Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Caramel

Options
  • 30-01-2020 6:27pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I am the Goldilocks of caramel. First verson was too runny. Second verson is like a toffee sweet.

I looked online and cooked it for too long the second time.

The recipe said to bring it to the boil and simmer for 6-8 mins, stirring continuously. 6-8 minutes was too short, hence the runny caramel. So the second time i waited to make sure it was very thick, which took 25 mins. And I've made a very nice toffee sweet :D .

The videos and pictures ive looked at online are either very pale or very dark, like my two versions and I'm reluctant to trust them.

The right setting is somewhere between 8 and 24 mins, but where? Is there a test i can do to know when it's right?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

It’s more about temperature than time, so using a sugar thermometer would be your best bet. Sounds like you’re aiming for “soft ball” to “firm ball” stage, so 235F to 250F would be the temperature range you’d be looking to get to.

Some places use “caramel” to mean like a Werther’s Original, which is probably what happened the second time!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Great. I'll get a sugar thermometer. Thank you Faith

Advertisement