Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord demands to collect rent in cash

Options
  • 30-01-2020 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭

I have a really really really evil landlord (many other issues, already called about them with threshold ).

Now one of the issues is that my landlord wants to collect the rent in cash each month. Presumably to avoid taxes, but why this is so is not really my concern.

My concern is:
    - safety. What if some thugs steal my month's rent on the way from the bank? What if the deposit is stolen from my home overnight? What if my roommate f*cks me over and steals it? What if my landlord steals it and claims that I didn't pay the rent?
    - Landlord has to come to my home to collect it. I honestly want to see him as little as possible.
    - Difficulty in arranging a meet up time.

He refused to accept bank transfer. I asked him if I could write out a cheque instead (in my country this is a super old fashioned method and never used anymore, but here in Ireland it's slightly more common). But your man said that it would take too long to clear.

Is a landlord legally able to demand the rent in cash each month (as well as bills)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Yes. Cash is legal tender.
    Is the tenancy registered with the RTB? As that's an indicator of the tax situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭limitedIQ

I would say everything on your list is a non-issue. You are just paranoid. Plenty of people would regularly carry 4 figure sums of cash without giving it a second thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Mitzy

He can request the rent to be paid in whatever manner he prefers.
    I know it is painful for you to have to get cash and would be much easier to deal by EFT but just because this is his preferred payment method you can't assume he is avoiding tax.

Also he is perfectly entitled to visit the property to carry out regular inspections to ensure it is being kept to a certain standard. This might be his way of killing two birds with the one stone!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I would say everything on your list is a non-issue. You are just paranoid. Plenty of people would regularly carry 4 figure sums of cash without giving it a second thought.

Completely disagree. All perfectly well founded fears imho especially if the OP is in a dodgy living situation which it sounds like he is.

My suggestion is to move if possible. Otherwise you're just going to have to comply I dont think there is any legislation on modes of payment. What does your lease say, assuming you have one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Is this a change to how you have been paying or have you always been paying in cash and now want to change?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭MacDanger

limitedIQ wrote: »

Definitely do this (although it's the landlord's responsibility to provide the rent book rather than yours. Don't hand over any cash without getting a signed receipt first

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Up to him how he wishes to collect the rent. What makes him evil?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Up to him how he wishes to collect the rent. What makes him evil?

He's a landlord.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

What’s in your lease?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

4 figures is in excess of 1,000.

While there are reasons people carry that sort of money around.

Most people would certainly give carrying that cash more then a second thought.

1) how best to withdraw.

2) how best to carry it - ie dont put it all in one section of clothing if possible.

3) minimising the amount of time you need to have 1000 euros or more on you. So if you are meeting the landlord at 4.30 pm on a Friday you'd try to do the withdrawal as close to that 4.30 pm as possible.

What's annoying is that there are perfectly acceptable ways of paying sums of money without needing to get cash.

We aren't talking about a once off transaction here - this is monthly.

I realise that as OP is renting a room it's less then 1 k..

But still a pain.

dashoonage wrote: »
    He's a landlord.

I suspect that is the case but 3 *really suggests more😊

machaseh wrote: »

My concern is:
    What if the deposit is stolen from my home overnight?

Eh? Why do you have the deposit?

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭machaseh

Eh? Why do you have the deposit?

Sorry I mean rent

Old diesel wrote: »

I realise that as OP is renting a room it's less then 1 k..

But still a pain.

This is definitely a 4 digit figure. We are talking dublin here and a small apartment.

Mitzy wrote: »
    I know it is painful for you to have to get cash and would be much easier to deal by EFT but just because this is his preferred payment method you can't assume he is avoiding tax.

Also he is perfectly entitled to visit the property to carry out regular inspections to ensure it is being kept to a certain standard. This might be his way of killing two birds with the one stone!

Regular inspections is fine, but monthly is too much in my opinion.

Having been in this situation, the biggest annoyance is arranging a time for him to collect it. I'd regularly get a text saying, "I'm near the house now, can I come round", and I'd be in tesco, or in the pub, or in the middle of sexy time with herself.

He couldn't commit to the same day/time every month so it was a monthly annoyance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Make Him commit to a set time and day to collect it. If he texts or phones to change it say no doesn't suit or I'm not there / going out, don't have it one me. Please stick to the arrangement, or send me you account and I'll transfer it. Do as he asks but don't make it easy for him

Make Him commit to a set time and day to collect it. If he texts or phones to change it say no doesn't suit or I'm not there / going out, don't have it one me. Please stick to the arrangement, or send me you account and I'll transfer it. Do as he asks but don't make it easy for him

You can ask but you can't make him do anything

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

You can ask but you can't make him do anything

Could he issue eviction notice though if you said you were available to pay rent at a specific time and he refused it, and if you also offered to pay electronically?

You've made reasonable effort to pay.

• Advertisement

cruizer101 wrote: »
    Could he issue eviction notice though if you said you were available to pay rent at a specific time and he refused it, and if you also offered to pay electronically?

You've made reasonable effort to pay.

You need to make reasonable attempts to meet with him. If neither can agree a time neither are being reasonable

You need to make reasonable attempts to meet with him. If neither can agree a time neither are being reasonable

Well that works both ways.

Offer a list of times or dates that you will be home, but making them awkward times. It's not the OPs problem they dont suit the landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,940 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Tell him to meet you yo collect it at the bank, rather than your home.

Wayyyy to risky to carry a months rent in cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Mitzy wrote: »

Cash is legal tender no argument.

But its a ridiculous way of dealing with rent.

People are completely paranoid about cash, I couldn’t be dealing with people like that.

I honestly wouldn’t think anymore about carrying 1k in cash as I would about 5 euro. Maybe I’m just used to it so I’m desensitised.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Plenty of people would regularly carry 4 figure sums of cash without giving it a second thought.

Plenty?
    4-figure sums?

You must move in some circles. I can't think of anyone I've known that go around with those sorts of sums on their person on a regular basis.

A few hundred maybe and those would be few enough to count on one hand

macplaxton wrote: »
    Plenty?
    4-figure sums?

You must move in some circles. I can't think of anyone I've known that go around with those sorts of sums on their person on a regular basis.

A few hundred maybe and those would be few enough to count on one hand

Anyone who pays rent in cash, anyone who buys and sells cars, the vast majority of tradesmen will take in plenty of cash, people paying tradesmen in cash, people who take out a wad of cash from the machine or bank to do them for the month etc etc.

Also lots of people keep cash at home for different reasons.

• Administrators Posts: 53,813 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Only idiots carry large sums of cash on their person. OP, unfortunately your landlord is an idiot.

You can be sure that tradesmen, after taking large cash payments, are getting to the bank to deposit said cash as soon as they can.

Even these days I doubt there are too many oul grannies daft enough to walk about with large cash sums on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

That doesn't mean its a good idea to use cash if there is an easy way to avoid it.

In this case its not simply about the cash.
    Its about having arrange a meeting every time the rent is due.

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »
    Only idiots carry large sums of cash on their person. OP, unfortunately your landlord is an idiot.

Why is he an idiot, I’ve never ever been robbed be in mugged, my car or my house? Why would I be worried?
    awec wrote: »
    You can be sure that tradesmen, after taking large cash payments, are getting to the bank to deposit said cash as soon as they can.

I don’t think you get the purpose of taking cash if you think they lodge it in the bank, that is the last place they go with it.
    beauf wrote: »
    Its about having arrange a meeting every time the rent is due.

A very wise move by the LL many would say, gives him the chance to inspect the house every month. I paid cash in 2/3 places I rented and never found it in the least bit inconvenient. If I wasn’t there the LL just let himself in to get it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement