Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ban from liverpool forum

• 30-01-2020 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭

A first for me - I told someone to "bend themselves" as in - go away - dont be annoying me - and I was banned for 2 weeks for personal abuse.

This in my honest opinion is WAY over the top - a 24hr ban would have been way over the top - a yellow would have been harsh.

Attached below is pm with the mod

Would greatly appreciate this to be overturned, a rare occasion I feel a mod has got it drastically wrong.
    ardinn wrote:
    And I would disagree telling someone to bend themselves is personal abuse, Feck off, Ah goway, dont be annoying me Etc, are all variations of said expression and none of the above would have resulted in an infraction of any kind.

I do believe the ban is a severely harsh, and without trying to insult you, completely ridiculous.

Not sure if you are having a bad day but I would ask you to reflect on what I posted.

You have told someone to bend themselves, any abuse of a board member is a red card offence in line with the charter, I have read that as akin to get bent or F off, that is why I have carded in teh manner i did. You are free to appeal to DRP as I will not be overturning it.

The use of this was I feel taken out of context.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

ardinn wrote: »
    The use of this was I feel taken out of context.
    OK.

In what context should it have been taken?

As that is your defense, please elaborate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Steve wrote: »
    OK.

In what context should it have been taken?

As that is your defense, please elaborate.

As I said above, ah goway, don't be at yourself. I dunno, how it was interpreted as personal abuse I'm not sure tho.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Your exact post was:
    Go bend yourself - light hearted natter about manes injury - get a life!

Again if there was some other context to consider then please let me know, otherwise I would have to agree with the mod in that the meaning behind the phrase is likely to be "go f yourself".

Either way, if you had posted "ah goway" or "don't be at yourself" it would still count as a personal dig. The rule is to argue the post not the poster.

Your correct course of action there would have been to report the post instead of responding to it.

Unless you've anything to add, I don't see how the mod acted wrongly here.

Your exact post was:

Again if there was some other context to consider then please let me know, otherwise I would have to agree with the mod in that the meaning behind the phrase is likely to be "go f yourself".

Either way, if you had posted "ah goway" or "don't be at yourself" it would still count as a personal dig. The rule is to argue the post not the poster.

Your correct course of action there would have been to report the post instead of responding to it.

Unless you've anything to add, I don't see how the mod acted wrongly here.

Well it wasnt meant that way, but if thats the way it was taken up fair enough I cant control opinion.

I didnt feel the post needed reporting to be fair, I dont think either did.

I do not believe however if I said "ah goway" I'd have gotten a 2 week ban for it - I dont think you believe I would either.

Anyway - The very crux of my issue is the length of the ban - 2 weeks? for a first ever (soccer) infraction. I must say that is extraordianry - (if this is standard then again fair enough)

Anyway - im sorry and wont do it again! I believe the 4 days served to be about 4 days too long but if we can call it quits here id appreciate it - im wrong, he's right, I learned my lesson.

Well it wasnt meant that way, but if thats the way it was taken up fair enough I cant control opinion.
    It was a rule reach, not an opinion.
    I didnt feel the post needed reporting to be fair, I dont think either did.
    That's your call to make, I just suggested that would have been the better course of action in the circumstances.
    I do not believe however if I said "ah goway" I'd have gotten a 2 week ban for it - I dont think you believe I would either.
    I disagree.
    To put it in soccer terms, you are supposed to play the ball, not the man. You played the man, that's why we're here.
    Anyway - The very crux of my issue is the length of the ban - 2 weeks? for a first ever (soccer) infraction. I must say that is extraordianry - (if this is standard then again fair enough)
    OK, the length of the ban is clearly defined in the forum rules. It is not extraordinary.
    Warnings and the sanctions that they receive.
    Yellow means a warning. An infraction is the same as red (or two yellows). Where yellows are discussed, a red counts for two.
    • 1st yellow - Warning
    • 2nd yellow / 1 red - 2 week ban
    • 3rd yellow - 1 month ban
    • 4th yellow - 3 month ban
    • 5th yellow - 6 month ban, and reapply
    • 6th yellow - Permanent ban

This is applied without favour to anyone and is with the approval of the majority or the soccer forum members.

It would be unfair and, in my book, would be a breach of mod duty to not apply the published sanction.
    Anyway - im sorry and wont do it again! I believe the 4 days served to be about 4 days too long but if we can call it quits here id appreciate it - im wrong, he's right, I learned my lesson.
    Thanks for your understanding, however I cannot reduce the ban as I can find no fault with the mod action and to do so would undermine their hard work and application of the forum rules. These rules (and sanctions) are open to discussion in the annual feedback cycle so if you think it overly harsh then this is the place to bring it up.

In light of the above, I am upholding the card and the resulting forum ban.

You may, as is your option under DRP, appeal my decision to admins. Please let me know if you wish to do this.

Thanks.

• Advertisement

You may, as is your option under DRP, appeal my decision to admins. Please let me know if you wish to do this.
    It's been a month,

Do you wish to appeal or can this be closed?

My 2 week ban was lifted - 2 weeks ago :D

Thanks

Cool thanks, I'll ask for this be closed off then :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement