Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EdgeEmbrace

• 30-01-2020 12:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭

The new Limerick Brand has launched:

https://twitter.com/Limerick_ie/status/1222834889193639937?s=20

It's nice but I'm not blown away by it. Have a lot of concerns about the city and the future and I think they will hinge on the LSMATS when it is released. Only then will we know whether the new brand will work.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Over €700k I believe? Between UL and Limerick, rebranding is expensive.

Newstalk interviewed one of the guys involved this morning and he sounded like a bit of a snake oil salesman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Not sure what to make of it really if I'm honest. Looks cool enough, but how much of an effect does city "branding" really have? Time will tell I guess, but at the moment I'm a bit blase about the whole thing..

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

i like it, some of their promo videos pretty much nailed Limerick. But im not sure what happens next? Do the IDA, Failte Ireland and Limerick Universities use this to attract FDI, tourism and students to the city?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

damowill wrote: »
    i like it, some of their promo videos pretty much nailed Limerick. But im not sure what happens next? Do the IDA, Failte Ireland and Limerick Universities use this to attract FDI, tourism and students to the city?

I'd say so and will be used by businesses in the area. Dont think it means much on the ground though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭sioda

Now I could be wrong but don't think County Limerick touches the Atlantic thus no edges or embracing.
    Does seem like ridiculous money tbh

• Advertisement

But we are one of a few gateways to WAW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭sioda

Original WAW plan didn't even include Limerick. The rift between failte Ireland and Shannon Region screwed that.

I could argue we aren't a gateway we are a bypass on the way to the coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭mart 23

I would have thought they could have used better words than edge and sharpen given our city recent history.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Twoman Fullbackline

It's complete and utter garbage and we should be asking for whatever money has been spent back. The negative connotations of the word "edge", used in any number of contexts, surely outweigh any positive connotations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I never heard Limerick referred to as being connected with the Atlantic Ocean in terms of its image. It is forty or fifty miles inland. The European mainland is hundreds and hundreds of miles off.
    It is a bit of a chancer pitch. All a bit of a reach when there is no need to. I feel disappointed knowing that a lot of money went on this. I don't think I could get behind it with a straight face. Buzzword spill - everywhere.

"progressive mindset"
    "edge"
    "action"
    "opportunities"
    "embracing"
    "emotional ties"
    "icons"
    "heroes"

My neck muscles nearly got crushed with cringe at Cian's "massive city". On the upside it'll still be up on youtube in 20/30 years time and we can all have a good laugh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭mitresize5

How are you people so negative all of the time

It must be very draining

mitresize5 wrote: »
    How are you people so negative all of the time

It must be very draining

It's what we exist on. I've just watched it again and there's so many holes in it that I can't believe the city approved it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭Expunge

mart 23 wrote: »
    I would have thought they could have used better words than edge and sharpen given our city recent history.

I'm afraid that the old "stab city" moniker was the first thing that came to mind when I saw all this guff about #edge. Jesus, that sham from Saatchi's must be having a right good laugh and checking a map of Ireland to see which local authority he can shake down next.

All that was missing from the event was the Monorail guy from the Simpsons.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭mdmix

A brand was needed as many recruiters of students/staff/tourists don’t have the info or material to sell limerick to outsiders. The branding is fine, almost any branding would have been fine so there was no need to pay outrageous money for it.

Aside from that, the Atlantic connection comes from having port access Foynes to the Atlantic and easy access to transatlantic flights from Shannon (Clare) but historically Foynes. People on the west coast might scoff, but the branding is not aimed at them. Most of the world doesn’t know where limerick is and China and a lot of emerging markets dont even know where Ireland is - so the Atlantic edge explains both pretty well.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭MilfordBud

mdmix wrote: »
    A brand was needed as many recruiters of students/staff/tourists don’t have the info or material to sell limerick to outsiders. The branding is fine, almost any branding would have been fine so there was no need to pay outrageous money for it.

Aside from that, the Atlantic connection comes from having port access Foynes to the Atlantic and easy access to transatlantic flights from Shannon (Clare) but historically Foynes. People on the west coast might scoff, but the branding is not aimed at them. Most of the world doesn’t know where limerick is and China and a lot of emerging markets dont even know where Ireland is - so the Atlantic edge explains both pretty well.

That would be my take on it too. It is a stretch but it I think it's made for outside investors/tourists who don't know the city or it's history. For that reason I don't think the "edge" is a big issue.

Wild Atlantic Way has global recognition. Limerick doesn't tap into it despite a lot of tourists needing to go around the city if they go from Kerry to Clare and don't take the ferry. I've met a lot of tourists who bypass the city on their trip between Killarney and Galway for instance. Limerick is actually a shorter trip to the Cliffs of Moher than Galway is (3 km longer according to google maps but you've got a motorway from Limerick so the time is much shorter). You can get buses every hour of the day from Galway to the Cliffs.

Yes, Limerick is 50 miles from the sea but that's practically beside the sea to someone from central USA, Europe or China.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Over €700k I believe? Between UL and Limerick, rebranding is expensive.

Newstalk interviewed one of the guys involved this morning and he sounded like a bit of a snake oil salesman.

The whole thing is bull****. "Branding" a city. What a load of ****. Advertising is full of this fluff. Why not use an Irish company? This company previously worked with NZ and Aus, as I'd never heard of those two countries before there was a "branding" exercise.

Advertisement