Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Right to a speedy trial

• 30-01-2020 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

Does one have the right to a speedy trial in Ireland? I know it is not expressed within the constitution, but what about the european convention of human rights article 6?

Being honest I am awaiting to be put on trial for something I am not proud of. I have been waiting fourteen months with it hanging over my head. I cannot work due to severe depression which is been exacerbated by the wait.

But worst of all my family are suffering and I hate it. I know I have done wrong and own up to it but I just want it over with. I dont even care if I go to jail now. I need closure.

Can I do anything?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

There is a right to reasonable expedition afforded by Article 38.1 of the Constitution, however the facts must be assessed in each case in light of the particular circumstances of the case.

If the accused's defence has been explicitly prejudiced by the delay (the delay was both unreasonable and prejudicial) then they may be entitled to an order prohibiting the trial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 351 ✭✭randomrb

Is your matter civil or criminal?

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Whitecarstones

randomrb wrote: »
    Is your matter civil or criminal?

Criminal unfortunately:(

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Whitecarstones

GM228 wrote: »
    There is a right to reasonable expedition afforded by Article 38.1 of the Constitution, however the facts must be assessed in each case in light of the particular circumstances of the case.

If the accused's defence has been explicitly prejudiced by the delay (the delay was both unreasonable and prejudicial) then they may be entitled to an order prohibiting the trial.

Thank you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,848 ✭✭✭✭28064212

GM228 wrote: »

Although taking this route would likely extend the process substantially, which seems to be not in line with what the OP wants

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement
Advertisement