Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord demands to collect rent in cash

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,428 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

You are missing the point. Cash is legal tender, if you go into a shop and want to pay for anything in 1c coins then you are legally entitled to do that. A shop can't legally refuse to accept payment by this method. They may impose an admin charge for accepting 1c coins, if you don't want to pay it then you don't buy in that shop you buy elsewhere who do not charge an admin charge.

Your tone speaks volumes about your stance on this topic. You are on the tenants side no matter what.

If you want to get into the landlord tenant relationship in general please start a seperate thread and I am more than happy to engage with you on that topic.

a shop is not obliged to deal with you at all. if you go in with a bag of 1c coins they can tell you to go away.

you dont understand what legal tender. Legal tender only applies to debts. If you go in to a shop to buy something then no debt exists so legal tender is irrelevant.

In the OPs case a debt does exist so the landlord can insist on legal tender. Even here he cannot just hand over a bag of 1c coins. the landlord is obliged to accept a maximum of 50 coins in one transaction. They can refuse to accept more than this. The Economic and Monetary Union Act, 1998 is the applicable legislation.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭machaseh

I will check if the tenancy is registered with RTB and if not I will report to revenue, would anyone have a form on how to do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

I have paid cash in the past.

But it was when a room in a Kerry town was 50 quid a week so small amounts at a time.

So 250 or thereabouts a month.

But if someone wanted me to take out 1200 euros or the like in cash every month - it would 100 percent be at MY convenient time.

I take a view that it's already an inconvenience to take out 1200 euro in cash without having to arrange a time that's hopeless to me.

Would certainly expect flexibility on times.

So sometimes I might be an hour late getting to you with 1200 euros in cash because I had to work to earn that 1200 cash.

The problem is that there are workable alternatives to going to a bank to draw out 1200 quid a month in cash.

It's unnecessary and just awkward.

There's no problem paying a taxi driver in cash because he or she will be getting paid 20 or 30 quid type figures.

Edit - it's like the way Landlords may think the standards required by HAP in terms of the house are totally unnecessary - they may be right.

But unnecessary works both ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭The Student

a shop is not obliged to deal with you at all. if you go in with a bag of 1c coins they can tell you to go away.

you dont understand what legal tender. Legal tender only applies to debts. If you go in to a shop to buy something then no debt exists so legal tender is irrelevant.

In the OPs case a debt does exist so the landlord can insist on legal tender. Even here he cannot just hand over a bag of 1c coins. the landlord is obliged to accept a maximum of 50 coins in one transaction. They can refuse to accept more than this. The Economic and Monetary Union Act, 1998 is the applicable legislation.

You are getting to deep into this. The point I was trying to make was that cash is legal tender and is an acceptable legal method of payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,428 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

You are getting to deep into this. The point I was trying to make was that cash is legal tender and is an acceptable legal method of payment.

not getting deep at all. just correcting your contention that people have a legal entitlement to pay a shop in coins that simply does not exist.

• Advertisement

machaseh wrote: »
    I will check if the tenancy is registered with RTB and if not I will report to revenue, would anyone have a form on how to do that?

What do you hope to achieve by reporting to revenue except bring bad karma on yourself?

Also you can't trust the RTB database so just because you can't see it registered doesn't mean it isn't.

not getting deep at all. just correcting your contention that people have a legal entitlement to pay a shop in coins that simply does not exist.

I have reviewed the legislation and you are correct regarding the 50 coins, in so far as they are not obliged to accept more than the 50 coins in a single transaction.

They may however choose to accept more than 50 coins.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭machaseh

What do you hope to achieve by reporting to revenue except bring bad karma on yourself?

Also you can't trust the RTB database so just because you can't see it registered doesn't mean it isn't.

What to achieve - I will probably not get any gain out of it, but if the landlord is indeed avoiding taxes by means of using cash then that is something I would like to report to revenue for them to sort out.

Bad karma? Are you serious? How is karma of any concern here? We're talking about tenancy, not religion.

As for not trusting the RTB database- any sources on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,786 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Massed experience by posters on here. Plenty of landlords that are registered can't find themselves on it; people who assume their landlord isn't registered check with the RTB directly and find they are, etc etc.

Also there's obsolete registrations on it to begin with.

What to achieve - I will probably not get any gain out of it, but if the landlord is indeed avoiding taxes by means of using cash then that is something I would like to report to revenue for them to sort out.

Bad karma? Are you serious? How is karma of any concern here? We're talking about tenancy, not religion.

You appear to have made your mind up as to what course of action you are going to pursue.

Personally I would not report the landlord rather I would focus on securing alternative accommodation.

I hope it works out for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

You appear to have made your mind up as to what course of action you are going to pursue.

Personally I would not report the landlord rather I would focus on securing alternative accommodation.

I hope it works out for you.

I suspect securing a new property will be more challenging without a reference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Funny how some people get up in arms over certains aspects of the law but are very comfortable with the notion of dodging tax

Dav010 wrote: »
    I suspect securing a new property will be more challenging without a reference.

This is true but the op is an adult and has made their mind up how to proceed. They are the only ones who will be effected by whatever actions they take.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,320 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

You are missing the point. Cash is legal tender, if you go into a shop and want to pay for anything in 1c coins then you are legally entitled to do that. A shop can't legally refuse to accept payment by this method. They may impose an admin charge for accepting 1c coins, if you don't want to pay it then you don't buy in that shop you buy elsewhere who do not charge an admin charge.

Your tone speaks volumes about your stance on this topic. You are on the tenants side no matter what.

If you want to get into the landlord tenant relationship in general please start a seperate thread and I am more than happy to engage with you on that topic.

Untrue as other than the Central Bank no person is required to accept more than 50 coins in settlement of any debt.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

MacDanger wrote: »
    Funny how some people get up in arms over certains aspects of the law but are very comfortable with the notion of dodging tax

You are speculating.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Am I?

MacDanger wrote: »

Firstly it is Revenue's responsiblity to catch tax evaders. Secondly, where exactly is the evidence that the landlord in question is actually evading tax.

It would appear that the relationship between the tenant and landlord has broken down completely. I suspect there is three sides to this story, the tenants, the landlords and the truth.

The tenant is not happy with the landlord wanting payment in cash and because of this wants to cause the landlord as much trouble as possible.

If this is the approach the tenant wants take then on there head be it for the consequences of their actions be they positive or negative on them.

Posters have given opinions on what the op should consider before making a final decision. This thread has turned into the usual tenant v landlord debate. Neither side of the debate are particuarly happy with the situation but with the way the housing sector is at the moment I would rather keep the landlord on side until I had alternative accommodation.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,322 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Ok, the OP has the answers required and has decided what their next move is.

Let’s not go further into the rabbit hole of tax fraud without one shred of evidence against the landlord or the tenant.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement