Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Prime SCAM

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭bot43

My work landline must have got at least 10 calls a day for the last few days. The caller ID is different every time though.

A few 0044, a few 091, 071 and a few local Cork ones so no 021.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,007 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I got this too, and hung up on it. Then in the following few hours had about 20 calls from people saying they'd had a missed call from me. Very annoying, but my provider (virgin) assured me there were no charges against my number. So whatever number you see is probably some a legit number, but obviously that's not where it's coming from

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's not an Amazon Prime thing, it's just a general scam call. They're not targetting Amazon customers.

These scammers are in general targetting older people who may not really understand how modern subscription services work (i.e. that nobody rings Amazon to sign up to Prime), and who might be confused about what providers they're using for what service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭purple hands

Thanks OP, bought 17

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I got it at work, just hang up and move on with your day

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Thanks OP, bought 17

Greedy! I ordered 2 with delivery through Parcel Motel with my Revolut but the order was cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

bot43 wrote: »
    My work landline must have got at least 10 calls a day for the last few days. The caller ID is different every time though.

A few 0044, a few 091, 071 and a few local Cork ones so no 021.

Whenever I get these calls, I let the caller babble on for about 20/30 secs. Then I interrupt them and say "Do you know what you shoild do now? Stick you head between you legs and vanish up your hxxe". I terminate the call then.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I keep them on the phone for as long as possible. The more time eased talking to me, the less time they have ringing other people

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

https://gimletmedia.com/shows/reply-all/6nh3wk

Particularly good series (think it ran to a couple of episodes iirc) of episodes of a good podcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I'm getting these "Amazon Prime" calls multiple times per day now including 3 times this morning already. I don't have caller ID but based on previous posts it sounds like it doesn't help as numbers look legitimate.

The worst part of it is if others are now getting scam calls "from" my number as suggested in this thread is happening.

Hopefuly something done about these f*ckers soon. I wasn't aware of any coverage of this in the media but a quick google shows that it was mentioned by RTE at least as well as the Irish Times link in the OP.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/0131/1112182-internet-users-warned-about-phone-scam/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

I got a call from a dublin number about an issue with a prime delivery. Claimed they noticed different IP addresses on my orders. I pointed out I use a VPN, he went quiet and then starting crapping on about things.

Let him waffle then told him to pee off and scam someone else.

In another life, I was a money transfer agent. Got the scam call from "tech support". Stretched it out to around half an hour with him trying to explain to dumb me which button on the keyboard was the @ key, etc etc and him explaining absolute basics to me. Then I laughed and asked him had I wasted enough of his time.

On the same subject, scammer rang a pensioner and asked to speak to her husband John about something. She pointed out he was dead 5 years. He hung up.

It is going on all the time, they only need to get lucky once. Just be aware and move on.

Advertisement