Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord demands to collect rent in cash

Options

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,813 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Why is he an idiot, I’ve never ever been robbed be in mugged, my car or my house? Why would I be worried?

I don’t think you get the purpose of taking cash if you think they lodge it in the bank, that is the last place they go with it.

:pac:

I think if any of these things had happened to you and you still carried cash then "idiot" would be an overly kind descriptor.

"It's never happened to me" is of course, rock solid reasoning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Why is he an idiot, I’ve never ever been robbed be in mugged, my car or my house? Why would I be worried?

It only has to happen once.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Musefan

One of the first questions asked by my bank when applying for a mortgage was "do you pay your rent in cash or out of your bank account". I was told to make sure it comes out of my account if I wanted rent to be factored into ability to repay each month.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

dashoonage wrote: »
    He's a landlord.

Yeah , how dare someone own another property and then provide you with a place to live .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

It gets around the problem of banks and the rent date eg 1st being a Sunday - if like many people you don’t do online banking you are left trotting to the bank to check if the payment is in, maybe having to return a few days later -Q, etc - its a major pain in the neck. Not all bank accounts CAN have atm cards for them but give a higher rate of interest but it means you can’t just check balances at the wall but have to go in and waste time q’ing to see if money is lodged. So I see why the landlord would do it.Assuming you can pay it all in one go ( another heartache ) why not set aside a regular time and place and day to give him/her the rent in cash.You could chose one of those atm’s that are inside the bank but that you can access after the bank is closed at 3 or 4 or whatever time banks close at. Might be a win all round. Agree re rent book or receipts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I had a landlord like this but that was in the nineteen eighties. Cash only every Friday. Came in person, Id say to check up on what I was up to for a year or so. Then asked me to lodge to account and had no bother afterwards.

Sounds like he doesn't trust you yet or he wants you to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,971 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

cruizer101 wrote: »
    Is this a change to how you have been paying or have you always been paying in cash and now want to change?

This is the key question OP.

You're probably going to be exceeding daily/weekly ATM limits to pay a month's rent in Dublin in cash. So you're going to have to spread your withdrawals, and hold maybe half the rent in cash in your place for a week or two.

With reduced bank opening hours and moves to outsource the ATM business, this could turn into a very complex operation.

If you're forced into it, the first step would be to report to Revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,802 ✭✭✭antimatterx

You're probably going to be exceeding daily/weekly ATM limits to pay a month's rent in Dublin in cash. So you're going to have to spread your withdrawals, and hold maybe half the rent in cash in your place for a week or two.

With reduced bank opening hours and moves to outsource the ATM business, this could turn into a very complex operation.

Report to revenue? Is cash not legal tender for services?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Is your tenancy registered with the RTB OP?

I'd suggest making up some yarn that you're going to be out of the country for 6 weeks with work and holidays and won't be able to physically hand over cash so can you provide details for an electronic payment.

That or if you can't pay you go into arrears and you've 2 weeks to rectify - you could do this every month if you liked and he could get sick of writing arrears letters (which I doubt he'll actually do). If he gets annoyed you missed rent day just reply in writing that you can pay immediately if he provides bank details.

If you like where you live it's probably not the wisest move to piss him off as he may mysteriously find a family member to move in or remove you at the four year point.

He has reasons for cash, most of them potentially dubious (hiding money from bank (he might owe a load and is just creaming off cash before repossession in an extreme case), taxman, wife etc) or else he's just old school and uses it to get out of the house and to check up on ye (which is a pain and quite infantilising but that's people for you).

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭machaseh

I used to pay the rent for my room only to my previous roommate by bank transfer. How he handled it with the landlord I don't know. He moved out and now I have to deal with the landlord.

What the landlord told me is that he did pay it by bank transfer but always paid late. I have no more contact with that previous roommate.

Basically the evil landlord is punishing me for the wrongdoings of my previous roommate (not only paying late but he was also a pig and didn't clean etc.)

Now this lease will only run for a couple more months. I am strongly considering not renewing it. The issue is then I have to rent somewhere else with possibly an equally evil landlord. I'd prefer to just move out of dublin really but it's not really feasible with my job and all.

• Advertisement

Report to revenue? Is cash not legal tender for services?

Yep, it is absolutely legal tender.

Tax evasion is not legal, and is the most likely reason for looking for a cash payment.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,322 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

You make one single withdrawal in the bank on the due day.

You can’t report to revenue for cash payments either.
    I pay my plumber cash, he gives me RGI certs. Do you report every taxi driver you meet that takes cash from you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭The Student

machaseh wrote: »
    I have a really really really evil landlord (many other issues, already called about them with threshold ).

Now one of the issues is that my landlord wants to collect the rent in cash each month. Presumably to avoid taxes, but why this is so is not really my concern.

My concern is:
    - safety. What if some thugs steal my month's rent on the way from the bank? What if the deposit is stolen from my home overnight? What if my roommate f*cks me over and steals it? What if my landlord steals it and claims that I didn't pay the rent?
    - Landlord has to come to my home to collect it. I honestly want to see him as little as possible.
    - Difficulty in arranging a meet up time.

He refused to accept bank transfer. I asked him if I could write out a cheque instead (in my country this is a super old fashioned method and never used anymore, but here in Ireland it's slightly more common). But your man said that it would take too long to clear.

Is a landlord legally able to demand the rent in cash each month (as well as bills)?

My advice is to thread with caution the advice you are receiving on this forum in relation to your post.

Cash is legal tender, if you were always paying in cash then there is no reason why the landlord should not continue to receive payment in cash. Agree a location to make payment to him even if it means for you going to where he lives etc.

It seems strange to me if the landlord was previously accepting payment into a bank account and now wants cash. if it was going in to a bank account then there was a trace of it so Revenue would see it.

if you are not happy with the situation then live with it for the short term while looking for another place.

Yep, it is absolutely legal tender.

Tax evasion is not legal, and is the most likely reason for looking for a cash payment.

And what happens if he reports the landlord to Revenue?

Possible outcomes landlord is not tax compliant blames tenant for reporting him tenant is made homeless.

Landlord is tax compliant and decides tenant is a troublemaker tenant is made homeless.

Landlord is tax compliant and decides tenant is a troublemaker any hope of improving tenant landlord relationship is destroyed. Tenant suffers.

Great advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Daz_ wrote: »
    Yeah , how dare someone own another property and then provide you with a place to live .

How dare they purchase them with lax mortgages and now force our generation to slave to pay their mortgages without a chance of owning our own home before 35/40.

In most cases that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,235 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Mitzy wrote: »
    Also he is perfectly entitled to visit the property to carry out regular inspections to ensure it is being kept to a certain standard. This might be his way of killing two birds with the one stone!

They're perfectly entitled to.carry out inspections IF they give notice of an inspection. The OP could meet them at the door and give them the money and not allow them into the house.

It would also be responsible to have to cancel the meeting at short notice because things come up which would interfere with the transaction e.g. Have to work late or need to go somewhere. The landlord has chosen a very inconvenient method of payment so they must expect to be inconvenienced too.

kceire wrote: »
    You make one single withdrawal in the bank on the due day.
    So you have to get there in bank opening hours, which are restricted. And many bank branches are non-cash branches now, which is a further restriction.

This could get fairly messy fairly quickly.
    kceire wrote: »
    You can’t report to revenue for cash payments either.
    I pay my plumber cash, he gives me RGI certs. Do you report every taxi driver you meet that takes cash from you!
    You can report anyone you like to Revenue for anything. The question is what Revenue will do with your report.

I'd guess that if there is evidence of >€10k changing hands in cash over the course of a year, they'll be fairly interested.

Possible outcomes landlord is not tax compliant blames tenant for reporting him tenant is made homeless.

Landlord is tax compliant and decides tenant is a troublemaker tenant is made homeless.

Landlord is tax compliant and decides tenant is a troublemaker any hope of improving tenant landlord relationship is destroyed. Tenant suffers.

Great advice!

I thought the narrative on this forum was that being a LL was a hiding to nothing and tenants are there to screw you and the RTB back them up.

Seems easy enough to remove tenants from your post?

Great advice!

The landlord won't know who reported him to Revenue.

Hold money for two weeks? How much do you think the op is paying. Atm limits are around 700 euro per day, so two days at most is all that would be needed to withdraw to pay for the cost of one room in a two bed (most people have more than one current account so you can have the withdrawal limit per account).

As for report to revenue, it’s not your business to look after the LL tax affairs. It’s ridiculous how fast some suggest this, reporting someone to revenue is real bottom of the barrel stuff that only the lowest of the low would consider.

• Advertisement

Hold money for two weeks? How much do you think the op is paying. Atm limits are around 700 euro per day, so two days at most is all that would be needed to withdraw to pay for the cost of one room in a two bed (most people have more than one current account so you can have the withdrawal limit per account).

As for report to revenue, it’s not your business to look after the LL tax affairs. It’s ridiculous how fast some suggest this, reporting someone to revenue is real bottom of the barrel stuff that only the lowest of the low would consider.

Do you think it's lower than people who engage in tax evasion as a matter of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

The landlord won't know who reported him to Revenue.

I doubt that very much. Small country and all.

Browney7 wrote: »
    I thought the narrative on this forum was that being a LL was a hiding to nothing and tenants are there to screw you and the RTB back them up.

Seems easy enough to remove tenants from your post?

The tenant is paying for a service nothing more nothing less. The landlord is tax compliant but gets auditted by Revenue because the tenant reports him for wanting payment in cash (remember legal tender) for whatever reason. He wants the cash to go out drinking, he can't get to the bank himself but he needs cash to buy his shopping whatever the reason.

What purpose does reporting the landlord to Revenue help the tenant.

If the landlord is or is not tax compliant the landlord will be inconvienenced one way or the other. If he has any savvy he will put two and two together and work out who reported him.

It never ceases to amaze me some of the posts that appear on this forum of anti landlord. Just because the landlord wants to get paid in cash you automatically assume he is not tax compliant.

If the tenant takes the advise to report the landlord to Revenue then he deserves everything that happens. He is required to pay for a service nothing more nothing less. If the landlord wants payment in cash and he does not want to do it then leave.

The tenant is paying for a service nothing more nothing less. The landlord is tax compliant but gets auditted by Revenue because the tenant reports him for wanting payment in cash (remember legal tender) for whatever reason. He wants the cash to go out drinking, he can't get to the bank himself but he needs cash to buy his shopping whatever the reason.

What purpose does reporting the landlord to Revenue help the tenant.

If the landlord is or is not tax compliant the landlord will be inconvienenced one way or the other. If he has any savvy he will put two and two together and work out who reported him.

It never ceases to amaze me some of the posts that appear on this forum of anti landlord. Just because the landlord wants to get paid in cash you automatically assume he is not tax compliant.

If the tenant takes the advise to report the landlord to Revenue then he deserves everything that happens. He is required to pay for a service nothing more nothing less. If the landlord wants payment in cash and he does not want to do it then leave.

Where does reasonableness come into it though - can the LL insist on payment in 10 cent coins if he has coin fetish for instance?

Tenant "I want to pay you send on bank details". LL "I'll call round on the last Friday at five, I go on a mad bender with the lads and need the cash". Tenant "I'm in work till seven so I can actually live and pay you the rent - I'll send you the money by EFT right now"

LL "evicted, out with you, you're being unreasonable". As I said, not exactly a bad market for Landlords is it?

Do you think it's lower than people who engage in tax evasion as a matter of interest?

Yes, most definitely.

Do you report every tradesman who does work for you at a reduced price for cash?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Its annoying of the landlord, but not illegal.

Get him to sign a rent book every time he collects the rent.

If you dont like this scenario then just move out into a place which accepts bank transfers.

Where does reasonableness come into it though - can the LL insist on payment in 10 cent coins if he has coin fetish for instance?

Tenant "I want to pay you send on bank details". LL "I'll call round on the last Friday at five, I go on a mad bender with the lads and need the cash". Tenant "I'm in work till seven so I can actually live and pay you the rent - I'll send you the money by EFT right now"

LL "evicted, out with you, you're being unreasonable". As I said, not exactly a bad market for Landlords is it?

You are missing the point. Cash is legal tender, if you go into a shop and want to pay for anything in 1c coins then you are legally entitled to do that. A shop can't legally refuse to accept payment by this method. They may impose an admin charge for accepting 1c coins, if you don't want to pay it then you don't buy in that shop you buy elsewhere who do not charge an admin charge.

Your tone speaks volumes about your stance on this topic. You are on the tenants side no matter what.

If you want to get into the landlord tenant relationship in general please start a seperate thread and I am more than happy to engage with you on that topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Lau2976

You mention roommates OP. Is it just the two of you? My landlord collects cash from a property rented as a house share because it means he can have one lodgement instead of 5 smaller ones. I don’t see the benefit necessarily but he’s RTB registered and I assume tax compliant (Me and OH rent full house and pay by DD every month) but that’s his preference. As others have said, get a rent book and arrange a time to meet. Or if your really paranoid ask can you pay weekly to avoid having a large sum of cash?

Lau2976 wrote: »
    You mention roommates OP. Is it just the two of you? My landlord collects cash from a property rented as a house share because it means he can have one lodgement instead of 5 smaller ones. I don’t see the benefit necessarily but he’s RTB registered and I assume tax compliant (Me and OH rent full house and pay by DD every month) but that’s his preference. As others have said, get a rent book and arrange a time to meet. Or if your really paranoid ask can you pay weekly to avoid having a large sum of cash?

Now stop that, this is an anti landlord thread, you are suggesting that landlords have a geninue reason for wanting rent paid in cash.

Get into the naughty corner with you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Johnny Sausage

You are missing the point. Cash is legal tender, if you go into a shop and want to pay for anything in 1c coins then you are legally entitled to do that. A shop can't legally refuse to accept payment by this method. They may impose an admin charge for accepting 1c coins, if you don't want to pay it then you don't buy in that shop you buy elsewhere who do not charge an admin charge.

Your tone speaks volumes about your stance on this topic. You are on the tenants side no matter what.

If you want to get into the landlord tenant relationship in general please start a seperate thread and I am more than happy to engage with you on that topic.

they can refuse to accept coins for a transaction if there is more than 50 coins (i think)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement