Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remington 870

Options
  • 30-01-2020 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭

Was going to look at a new 870 at the weekend and decided to look at a few reviews.Most done for magazine's and online blogs seemed to say all was good re function and build.Looked then on some shooting forums and the amount of people saying that if you brought it out in the damp or rain you would see the receiver and barrel begin to rust before your eyes was amazingly high.Has anyone gotten the new model not the old wingmaster which apparently was brilliant.Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

Asus1 wrote: »
    Was going to look at a new 870 at the weekend and decided to look at a few reviews.Most done for magazine's and online blogs seemed to say all was good re function and build.Looked then on some shooting forums and the amount of people saying that if you brought it out in the damp or rain you would see the receiver and barrel begin to rust before your eyes was amazingly high.Has anyone gotten the new model not the old wingmaster which apparently was brilliant.Thanks.

id buy a mossberg 500 before the newer 870. read before about the newer ones not being as well made than the older ones or the top of the line models. do you specifically want a pump?

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Asus1

id buy a mossberg 500 before the newer 870. read before about the newer ones not being as well made than the older ones or the top of the line models. do you specifically want a pump?

Nope not really was just going to look at it,more out of curiosity than going to buy.I have the semi and as its a more flashy clay come hunting gun i was going to trade it for a more utilitarian game semi or pump.But the more i think about it i was thinking why bother changing at all.I shoot it well it never jammed and game don't care what gun you use.Ah decisions don't you love them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

Asus1 wrote: »
    Nope not really was just going to look at it,more out of curiosity than going to buy.I have the semi and as its a more flashy clay come hunting Agun i was going to trade it for a more utilitarian game semi or pump.But the more i think about it i was thinking why bother changing at all.I shoot it well it never jammed and game don't care what gun you use.Ah decisions don't you love them.

sure them decisions are half the crack

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Most online "experts" seem to agree that Remington's quality control has went downhill since their bankruptcy and rescue by the Freedom Group consortium.
    The consensus seems to be that you'd be better buying a clean secondhand 870 from the 1990's.

My personal advice would be, if you have a good semi that you like, don't trade it in, buy a pump to keep it company...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

if you are worried about newer 870s you can replace the mim extractor with a milled steel one and the trigger mech and housing for the alu police model.
    Personally although the build quality isnt as good they are still a fine gun that you can abuse. They do rust though. but its pretty easy to stop that. give it a wipe of an oily rag or have it duracoated and never worry again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭tudderone

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Most online "experts" seem to agree that Remington's quality control has went downhill since their bankruptcy and rescue by the Freedom Group consortium.
    The consensus seems to be that you'd be better buying a clean secondhand 870 from the 1990's.

My personal advice would be, if you have a good semi that you like, don't trade it in, buy a pump to keep it company...

Remington bought Marlin and their quality control went south too. Supposed to be back to normal now though. I had a mossberg pump years ago and it was a great bit of kit, for very little money. They are doing a riot gun that looks like the old US army Winchester pump. I could go for one of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Yeah, I have a Mossberg 500 myself, and it's great craic.
    I'd rather the OP tried one for a while first, rather than sell their current gun.
    If they didn't like it, sell it again, and you wouldn't be kicking yourself for selling something you got on with.

On a side note, I picked up a brand new Mossberg 88 in the local shop, and was very pleasantly surprised at how slick the action is right out of the box.
    Don't like the safety catch on the 88, but otherwise it seemed top class.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Asus1

Just quick update decided to keep gun but was talking to dealer about the 870.He will sell the basic model synthetic with 28" barrel for €550 and all the way up to €950 for the dearest.Dont know whether i can put up his name so pm and ill let you know.

Advertisement