Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NCT discontinue lift inspections (now with places with working lifts)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Headed down to Enniscorthy for the NCT. Test centre were so pleasant to deal with, unlike Deansgrange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

I have the half test valid till tomorrow, not getting into Deangrange before next month

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭sporina

i thought i heard on Fri that test centres wer closing till end of March?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭McCrack

I was in dunnes stores earlier, no hand sanitiser on the way in. Should they also close the supermarkets. I used my own hand sanitiser on the way in and after coming out btw. It’s called personal responsibility.

Unfortunately society needs to protect morons from themselves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The NCT website being down for the last couple of days doesn't help anyone at all looking for updates.

cnoc wrote: »
    My son's car passed the initial tests recently and has to go back for the under body test. Can he get the Lift test in a different test centre where the under body test is now operating?

Yep, you can book in to any test centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Cona

Anyone know How long has the nct website been down? I have to go back for a retest but can’t book...should I ring them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

Cona wrote: »
    Anyone know How long has the nct website been down? I have to go back for a retest but can’t book...should I ring them?

It was down this afternoon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Technical Upgrades
    The NCT Website is presently going through some technical upgrades and will be back shortly. Please try again later. Thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Turo

aido76 wrote: »
    Was the retest within the 30 days of the initial test?

Yes it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Tow

It looks as if the NCT has shut up shop. I am sure I'll get yet another cancellation letter from them in a week or so.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 117 ✭✭dkd21

Tow wrote: »
    It looks as if the NCT has shut up shop. I am sure I'll get yet another cancellation letter from them in a week or so.

The website / IT systems were under maintenance for the the 16th and 17th . Website is now live again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭jprboy

Tow wrote: »
    dkd21 wrote: »
    The website / IT systems were under maintenance for the the 16th and 17th . Website is now live again

While the website is back up the following link directs you to the Applus Careers page:

"If you are waiting to undergo a NCTS lift inspection or require an NCTS update on COVID 19, please click here for more information"

No info anywhere on the site (that I can find anyway) about the NCTS lift inspection or COVID 19.

While they haven't shut up shop yet I reckon it will happen very shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭jprboy

^^^^^^^^^^^^

Actually found where the info is. You need to choose "Contact us" and then choose the "underbody inspection" or "here" links.

Doesn't appear to be any new info though.

As I said they'll probably shortly be ceasing all testing anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

My nct is up next week.

Given the circumstances I won't even bother with booking.

No point.

I doubt I will get in any trouble for that. Bigger things to worry about now anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bif

Folks,
    Car was NCT'd recently and now requires some work and a retest. I have no issue with this and genuinely believe the NCT process has improved the maintenance and safety of the national car fleet over the years. However I have a huge issue with the increased CoVid-19 risk that having the garage who will work on the car and the guys doing the retest entails for my family. Am I overreacting. Which is the greater risk - not doing the NCT or doing the NCT?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 117 ✭✭dkd21

Personally I would go ahead but disinfect all the normal touch points before and after its worked on and tested .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 614 ✭✭✭aido76

aido76 wrote: »
    I have read a good bit of this tread but not all.
    My wife put her car through the test before the lift issue. She failed on suspension issues, got the issues fixed and then the lift issue happened. Couldn't book a retest over the past few weeks, her insurance is now due for renewal and she got a favourable renewal through a different company from the one she is currently with, however one of the requirements for the insurance is a valid NCT.
    She rang the NCT and was talking to an operator and told her about her situation. She was able to book in a centre that is further away from us at the weekend (not a big issue for us) but she was told as the 28 days have lapsed since the original test, she will need to undertake the full test again but only pay for the retest. Anyone know if this should be the case? My understanding was that she would only have to get the retest issues tested as the lapse of time was not her fault and actually had a retest booked prior to the lift issue but it was cancelled.

So, just to follow up with this, my wife cancelled the test in the centre that was further away as they couldn't guarantee the lift inspection would be done, another operator told her that lift tests starting again on the 18th March in galway, so she went for the test this morning, weren't sure if it was going ahead with all the issues around covid 19. The receptionist wasn't sure if she needed a full test or not and she put her down for a retest.
    I was told buy an operator that once the 30days was past yiu had to do a full test, that their system will not allow it any other way.... That's obviously not true.
    Anyway, the car passed the retest thankfully. Didn't do full test again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭MrCostington

I rang to book in Northpoint this morning as they have working lifts (and it's the one I always go to anyway). The guy basically said it was random chance that I got a full test done, it seems they have lifts only on some lane(s) - is this true? I told him I'll pass on booking today then (as not due till 28 May).

But I've re-considered with the Covid19 situation to test early if possible. Which would be best to book, Northpoint 1 or 2? Or any other center?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭User1998

Only Northpoint 2 have working lifts, so definitely pick that one. Try book an off peak time, like one of the very late slots when its quiet and you should get a full test (I did)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭MrCostington

Thanks, just booked there for 22:40 1st April - hopefully that's late enough and they are still open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭KB22

Any info. on the story regard's greenhill's? They have plenty dates a week from now, are they doing the full test? Regards KB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

KB22 wrote: »
    Any info. on the story regard's greenhill's? They have plenty dates a week from now, are they doing the full test? Regards KB.

https://www.ncts.ie/media/1036/temporary_suspension_-lift_faq.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭User1998

Staff from Greenhills told me they won’t have any lifts until Summer, probably even later now because of this virus

User1998 wrote: »
    Staff from Greenhills told me they won’t have any lifts until Summer, probably even later now because of this virus
    Jaykers... there will be movies about this level of mess up

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Jaykers... there will be movies about this level of mess up

Yep, it's up there with the most notable events of 2020.

Has anyone booked an appointment to complete the lift part of the test?

When I'm doing it it is asking for my payment details but it doesn't show any amount. Is this because it's already logged in the system that I'm just going back for the second half of the test?

I'm not gonna be charged any amount?

I passed first part of the test in Feb and the tester told me not to go near the website and just use the phone number . I rang last week and got an appointment for the lift in Ballina. No mention of money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I tried the number for a couple if weeks and gave up. Booked an appointment in a months time. Colleague with a bit more persistence finally got through after a few weeks of trying. But it's only a week before mine. Same difference imo.

I was on hold for a while and was about to hang up when I got someone. Just checked there and It was the first week in March when I rang. Got the first week in April so it looks like a 4 week waiting list in Ballina. He had no info as to when Sligo lifts would be operational. Whit the Corona thing I wouldn't be surprised if the whole NCT shut down in the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Martin Tyler AgueroooOO

Hi guys I am now waiting for the underbelly test. Can I book into another test centre to do this or do I have to stick with the centre I did the first part in? I would be prepared to drive to another center to get it done for piece of mind.

Hi guys I am now waiting for the underbelly test. Can I book into another test centre to do this or do I have to stick with the centre I did the first part in? I would be prepared to drive to another center to get it done for piece of mind.
    If you ring them they can rebook you to another test centre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

IS there chance Captain Trips will take out the NCT in the next few weeks , that would be Kino.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭vw4life

Book online

Every little helps.

I've the underbody in Ballina in two weeks. Would be great if Sligo got going again. Ballina is a 90 minute drive from here. I took the date thinking I could call to 2 friends and catch up but that was before the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Psychedelic Hedgehog

You need to ring them if more than 28 days has elapsed since your incomplete test, otherwise the website will charge for the visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭cnoc

You need to ring them if more than 28 days has elapsed since your incomplete test, otherwise the website will charge for the visit.

Where did that information come from?

My experience has been it seems to allow you book but fails at the payment part but then you get confirmation of the booking.

Horrific lack of information. Just a shambles.

I've given up. I've an appointment booked. Previous reports and fails and receipts for work done. Nothing more I can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭misstearheus

Ah crapsticks they are closing at 3 or 4 o'clock or something these days and they're not fast on getting back to emails. I would book for Lift Inspection online but not sure if ya can... Is booking online classed as a Re-Test or can I book Free Lift Inspection on their Site without them charging me 30 quid for a Re-test anyone know? I might wait until tomorrow and ring early and see can I get talking to a human.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Psychedelic Hedgehog

cnoc wrote: »
    Where did that information come from?

Personal experience after trying to do so online and being told that detail by the customer service rep. Basically booked the test over the phone instead of using the website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Ah crapsticks they are closing at 3 or 4 o'clock or something these days and they're not fast on getting back to emails. I would book for Lift Inspection online but not sure if ya can... Is booking online classed as a Re-Test or can I book Free Lift Inspection on their Site without them charging me 30 quid for a Re-test anyone know? I might wait until tomorrow and ring early and see can I get talking to a human.

Tou have to ring to get the free under body inspection to finish off an incomplete test due to the lift issues . You can book online but they charge you and if it's more than 28 days since initial part of test you have to pay for a full test if booked on line. Call em for the free undrrbody inspection

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭popa smurf

Why don't they just call it off now and close the place down for a month with all that's going on and give everyone a 3 month extension, people have enough going on with kids at home and old people needing to stay cocuned, if everyone just stopped going and stop booking and cancel there tests immediately. We have the power.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭FionnK86

Is Drogheda still inoperative? They state to date on linked form but didn't date the form. :rolleyes:

FionnK86 wrote: »
    Is Drogheda still inoperative? They state to date on linked form but didn't date the form. :rolleyes:

So did u read the FAQ that was updated yesterday??? Or just rely on boards??

So did u read the FAQ that was updated yesterday??? Or just rely on boards??

Which FAQ, could you link?

If you’re referring to one you’ve linked earlier, as per my post, there’s no references date on it. :D

• Advertisement

Here now. They’ve closed waiting room, it’s very small in fairness. Buts it’s freezing out.

FionnK86 wrote: »
    Which FAQ, could you link?

If you’re referring to one you’ve linked earlier, as per my post, there’s no references date on it. :D

https://www.ncts.ie/1115

It’s there under this sub-heading
    Temporary Suspension of Vehicle Inspection Lift in NCTS - Update
    We understand that some of our customers may have specific questions regarding their NCT test. We have compiled some Frequently Asked Questions to assist NCTS customers

Update 20th March 2020

Full underbody inspections have now recommenced in the following NCT centres, Northpoint Co Dublin, Fonthill Dublin , Deansgrange Co Dublin and Naas .

We would encourage customers to book their NCT online for these centres.

Full NCT inspections are also being conducted in the following centres, however please be advised that not all lifts in these centres are fully operational and some customers may still only receive a partial inspection

Cork (Little Island)
    Limerick
    Galway
    Letterkenny
    Waterford
    Killarney
    Ballinasloe
    Athlone
    Skibbereen
    Ballina

Took about 30 seconds to find it

Not if you click on link, it’ll bring you to the PDF and not website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭kerryjack

A 3 month extension is only a stroke of a pen for the RSA they have all ready relaxed the rules for truck drivers. Putting the lives of elderly people at risk that feel pressured to do there NCT. Cars are turning into little isolation boxs now because while family are going out for drives just to get out of the house and maybe get a drive through take away. Cancel all appointments and vote with your feet.

popa smurf wrote: »
    Why don't they just call it off now and close the place down for a month with all that's going on and give everyone a 3 month extension, people have enough going on with kids at home and old people needing to stay cocuned, if everyone just stopped going and stop booking and cancel there tests immediately. We have the power.

I've had problems trying to get a NCT since Jan. If it passes the next test it will be 4 months. Assuming they don't cancel it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement