do though. Your car isn't legally allowed on the road without a valid NCT and a conditional pass isn't a valid NCT, unless the law is changed a lot more people are going to have the same problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

greasepalm wrote: »
    You said old car as how old?
    Sounds strange to me nct is out and insurance is due for both coming at the same time.

What is strange about this?

I have similar situation at the end of March... Already got new policy anyway, though.

Older cars are tested yearly and insured cars are insured for a year, too so there are chances some drivers might face that issue.

Let me mention that my tax is also up in March. How strange ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

"Insurance Ireland would like to reassure the public that this will not impact their motor insurance and Insurance Ireland members will be pragmatic and understanding in their approach to this issue"

https://www.insuranceireland.eu/news-and-publications/news-press-release/statement-from-insurance-ireland-regarding-ncts-announcement-of-a-temporary-discontinuance-of-elements-of-the-nct-test

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Below is a list of Centres that can complete the full test.

https://www.ncts.ie/1115

- Cork (Little Island)
    - Limerick
    - Northpoint, Swords, Co. Dublin
    - Fonthill, Dublin 22
    - Galway
    - Letterkenny
    - Waterford
    - Killarney
    - Deansgrange (South Dublin)
    - Ballinasloe
    - Athlone
    - Skibbereen
    - Ballina
    - Enniscorthy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Called today to see what the story was, lady said if I wanted the lift part done I'd have to go to another centre, I asked would I be charged again and she seemed unsure, Asked if they'd text me when my local centre was up and running, didn't know,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

It would be great if ncts could have a big list on their Web page with a lift status for each centre and booking advice.

Latest advice was to ring back in 2 weeks as they may have more info then.

Comms are really bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

What Comms?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Buffman

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    Are the lifts still down in Naas?

Loads of appointment slots available online for Naas, as in it looks like nobody is bothering to book there at all, so I'd guess they have no lifts.
    beauf wrote: »
    What Comms?

Communications.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles or cartons to avoid the DRS fee.

Buffman wrote: »
    Communications.

You need to explain that to the NCT people not me. Since they've never heard of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

beauf wrote: »
    You need to explain that to the NCT people not me. Since they've never heard of it.

Last update on 26 Feb. And only offered explanation of 30 day retest being extended.

The previous one on 14th.

Poor.

Mine is up next month, butt won't even bother unless they are actually testing cars.

At present they don't meet any testing regulation. Not sure if we are in any way compliant with EU regulations tbh. But maybe this one is not as regulated as other industries.

It is definitely not suitable for testing road worthiness of cars in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

Daughter got a date for the lift test this morning for this day week in Little Island. Loads of times and dates available as she was given a great choice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭tscul32

Northpoint didn't do the full test for me last Saturday. Not that it mattered as it failed a couple of things and is now going to be scrapped instead. For the record, I got a nice quote online, no bother, from Aviva last year for a 14 year old car, over €100 cheaper than my renewal was. And it came down another €60 this year even though car is now 15 years old. Won't see 16 though ☹

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Have the car repaired
    Pass NCT without conditions.
    Obtain insurance.

Very simple, in fact so obvious that I think I'm missing something here?

Maybe you could repair the item that is not broken ???:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭Kealyboy

My car is due an NCT on the 27th March. Im from Kilkenny and the inspection lifts wont be back in operation until the end of April. Would I be better off in getting half the test done now and the other half when the lifts are back in operation at the end of April? Or just wait until the end of April to get the full test done in one go? The car was just serviced and is ready to be tested now.

What would happen if I get stopped in the meantime by the guards with no NCT... could I get a fine + penalty points.

I could travel to Waterford and get the full test now if I wanted either but that is a bit out of my way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,518 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Kealyboy wrote: »
    What would happen if I get stopped in the meantime by the guards with no NCT... could I get a fine + penalty points.
    Do it now.

With an 'incomplete' cert you will be fine at a checkpoint. With no cert, you will most probably be penalised. Car gets seized too.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭popa smurf

Tried booking a test online today for castlerea worked allway up to card payment and you entre card payment and than press pay now and than
    it draws a blank. A pain in the behind so it is.

My car is due an NCT on the 27th March. Im from Kilkenny and the inspection lifts wont be back in operation until the end of April. Would I be better off in getting half the test done now and the other half when the lifts are back in operation at the end of April? Or just wait until the end of April to get the full test done in one go? The car was just serviced and is ready to be tested now.

I could travel to Waterford and get the full test now if I wanted either but that is a bit out of my way.

You won't get an appointment in Waterford until God knows when.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭sillysocks

You won't get an appointment in Waterford until God knows when.

Also Waterford is on the list as being able to complete the full test but as of last weekend only one lane had a lift working and not all tests are on that lane. So I had my test on Saturday but still will have to go back for another one for the lift section.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Dazza123

Thoughts on buying a used car that’s just been through the test and passed all Barr the lift test? Looking at a 2011 X5 which lets be honest can be prone to issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭marcos_94

Dazza123 wrote: »
    Thoughts on buying a used car that’s just been through the test and passed all Barr the lift test? Looking at a 2011 X5 which lets be honest can be prone to issues.

If its from a garage id be asking them to stand over any costs if it doesnt pass the NCT. Regardless of NCT though, Id be getting the car checked out by a BMW mechanic as they would know what to look out for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

marcos_94 wrote: »
    If its from a garage id be asking them to stand over any costs if it doesnt pass the NCT. Regardless of NCT though, Id be getting the car checked out by a BMW mechanic as they would know what to look out for
    And I'd make sure to get this in writing. It could be a problem though as they would have no control over what happens once you drive it out the door. Would they hold it until they can get it NCTed, even if it means them bringing it to a more distant centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Neilw

I had an incomplete test yesterday in Northpoint 1, was told Northpoint 2 have working lifts.

The car passed everything and I was told I would be contacted with a lift test date, how likely is this to happen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

Wonder if anyone can answer this?
    Car passed NCT with the exception of the lift test in January.
    Bought another car last month and have a private sale (within the family) arranged.
    If the change of ownership was completed can the new owner complete the test at no cost, given I've paid in full?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Not guaranteed, only one lift in Waterford

Wonder if anyone can answer this?
    Car passed NCT with the exception of the lift test in January.
    Bought another car last month and have a private sale (within the family) arranged.
    If the change of ownership was completed can the new owner complete the test at no cost, given I've paid in full?

Interesting scenario as its the car that is getting tested and not the owner so would think as it was paid for it should be free,but bring nct form and identification papers incase of issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

elfy4eva wrote: »
    I've a pain in my hole with this aswell. My missus is due to sit her Driving test on 18 Mar have the incomplete test done in our local centre. The RSA won't let you sit the test without complete NCT cert. Can't get a new booking in a centre that can do the lift test before her driving test date. Have called them up and they're going to see what they can do but it's an absolute clusterfcuk.

Just to follow up on this had the lift test done in Galway last night and passed not a bother thank fcuk, we were eventually prioritised on it due to her being due the Driving test but it was a load of rigmarole dealing with their phone staff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Cona

I made a big mistake brought my car to the NCT and there was no lift test. Failed due to imbalance which means I need to replace my front shocks. It’s an old car so I half expected this but the Problem is, I need to do this before they will test the car on the lift. At that point, if it fails on something else I will then need to go back to garage again and then retest.
    Very frustrating.

I am thinking to rebook a new year at a center with a lift before replacing the front shocks?
    Any advice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 117 ✭✭dkd21

Cona wrote: »
    I made a big mistake brought my car to the NCT and there was no lift test. Failed due to imbalance which means I need to replace my front shocks. It’s an old car so I half expected this but the Problem is, I need to do this before they will test the car on the lift. At that point, if it fails on something else I will then need to go back to garage again and then retest.
    Very frustrating.

I am thinking to rebook a new year at a center with a lift before replacing the front shocks?
    Any advice

Why not get any competent mechanic or garage that knows the NCT rules to check the car out whilst its in getting the front shocks done.. :confused:

Be aware front shocks if gone will have an impact on road contact and may be give the car a giddy ride.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭sporina

had my NCT today - ramp test outstanding as its not operating - is there any way of knowing what centres have lifts working - not working?
    I wudda chosen more carefully had i known - a pain to have to go back again - and now I still have no cert - even though my car has passed all other criteria

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Cona wrote: »
    Very frustrating.

Any advice

That would just pass you the underbody, but they'd still fail you for the shocks.

Replace the shocks, and do the underbody and shocks in one visit.

Bear in mind though, your car is currently a Fail so isn't supposed to be driven on the road...........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

I think it would reasonable to carry the receipt for repairs from a garage or mechanic for any items listed on the NCT that have been fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Turo

Had a re test yesterday in Limerick. They checked the dip beam, as it was out of focus previously. And they did the lift part. Went through with no problem. And also, they didn't charge me for this although it said on the re test sheet €28 fee. But I think he didn't look at the sheet because he went straight for the lift part, but realized he had to do the lights, so he reversed the car.

Anyway, I have NCT for 2 years and I'm happy for it :D

Good luck for the rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Was at a centre yesterday for the lift. No notices or any protections for Covid 19 anywhere. Close the places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Water John wrote: »
    Was at a centre yesterday for the lift. No notices or any protections for Covid 19 anywhere. Close the places.

I was in dunnes stores earlier, no hand sanitiser on the way in. Should they also close the supermarkets. I used my own hand sanitiser on the way in and after coming out btw. It’s called personal responsibility.

Dunnes in Cork have hand sanitisers at the door. Our local garage shop has as well.

... btw. It’s called personal responsibility.

Sounds more like gloating you've got hand sanitizer...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭cnoc

My son's car passed the initial tests recently and has to go back for the under body test. Can he get the Lift test in a different test centre where the under body test is now operating?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 614 ✭✭✭aido76

Turo wrote: »
    Had a re test yesterday in Limerick. They checked the dip beam, as it was out of focus previously. And they did the lift part. Went through with no problem. And also, they didn't charge me for this although it said on the re test sheet €28 fee. But I think he didn't look at the sheet because he went straight for the lift part, but realized he had to do the lights, so he reversed the car.

Anyway, I have NCT for 2 years and I'm happy for it :D

Good luck for the rest.

Was the retest within the 30 days of the initial test?

Yes you can, within the 28 days that Aido mentions in their question. It's what I was doing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement