Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virtual Trains

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Board Walker

Brilliant! I must check that out.

I wonder did dovetail etc ever approach him to buy the route? I wonder is it the most comprehensive community route built?

Just installed Train Simulator Classic from Steam.

How do I download and install the Irish Scenery, stations ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

You will need to download files from UKTrainsim site , see Post #7. Be sure to check the readmes within them for other files you may also need. Plus 40806 for the most recent Limerick Junction update.

It's not a simple one-stop install, I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 magi2407

Just wanted to say what a brilliant route Rosslare is. Heuston is a brilliant piece of freeware too, but as someone who commuted on the Waterford line for a number of years I'm very happy to be able to drive the Rosslare line through Gorey and Arklow. Just a specific feel, especially around the Rathdrum area.

I've worked on the 22000 for my own sake since I found the performance quite odd (Especially the acceleration and the weird jolt when starting) and I've basically transcribed bits of the simulation config and tractive effort graphs from the AP class 170 (which has a similar enough motor). Also changed the horn to one that fits the ICR a bit more , the Thomson 150 came in handy (Still not great, but better than the 201 horn as default).

So far I've delved into a bit of scenario making and came up with two scenarios

1) D412 the 1520 Grand Canal Dock to Hazelhatch - This utilises both routes; first part on Rosslare line sees you go from GCD to the curve towards drumcondra , next part takes off just after Phoenix park tunnel before Islandbridge Junction. Full AI and it makes for some fun.

2) A606 1333 Connolly - Rosslare Europort . Again, as per the real timetable you're following a dart on the way out, so some defensive driving, and then the opposite train waits for you on the loop in Wicklow. Plenty of Ai around Connolly and a GCD-Newbridge AI service.

My only real gripe is still the rolling stock. I can 100% appreciate it's freeware but if the ICR was just that bit better (textures mostly , physics can be done at a later stage they're not bad compared to the textures which show their age unfortunately). There in comes my question - Is there any plans for any work to be done on the rolling stock? Outside of the DART which we got (which is a brilliant addition, of course).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Thanks for letting me know it was released, I had no idea! Plus I had no idea that UKTS was closing next month so I may not have found it.

• Advertisement

Brilliant! ill grab that before they close :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3 cf169

Hi there, I’ve got the cork up and running but for rosslare I have objects with textures saying “missing texture”

Hi all.

As a Kilkenny man I always wanted to drive a sim version of the Waterford-Heuston service and after recently going on both the Tailte Tours and IRRS tours on the Waterford - Limerick Junction line I had a taste for getting those done. So over time I've gathered (Either by purchasing or generously being provided) several bits and pieces for the route. Speed limits in the WTT , Gradient Profiles. I then decided to take the last available version of the Cork,Tralee and Limerick route by Brendan and build on top of it. Using Google maps overlay and learning building the modern ways (Thanks to Thomas Harrisons tutorials). But using the same asset packs used in the original route to keep relatively consistent visuals across the route.It's a learning ground for me while being a fairly well known route for me. Won't be perfect but better than nothing.

So far I've dabbled at it for a few days and laid track to Muine Bheag with the small bit of the Wolfhill line in Athy and the Asbestos Cement factory.

Regarding models I will want to learn that to make some basic dedicated objects at a later date. So far I want to lay track to waterford and Belview Port via Kilkenny and do the terrain. Then worry about speed limits and signals and last do scenery. Once I have this line done I would love to get the line to Limerick Junction done but I'll have to have a better look at the semaphore signalling books before tackling that.

About release haven't thought about it. I'll probably do a few work in progress videos and see if it's worth anybody's time and if that works out I will get in contact with Brendan somehow and see what his opinion is. Until a green light from him it'll stay private. But that'll be a fair amount of time away.

Fair play to ya! I tried to add the old sugar factory into mallow and i just couldn't get the hang of it. And id consider myself good with all that stuff. i use a lot of AutoCad in work etc but i just couldn't get it to work for me.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

OK, I've prodded my dad into trying to turn the routes into a 'one stop shop', incorporating all the latest updates, and I've put it up on my Google Drive.

@magi2407 I'm curious as to your rejiggering with the 22000, which as you can see in this video seems to start ridiculously quickly, and slow ridiculously slowly, and how to incorporate it into either the RWP or the assets.

• Advertisement

@Manic Moran

You could half a___ it by tweaking the traction effort and power graph files but I think re writing it is better. I've got half of it done I'd say , adding in propper notches on the hud and using closest to the proper specs (mix of real specs I could get + ATS 185 since that has the hydrodynamic gearbox simulated) but I don't have 2 full days to sit down and just focus on this due to work (I'm an aero engineer by education not mechanical so some stuff I have to research from scratch). This takes time as I basically make my own blueprint from scratch. So it will have to wait some time. That and learning route building on the Waterford line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 aajb307

Any idea if youd be able to upload the rosslare line here? Would love to drive but ukts has been closed

So Small update on Waterford. I recently managed to procure proper elevation data for the stations on the route which then confirmed that my route was off by up to 20m in places. Hence I decided to rip up the tracks and reposition the individual stations (I had up to Bagenalstown done). I painted the terrain in Kilkenny and Waterford to roughly the correct height around the station to get an idea if I was placing correctly. Screenshots show Waterford Sallypark and Belview port (Which I intend to include to allow the running of DFDS and XPO liners as well as the Coillte timber from Sallypark. I've also got signalling diagrams and speed limits (Those are publically available in the Network statement published by IR). The only thing I want to work on is a consistent ballast texture across points but I feel this is to do with the track rule tab.

If you go on here https://www.reddit.com/r/trainsim/comments/174sq0f/irish_tsc_routes/the second post has a link to it. I have tried it but there is a lot of missing grass textures for me. Maybe you might be able to get it working. Maybe @Manic Moran will be able to help with that grass issue that’s happening.

Sounds like great progress. @magi2407

• Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Has anyone here gotten the Rosslare route working with the DART stock? I can't do anything that involves the DART, the game crashes with an "Out of memory" error (I have 32GB of RAM so I don't think that's the case). If I do a free roam and move the camera from Malahide to Connolly, I can click the ICR and that works fine, after which I can drive the route in an ICR. So it seems to be something to do with the DART.

Advertisement