Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Port tracker mortgage or fixed rate

• 30-01-2020 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

I have a 2.25% above ECB Tracker. I can port whatseft and that becomes 3.25%. But there are fixed rates of 2.2% out there. Everyone says don't lose your tracker but I dont think that's the right thing to do. Advice appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,328 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

A lot depends on a) how long you have left on your mortgage; and b) how long you can fix the rate for. If there's little difference between the two then fixing at 2.2% would seem to be the better option as it's inevitable that rates will go up at some stage and you're already paying more than that. I'm guessing the 3.25% rate is variable? I certainly wouldn't be giving up my tracker for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Irishnaomes

Zaph wrote: »
    A lot depends on a) how long you have left on your mortgage; and b) how long you can fix the rate for. If there's little difference between the two then fixing at 2.2% would seem to be the better option as it's inevitable that rates will go up at some stage and you're already paying more than that. I'm guessing the 3.25% rate is variable? I certainly wouldn't be giving up my tracker for that.

I have 24 years left and I am bringing it as a tracker so it would still be a tracker at 3.25 forever. But as ECB is 0% the only way is up and I can get fixed for 5 years. With that in mind would you still say staying with tracker is better?

Sorry, I'm not sure I understand. You can move to another tracker, but at a higher margin of 3.25%. Is that right? If it is, why you'd want to do that. Your current tracker rate is essentially the same as what you'd be on fixed, so really the question is whether you think rates will rise in the next five years. If you can move to the fixed rate and move back to a tracker after 5 years that would be a good move, but if not you have to take a view on what fixed or variable rates will be in five years, and your crystal ball is as good as anyone else's.

Sorry, I'm not sure I understand. You can move to another tracker, but at a higher margin of 3.25%. Is that right? If it is, why you'd want to do that. Your current tracker rate is essentially the same as what you'd be on fixed, so really the question is whether you think rates will rise in the next five years. If you can move to the fixed rate and move back to a tracker after 5 years that would be a good move, but if not you have to take a view on what fixed or variable rates will be in five years, and your crystal ball is as good as anyone else's.
    I'm moving my tracker from current apartment to new house. They allow you to bring it with you (port your mortgage) but add 1%. Thanks for the advice. I think confirms decision for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

A 2.25% tracker is poor value.

A 3.25% tracker is appalling value.

If ecb goes up 1%, your rate becomes 4.25% the next day.

• Advertisement

Darc19 wrote: »
    A 2.25% tracker is poor value.

A 3.25% tracker is appalling value.

I agree, it seems pretty high. My tracker is ECB + 0.5%, after I moved from my original lender where I was paying ECB + 1.35%.

I agree, it seems pretty high. My tracker is ECB + 0.5%, after I moved from my original lender where I was paying ECB + 1.35%.

When did you move? So you went from tracker with one bank to tracker with another?

When did you move? So you went from tracker with one bank to tracker with another?

It was quite a while ago, maybe 12 or 13 years ago at this stage. I wasn't happy with the original bank for various reasons, so I moved and managed to get a much better deal as well as an added bonus.

It was quite a while ago, maybe 12 or 13 years ago at this stage. I wasn't happy with the original bank for various reasons, so I moved and managed to get a much better deal as well as an added bonus.

Ah I got mine 12 years ago. Last day they gave out trackers before the crash. Bad timing. Thanks for the advice. I think I'll shoo around and leave my tracker. Thanks.

Advertisement