Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mairead McGuinness Brexit farewell.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,751 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

No more silly comments please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,228 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

biko wrote: »
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-party-eu-parliament-farage-union-jack-flags-meps-a9308516.html

I don't think it was a big deal.
    Nigel et al waved flags as David Sassoli recently banned national flags.
    She said they weren't allowed any more.

Then she pulled the hate card of course
    She didn't pull the hate card....he said they "hate the EU"....she responded, did you not watch that bit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,658 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I just watched the Farage exit and he really is a totally odious man. I should think they are delighted he is gone, and his flag waving moronic followers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,049 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

road_high wrote: »
    I think she should have held her breath and let them have their final little bitter “moment”. I’m sure it was well flagged probably for years that this would be the carry on. The important thing is he and his ilk are gone now- of course they’ll still be sniping on the outside and im sure Farage will be a regular in Brussels sticking his oar in. Like a bitter divorced ex would do

I am sure he will still take his pension from the EU even though he despises them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I think as always Farage showed his class. Does he represent the modern exciting Britain that will do trade deals with everyone?

Good job Mairead, I 'm sorry to see UK leave EU but I 'm not sorry to see the back of this kind of behaviour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I am sure he will still take his pension from the EU even though he despises them

I'm sure he will. Politics was always just the way to make money for Farage, Brexit made him rich and it will make those who voted for it poorer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

You do realise she was talking literally, not figuratively? Farage and his cronies were waving flags, which is against the rules for all MEPs, not just the British ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,399 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

She would then be facilitating a breach of rules, so no - best not to stoop to that level.

Ah come on, it was a special day, a major nation leaving the EU. Farrage and his group were entitled to abit of british flag waving even if its not allowed.
    It was no time for such blunt comments. It came across as though she was bitter and was telling the whole uk to F*ck off now yourself and you flags.
    She could have smiled and told Farrage that he and his anti EU speeches will be missed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I thought it was dreadful but she has her place in history now

that clip will be played forever

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

gmisk wrote: »
    Even Diane Dodds was embarrassed

Dodds wasn't embarassed, she's raging because it's finally sinking in that her and the DUP have been left behind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

mickdw wrote: »
    Ah come on, it was a special day, a major nation leaving the EU. Farrage and his group were entitled to abit of british flag waving even if its not allowed.
    It was no time for such blunt comments. It came across as though she was bitter and was telling the whole uk to F*ck off now yourself and you flags.
    She could have smiled and told Farrage that he and his anti EU speeches will be missed.

Special day for Nigel and his mates maybe, but like every other day in the EU - procedure & rules are the order of the day, always have been, always will be.

See the idea of a union is lost on Farage and his mates/supporters - they have no interest in a partnership, they just act and do as they feel regardless of consequence - suppose a bit like the how the UK is acting to about half of it's own population, and 3/4 of it's member countries...

newport2 wrote: »
    Agreed. And here she is calling others to order and rightfully so. Again just doing her job and doing it well.

I loved the was she put her ear piece back in after talking.

Obviously needs someone to translate the nordy accent for her

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

I thought it was a bit curt but to the point, there comes a time when you don't indulge that sort of nonsense anymore.

As regards Farage and his Brexit, just hope that people don't look back on this time in years to come at the onset of some new great European conflict.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,228 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

irish_goat wrote: »
    Dodds wasn't embarassed, she's raging because it's finally sinking in that her and the DUP have been left behind.
    Possibly but my point is she didn't join in.
    They loved having some leverage though with the conservatives etc...but it is long gone.
    It also seems northern Ireland is slowly dragging itself away from crazed unionist parties.
    The alliance party massively increasing it's share.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,318 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

h.gricer wrote: »
    It's everything to do with FG politics, yes she is no longer a TD, but she is very much a member of FG and a FG MEP.
    She's no longer a TD because she never was a TD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,318 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

It's a pity that she didn't have a Scottish flag to wave back at farage and tell him it won't be long until that part of the Union Jack will be flying there.

Maybe because that is not going to happen.

"Whatever our views on Brexit".

remainder of OP the rantings of an extreme brexiteer position

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

looksee wrote: »
    I just watched the Farage exit and he really is a totally odious man. I should think they are delighted he is gone, and his flag waving moronic followers.

Also - They had just sat through a Holocaust survivor talking about their experiences on the anniversary and so on.

Then Nigel Farage stands up and launches into a speech about how Populism is great , Populism is coming back blah blah blah..

The tone deafness is beyond understanding - an awful individual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

I think the OP has seen that the tide is very much against him as he stopped commenting pages ago.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Also - They had just sat through a Holocaust survivor talking about their experiences on the anniversary and so on.

Then Nigel Farage stands up and launches into a speech about how Populism is great , Populism is coming back blah blah blah..

The tone deafness is beyond understanding - an awful individual.

I had no realised this. Yowsers.
    Though Farage isn't a complete mug, he likely knew the rules of the Parliament, knew he'd be ejected for breaching them, but figured there was good viral potential for his Ultras. Context goes out the window with viral content, so no great worry about the prior subject - heck this entire debacle has been the triumph of style over substance (or context)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭road_high

pixelburp wrote: »
    I had no realised this. Yowsers.
    Though Farage isn't a complete mug, he likely knew the rules of the Parliament, knew he'd be ejected for breaching them, but figured there was good viral potential for his Ultras. Context goes out the window with viral content, so no great worry about the prior subject - heck this entire debacle has been the triumph of style over substance (or context)

Completely for social media consumption.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭wench

They weren't getting the big exit they wanted, so was Nigel's petty attempt to make a scene
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/jan/16/brexit-no-union-jack-lowering-ceremony-in-european-parliament

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

A longer clip shows Farage saying that he hates the EU not Europe.
    Mairead McGuinness pointed out that using the word hate just after a commemoration of 75 years of the liberation of Auschwitz was not appropriate.
    Before they started the flag waving Farage was warned that national flags are not allowed in the house.
    He did it anyway. Was told to take his flags away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,637 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

mickdw wrote: »
    Farrage and his group were entitled to abit of british flag waving even if its not allowed.

How does that work?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

How does that work?

Just the usual british exceptionalism, rules don't apply to them etc. etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

She's no longer a TD because she never was a TD.
    She was talked into running in 2007, when Kirk seemed weak. Recall some issues with vote sharing as well. In truth I don't think her heart was fully in it. Been excellent in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭darem93

Really? After that appalling display of behaviour from Farage and his cronies, you think Mairead was the one who acted in the wrong?

I know Farage and the Brexiteers like to think they're above them, but he broke the rules so he got cut off. Simple as.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,726 ✭✭✭brickster69

Typical EU double standards. You cannot have your national flag but can walk around in " bollocks to brexit " t shirts.

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-stories/the-lib-dems-turn-up-to-european-parliament-with-bollocks-to-brexit-t-shirts-1-6137054

"if you get on the wrong train, get off at the nearest station, the longer it takes you to get off, the more expensive the return trip will be."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

gmisk wrote: »
    She didn't pull the hate card....he said they "hate the EU"....she responded, did you not watch that bit?
    Not in the link I had

He said "Goodbye, and we look forward in the future to working with you as sovereign.. (mike is turned off)"

Is there another video I should watch?

Or do you mean “We don’t hate Europe, we just hate the European Union”
    Is that hate speech?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,422 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

She was absolutely right, because everytime a Brexiteer tries to show that clip as some sort of glorious exit, they can be referred to the end where he was shut down like an errant schoolboy.

Farage doing the equivalent of poncing around in Union Jack underpants or showing them foreigners what for by draping the UJ over a sunbed.
    Well done Mairead McGuinness.

Advertisement