Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Picard 1x02 - "Maps and Legends" [** SPOILERS WITHIN **]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭Evade

Stark wrote: »
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Picard/comments/ewlkum/spoiler_reconciling_episode_2_and_tngs_the/

Full quote was:

Which seems consistent with "Picard". "Cyberneticist" in this case being someone charged with eliminating AI.
    That's quite a leap. Far more likely Setal was implying the Romulan cybernetecists would take him apart to examine him.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Evade wrote: »
    Step 1: Make a throwaway Reddit account
    Step 2: Post "Hey guys, just watched Nemesis. Did the Romulans have any experience with androids/AI before B4?" in r/StarTrek
    Step 3: Get hundreds of replies with every mention of Romulan AI/Cybernetics throughout all of Star Trek.

Maybe they did. Who knows, but again I ask the "does it matter?" question. It's a funny little contradiction for sure, but then I've watched similar videos of all the times Data contradicted his own programming and relative invulnerability. As Cork_Exile said, the show couldn't even keep to its own continuity.

Even if they hate AI, I'm sure Romulans still have cyberneticists. Hacking is a crime, but the FBI (and private companies) still hire hackers in their ranks as part of their cyber-warfare departments.
    Five mentions in 118 comments isn't exactly rampant Kurtzman bashing.

I was, to use the vernacular, joking Evade. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭Rawr

That's quite a leap. Far more likely Setal was implying the Romulan cybernetecists would take him apart to examine him.

I'd be inclined to think this way too. They'd probably want to find out what make him tick....so that they could better kill any more Soone androids that might turn up.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Maybe they did. Who knows, but again I ask the "does it matter?" question. It's a funny little contradiction for sure, but then I've watched similar videos of all the times Data contradicted his own programming and relative invulnerability. As Cork_Exile said, the show couldn't even keep to its own continuity.
    Does it matter to you? Probably not. Does it matter to some people? Yes. Those people are allowed to gripe at stuff like this.
    Even if they hate AI, I'm sure Romulans still have cyberneticists. Hacking is a crime, but the FBI (and private companies) still hire hackers in their ranks as part of their cyber-warfare departments.
    "We don't study cybernetics" - Bean Uí Romulán
    I was, to use the vernacular, joking Evade. :)
    Very hard to tell in text.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,031 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Does it matter to you? Probably not. Does it matter to some people? Yes. Those people are allowed to gripe at stuff like this.

Just as we're allowed gripe at them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Bean Uí Romulán

Well, that's the only way Laris should be referred to from now on!

Bean Uí Romulán

Nowhere else on the entire Internet could you say that and people would know what you meant. Except boards.ie in Ireland. I doff my hat to you sir.

ST has been very poor in the past for staying in line with canon.

Was it First Contact where Picard says the Enterprise has 24 decks and then 5 minutes later Ensign Hawke says the Borg occupy decks 22-26?

Whatever about across different series, sometimes it can't even be consistent in single episodes or movies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,031 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Was it First Contact where Picard says the Enterprise has 24 decks and then 5 minutes later Ensign Hawke says the Borg occupy decks 22-26?

Maybe it doesn't have a deck 13 because it's "unlucky" :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

And we're allowed gripe in return. And so it goes. But when you got Spock smiling like a loon over some alien plants, there's an element of "eh, don't worry about it" when it's just a passing conversation from one specific episode.
    "We don't study cybernetics" - Bean Uí Romulán

Yeah, "we" which can be taken to mean ordinary Romulans; but hardly a stretch to say if they hate AI that much, there would be divisions, departments and whatnot whose calling is to "know thy enemy". There are real world analogues with the FBI as said, Sure in this very episode we see a Romulan task force running a decommissioned Borg Sphere, so doesn't look like they're utterly divorced from the technology of non-organics.

Bean Uí Romulán

Romulán-an-tig?

• Advertisement

Nowhere else on the entire Internet could you say that and people would know what you meant. Except boards.ie in Ireland. I doff my hat to you sir.
    The only benefit of 60% of my formal education being in Irish
    ST has been very poor in the past for staying in line with canon.

Whatever about across different series, sometimes it can't even be consistent in single episodes or movies.
    All true. We can, and do, gripe at that too.
    And we're allowed gripe in return. And so it goes. But when you got Spock smiling like a loon over some alien plants, there's an element of "eh, don't worry about it" when it's just a passing conversation from one specific episode.
    You can rebutt them, sure, but once you start griping at people for having an opinion you're not really talking about Star Trek anymore.
    Yeah, "we" which can be taken to mean ordinary Romulans; but hardly a stretch to say if they hate AI that much, there would be divisions, departments and whatnot whose calling is to "know thy enemy". There are real world analogues with the FBI as said, Sure in this very episode we see a Romulan task force running a decommissioned Borg Sphere, so doesn't look like they're utterly divorced from the technology of non-organics.
    She wasn't an ordinary Romulan, she was Tal Shiar so my reading was "we" referred to all of Romulan society, bar the double super secret Romulan spies, as she would be in a position to know.

I though the implication was the Romulans on the Borg cube were the double super secret Romulan spies?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

The Romulans shown to have been working, with Romulan Tech in Trek 2009.
    The Nerada, which comes from Picard's timeline, was augmented with Borg tech. It started as a simple mining ship
    Did I miss this, I just thought that was the Romulan look, did they actually say it was Borg?
    Endaaaagh wrote: »
    Maybe Laris and Zhaban are Zhat Vash! :eek:
    That would fill the plot hole about how he got home after the explosion!
    Well they are Tal Shiar, it would be silly though, why hang around with Picard for 10 years?
    Goodshape wrote: »
    Yeah – given all the dream sequences in the first two episodes, having Picard just wake up on the couch after such a big and dramatic scene was a bit of a misstep.

Laris or yer man did say something like "there was an explosion, they brought you back here".

To be honest, if there isn't some reveal coming in a not-too-later episode, the whole Dahj character seems badly handled from start to finish. Seemed so important when introduced... then she just died. OH NO!! Except... doesn't matter at all. Picard just wakes up at home, nobody's investigating her death or even the explosion, and "there is another".

Almost feels like unnecessary filler. Could all have been handled better.
    I thought Picard reviewed the footage and it was heavily edited, the girl wsn't in the video at all, the Romulan agents were not there etc. This was due to the romulan spies in starfleet covering it up. I thought it was fine. He got knocked out by an exploision, medical doctors looked him over, he was grand, they dropped him home. It is kind of the way healthcare should be.
    I though the implication was the Romulans on the Borg cube were the double super secret Romulan spies?
    I thought the implication was the Romulan Free State owned the cube through Salvage but they allow starfleet and other visitors visit, kind of like a work or student visa system in the interests of cooperation.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Did I miss this, I just thought that was the Romulan look, did they actually say it was Borg?

There was a tie-in "Countdown" comic which fleshes out Nero a bit more than the movie and also throws in the whole thing about Borg-tech in his ship.

Never read it, so not sure...

Rawr wrote: »
    There was a tie-in "Countdown" comic which fleshes out Nero a bit more than the movie and also throws in the whole thing about Borg-tech in his ship.

It has Data/B4 as captain so it might not be that reliable.

I thought the implication was the Romulan Free State owned the cube through Salvage but they allow starfleet and other visitors visit, kind of like a work or student visa system in the interests of cooperation.
    Doubtful the Federation races are Starfleet.

Rawr wrote: »

So completely unnecessary, I always just presumed it was a blunt instrument mining ship that happened to be pretty much at a planet destroyer level
    Doubtful the Federation races are Starfleet.
    Sorry, I got the impression they were from different academies / institutions etc. So they are something and have visas for research etc.

Another question, the borg they were stripping, were they still alive, I can hear a heart beat going 90. Does it die or are they actually trying to save them?

So completely unnecessary, I always just presumed it was a blunt instrument mining ship that happened to be pretty much at a planet destroyer level

Sorry, I got the impression they were from different academies / institutions etc. So they are something and have visas for research etc.

Another question, the borg they were stripping, were they still alive, I can hear a heart beat going 90. Does it die or are they actually trying to save them?

There looked to be reclaimed drones on the ship

They're supposed to be from science academies but I'm putting my money on all of them being synths.

Ok so I rewatched Ep: 1
    They said that the police brought him back and that the security feeds did not show anyone but Picard. We have footage of doctored security feeds.

I can take it that the writers just wanted him home, to push the story along (or Bean Uí Romulan could be with the agents). Picard being killed would have a lot of officers interesting in finding out how, so can take it that they left him alive.

There is, at least, a big of wiggle room in my head now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,810 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Ok so I rewatched Ep: 1
    They said that the police brought him back and that the security feeds did not show anyone but Picard. We have footage of doctored security feeds.

Doctored the security feeds to edit out the attack I can buy, but what about the physical damage from the explosion? It's still a hole, literally and metaphorically :)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Doctored the security feeds to edit out the attack I can buy, but what about the physical damage from the explosion? It's still a hole, literally and metaphorically :)

Yeah but it's down to general errors, at that stage. Stuff you get in several episodes of Trek (of you could say that they just cleaned up super quick, with tech)

Depends who sent him home; we've seen now that there are sections of Fed. security in league with the Romulans; presumably then with Daj(s) dead & the evidence buried, the conspirators were arrogant and cocky enough to send Picard home, figuring a doddery & concussed Admiral with nothing but rambling conspiracy is little threat.

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Or the fact that it was in the middle a very populated city.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,682 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Depends who sent him home; we've seen now that there are sections of Fed. security in league with the Romulans; presumably then with Daj(s) dead & the evidence buried, the conspirators were arrogant and cocky enough to send Picard home, figuring a doddery & concussed Admiral with nothing but rambling conspiracy is little threat.

Maybe the Romulan agents did a little surgery when he was knocked out by the blast. Might explain the lobe issue. But I still think he has Irumodic Syndrome

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Into a bit of a rabbit-hole in terms of the reddit thread and AI, but I can't help but wonder if there's going to be some kind of tie-in between Discovery and this new anti-AI Romulan organisation.

we've seen now that there are sections of Fed. security in league with the Romulans
    I took it they were undercover, not in league, as in they are Romulans disguised as humans

I took it they were undercover, not in league, as in they are Romulans disguised as humans

Yeah same, and the commodore would easily be able to suppress alerts

In league in the sense that there were operatives working in high enough positions of Security, they could massage any investigation or response to an explosion on the roof of Starfleet HQ.

Obviously, they should have killed Picard and claimed it was an accident gone wrong, but then we wouldn't have a show :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

I do wonder how they explained the explosion. Considering its shown on footage you'd think the police would query how that happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Yester

I'm enjoying it so far. I just hope it's not all happening inside Picards head.

Advertisement