Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NCT discontinue lift inspections (now with places with working lifts)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Which centers did you pass the lift tests in?

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭privateBeavis

jprboy wrote: »
    Just to be clear:

1. Did your retest require the use of a lift?
    2. Were you in one of the test centres listed on the NCTS website as having working lifts?

Yes needed lift for retest and it was in Deansgrange.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

Any update on waterford ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭jprboy

Minime2.5 wrote: »
    Any update on waterford ?

You'll just have to keep an eye here for updates:

https://www.ncts.ie/1115

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

Information on the NCT site is wrong. I booked and took my car to Little Island to get the underbody inspection done. I booked last week for Saturday. I turned up and was told the test was cancelled as the lifts were still inoperable. No one bothered to call me or email to cancel, the handling of it is a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Jsman11

beauf wrote: »
    Which centers did you pass the lift tests in?

Mine was in Northpoint 2 in Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 203 ✭✭zepman

I am just outside Northpoint 1 now. Got told my appointment at half 12 for the lift inspection has been cancelled.

But was also told that if I'm okay with it, they can book me in for this evening at Northpoint 1 itself. Was cool with me since I live locally. So hope it's still on when I show up later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭degsie

Fonthill has one lift in operation, bit of a queue though.

zepman wrote: »
    I am just outside Northpoint 1 now. Got told my appointment at half 12 for the lift inspection has been cancelled.

But was also told that if I'm okay with it, they can book me in for this evening at Northpoint 1 itself. Was cool with me since I live locally. So hope it's still on when I show up later.

Went down at 5pm and was sent over to Northpoint 2. Was a bit of a queue there. Took about 20 minutes for my car to be picked up, but once in, the test was done in 5 minutes. Passed. Glad I got it over with today. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Called NOT this morning, phone doesn't even ring, very poor show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭trellheim

Fonthill Saturday last. Only one lift working when asked a very Mexican shrug not our problem if your car goes up there or not, ring head office ie p off and dont bother us. no we wont put your car on the lift.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭AH92

So for the lift retest guys if you manage to book a retest slot there’s no guarantee they’ll do it as of now? In the fonthill centre particularly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭degsie

trellheim wrote: »
    Fonthill Saturday last. Only one lift working when asked a very Mexican shrug not our problem if your car goes up there or not, ring head office ie p off and dont bother us. no we wont put your car on the lift.

Had the very opposite experience there on Sun. Car was back for re-test for a headlight issue that required use of equipment. Was told that the car would also get the lift test but may just have to wait a little longer as there was just one available. In the end it went pretty quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭Kealyboy

Does anyone know is the inspection lift in operation in the Kilkenny NCT centre? Or is this out of operation at the moment.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭uncle-mofo

Anyone know if Galway is up and running fully? Booked in for tomorrow night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭honda boi

I'm guessing there's no point booking retests for centres that aren't any of the ones they listed on there site.
    Still amazed how nothing is been said by anyone officially about this for awhile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Enniscorthy and Athlone definitely up and running plus the Dublin ones. Waterford , kilkenny, Carlow, portlaoise, tullamore, cahir, Naas are not. That’s all I know for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭MAYOMICK

These eight centres are in addition to the six locations, Deansgrange (South Dublin), Ballinasloe, Athlone, Skibbereen, Ballina, and Enniscorthy, announced last Friday 31 January.Lifts at these locations will be used primarily for those drivers who are due to undergo a Driving Test and NCT Taxi roadworthiness test.

Got this off NCT website but does anybody know if the lifts in Ballina or Westport are operational.I rang Nct today and they said that Ballina wasnt working but they also gave me incorrect information about early inpection on my own car (import) so I dont know what to believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

So was in Greenhills at 9am for a 2pm test. Explained owner snowed in and I was helping, they said come on in.

Did the test but no ramp (as expected). Passed everything possible with no ramp and tester advised to ring ncts and book deans Grange or North Point who have working ramps.
    If not ramp tested by date in March, test again and will be charged again.

So, rang ncts. The two named above are only taxis and urgents, as skeleton service. Told to ignore deadline from tester as it is out of my control. Keep an eye on website.

It appears the testers do not know themselves so talk to the office by phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭nanook5

Rang customer service just now and they say the new lift in Limerick has not been put in. Ring back early next week to check for a date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭RioM

Kealyboy wrote: »
    Does anyone know is the inspection lift in operation in the Kilkenny NCT centre? Or is this out of operation at the moment.

Thanks

I just booked my retest online which is due before Feb 20th. The last time I phoned, they made a booking and it got cancelled by text that evening. I'll give it a few hours and might try phoning...

So, rang ncts. The two named above are only taxis and urgents, as skeleton service. Told to ignore deadline from tester as it is out of my control. Keep an eye on website.

I just booked the retest online for the Sunday just gone, at Northpoint. My previous NCT was expiring on Monday, so just wanted to try my luck even though the website mentions that it's only for taxis and for those with upcoming driving tests.

They did do it fortunately, although when I showed up at the original booked time, they said it's cancelled and asked me if I could come back in the evening. Wasn't too much a bother for me as I wanted to get it over with the same day. Think they'll accommodate if there are no cars booked that need priority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭FionnK86

I had mine Northside Saturday, rang Monday and told to ring back Wednesday week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

What do you propose they do about a lift with structural defects?? Would you go in under a jeep on a lift with cracks in it??

A similar fault was found in a few lifts. The design of lift obviously has a weak point.

Could they not just get a competent professional to inspect and assess each lift on a periodic basis to verify whether or not each lift has developed the fault and then give a go/no-go for continued use until the next inspection.

Just because a few units have developed the defect does not mean that all have or will develop the same defect.

An all-stop and renewal of the lifts en masse seems like an extreme and very disruptive measure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭FionnK86

Rang there & he said lifts weren’t back working in Northside 1 or 2 and to ring back Friday this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

So was in Greenhills at 9am for a 2pm test. Explained owner snowed in and I was helping, they said come on in.

Did the test but no ramp (as expected). Passed everything possible with no ramp and tester advised to ring ncts and book deans Grange or North Point who have working ramps.
    If not ramp tested by date in March, test again and will be charged again.

It appears the testers do not know themselves so talk to the office by phone.

NCTS website says ... The test will be completed with the omission of the underbody inspection, which will be conducted at a later date when the lifts are returned to use. Customers will incur no additional fees as part of this process...

Having already paid for a test and retest I would expect that payment to also cover a test (and one retest if necessary) of the underbody inspection part of the test. I would not expect to have to repeat earlier parts of the test which were already passed or pay more for the NCTS to complete something for which they have already been paid.

It seems the NCTS needs to get a clear message to their employees (and the public) regarding the impact where they cannot complete all parts of the test in less than than a 28 days, both in terms of what will need to be tested when lifts are available (full test or just underbody inspection) and the cost implications to the public, if any.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭honda boi

If there is no lift available before your 28 days retest.
    Do they do a full test again?

honda boi wrote: »
    If there is no lift available before your 28 days retest.
    Do they do a full test again?

Check your retest deadline on their website. They seem to have extended it due to the issue. My initial test was on Jan 29th, the day they stopped the lift inspections. After a couple of days, when I checked the website to book the retest, the deadline displayed for me was March 29th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Carson10

We have a car that is due for re-test within 28 days (17th February). It requires both a visual and lift inspection. I was told on the phone that I must present the car for retest within the 28 days to cover the visual/non lift inspection and pay the €28, then re book the car again for the test inspection when they are back in operation which I wont have to pay for.

This means they cannot facilitate a full re-test. Should I be untitled to a free test overall.

My thoughts were that if they cannot book you in for a full re-test in the 28 days your were entitled to it free. ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭MAYOMICK

FionnK86 wrote: »
    Rang there & he said lifts weren’t back working in Northside 1 or 2 and to ring back Friday this time.

My daughter had a car in there on Sunday in Northpoint1 and she was sent to Northpoint2 because they had a lift.

Also I rang NCT yesterday and they said that the lifts in Ballina were being used only for Taxis etc.Today it was discussed on local radio and numerous people rang in to say they got cars passed there in the last few days.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

Daughter's car was tested in Youghal on Monday. No working lift. She was advised to get the lift portion of the test done in Little Island. She rang yesterday and was told the lift was in use for Taxis only and keep an eye on their website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Buffman

I had mine booked into Naas for next week, I just rescheduled it for the end of March, hopefully by then the NCT and ramp manufacturer will have sorted out this mess.

The cars not due until April so have a bit of wiggle room.

Feck potentially having to go 3 times!

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles or cartons to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭uncle-mofo

No lift inspection happening in Galway tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Carson10 wrote: »
    We have a car that is due for re-test within 28 days (17th February). It requires both a visual and lift inspection. I was told on the phone that I must present the car for retest within the 28 days to cover the visual/non lift inspection and pay the €28, then re book the car again for the test inspection when they are back in operation which I wont have to pay for.

This means they cannot facilitate a full re-test. Should I be untitled to a free test overall.

My thoughts were that if they cannot book you in for a full re-test in the 28 days your were entitled to it free. ?

The way i read it is your car failed on something say like bulb or tyre which is a visual and lift inspection say a rusted brake pipe or suspension bush which is a 28 euro retest charge which you pay then.Free test for ramp work when back working.
    Its not a full retest as it should only be what is failed on nct form.
    BUT have seen a car go back passed on the items listed but another fault found by another tester and would not pass it.:eek::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

NCT in Waterford today, got a sheet stating incomplete test.

Was told to call before the 28 days "retest" date to have the visual inspection part done.

Not sure what happens if lifts not available by then, I'm not traipsing around the county or country as I work about 1 minute's drive from the centre!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Nearly 400 posts, and most of them furious and panic-ridden.

Just chill. If you're due an NCT, wait until the issue is sorted. Nobody is going to go to jail, amass penalty points or have their car impounded as a result of the issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Struggling to understand why it's taking so long to sort. Are the RSA paying for the new lifts? Got a funny feeling APPLUS are hanging back on what should have been a straightforward swap of old lift for new

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

dodzy wrote: »

Just chill. If you're due an NCT, wait until the issue is sorted. Nobody is going to go to jail, amass penalty points or have their car impounded as a result of the issue.

A lot of people are furious with good cause.
    This has been handled very badly by Applus and the RSA.

Chilling is a good idea but most would rather do it at home or in the pub not in the NCT waiting room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Ya agree if everyone stopped and cancelled there booking at the start until it's fixed, I don't mind getting car tested but am going to wait till its fully up and running again. No test centre no points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

kerryjack wrote: »
    Ya agree if everyone stopped and cancelled there booking at the start until it's fixed, I don't mind getting car tested but am going to wait till its fully up and running again. No test centre no points.

That's your decision. The law on requiring a valid test certificate to use a car in a public place has not been changed. Whatever about turning a blind eye to not having a valid test certificate if you have a recent half passed test report I'd be less confident about being let go on my way without anything at all.

I have a few months to go before my car is due for test but if it was due soon or up I'd do what part of the NCT is available at the time and be able to produce a half completed test report.

People have been advised, though on what authority is unclear, to carry their partially complete test report in the car and any service records to be able to produce at a garda checkpoint if needed.

This 'arra, sure tis grand', until it isn't is not good enough. The outgoing minister for transport, sport and tourism failed to do anything about regulating for the situation.

The incoming minister needs to act on this as a matter of priority if everything is not back on track when a new government is formed. Existing test certificates need to be extended or temporary test certificates issued based on completion of partial testing.

There also needs to be clear and regular communication about the ongoing situation both from the NCTS and the government.

Has the survey of all lifts been completed? Is there a remediation / replacement plan in place? How long before full testing will be available again? How long before the underbody inspection backlog will be cleared? What temporary legal solution to address the situation is being put in place and for how long?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

That's your decision. The law on requiring a valid test certificate to use a car in a public place has not been changed. Whatever about turning a blind eye to not having a valid test certificate if you have a recent half passed test report I'd be less confident about being let go on my way without anything at all.

I have a few months to go before my car is due for test but if it was due soon or up I'd do what part of the NCT is available at the time and be able to produce a half completed test report.

People have been advised, though on what authority is unclear, to carry their partially complete test report in the car and any service records to be able to produce at a garda checkpoint if needed.

This 'arra, sure tis grand', until it isn't is not good enough. The outgoing minister for transport, sport and tourism failed to do anything about regulating for the situation.

The incoming minister needs to act on this as a matter of priority if everything is not back on track when a new government is formed. Existing test certificates need to be extended or temporary test certificates issued based on completion of partial testing.

There also needs to be clear and regular communication about the ongoing situation both from the NCTS and the government.

Has the survey of all lifts been completed? Is there a remediation / replacement plan in place? How long before full testing will be available again? How long before the underbody inspection backlog will be cleared? What temporary legal solution to address the situation is being put in place and for how long?

Outgoing minister this, incoming government minister that....and your car not due for months. Jesus, I’d hate to see how you would react in a real crisis.

Outgoing minister this, incoming government minister that....and your car not due for months. Jesus, I’d hate to see how you would react in a real crisis.

He's making the perfectly valid point that they've not given any official direction on what to do or what's happening. They've made people technically illegal on the road, and are just ignoring it.

If your NCT is up you have no way of knowing if you turn up will you get the lift part done.

It's ineptitude beyond belief.

...shhuuure it will be grand....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

According to the NCT's latest update (yesterday)....

"Our priority at this point and time is for the safety of our staff and our customer’s property"
    Perhaps they could add that another priority is getting this mess sorted out.

With regard to underbody 'retests' it's simply a case of "don't call us, and we won't call you".
    No mention of Customer's concerns about driving around without a valid NCT.
    No mention of any sort of timetable for when this debacle will be sorted.
    This update is over a week since their previous communication.
    Any other Private sector company would be falling over themselves to get a problem of this magnitude sorted, and give their customers some indication of when normal service will resume.
    I'd say SGS are delighted with the way Applus have handled this....;)

Do people think that a warehouse is having 500 units in stock and ready to go at a moments notice.Does anybody on this thread in whatever they do carry 500+ items with the way the Irish economy is going.It will take time as we had to wait 10days to get a cable fitted to our ramp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ml100

They can take as long as they like but everyone's nct should be extended by the time it takes to fix this i.e. we shouldn't be doing half an nct, it was their failure to check their equipment that has caused this, we should not be continuing to pay for their incompetence.

I would say they get all their stuff regularly checked with the amount of use they get,ours is once a year and theirs might be done every 4 or 6 months.Remember when a few planes crashed same model but different airlines and they all had to be grounded until they were passed safe=same scenario as the ramps.

greasepalm wrote: »
    Do people think that a warehouse is having 500 units in stock and ready to go at a moments notice.Does anybody on this thread in whatever they do carry 500+ items with the way the Irish economy is going.It will take time as we had to wait 10days to get a cable fitted to our ramp.

You're missing the point entirely...

The point is safety first as its unusable they cant risk it, and cars are like people going into the hospital and getting rejected.

Still not the point....

• Advertisement
Advertisement