Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need accommodation advice

Options
  • 30-01-2020 6:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi,

I got a job in Cork, and I need to move there late February. My workplace is near the Cork airport.

Does anyone have any recommendations on a good area with affordable rent that's closeby to my workplace? I'm very unfamiliar with Cork.

That would be much appreciated.

Regards,
    Jimj292

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

jimj292 wrote: »
    Hi,

I got a job in Cork, and I need to move there late February. My workplace is near the Cork airport.

Does anyone have any recommendations on a good area with affordable rent that's closeby to my workplace? I'm very unfamiliar with Cork.

That would be much appreciated.

Regards,
    Jimj292

Will you have a car?
    The airport is very isolated if you don't. There's a bus from the city every 30 mins but you'd obviously need to get to the city first so it can be a long enough commute. There's also a newer bus running from Haulbowline, Ringaskiddy, Carrigaline and Ballygarvan, also every 30 minutes.

If you do drive, then anywhere really is close to the airport. Without traffic even the further out comuter town are within 30minutes, Carrigaline and Ballincollig are good places to live and are 15 mins away.
    The main problem will be finding a house or house share so even if you have a car you might not be able to be too fussy on where you do live.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 jimj292

.red. wrote: »
    Will you have a car?
    The airport is very isolated if you don't. There's a bus from the city every 30 mins but you'd obviously need to get to the city first so it can be a long enough commute. There's also a newer bus running from Haulbowline, Ringaskiddy, Carrigaline and Ballygarvan, also every 30 minutes.

If you do drive, then anywhere really is close to the airport. Without traffic even the further out comuter town are within 30minutes, Carrigaline and Ballincollig are good places to live and are 15 mins away.
    The main problem will be finding a house or house share so even if you have a car you might not be able to be too fussy on where you do live.

Hi there,

Thank you for the response. No I do not have a car. I won't mind living anywhere thats an hour to the cork airport business park.

Living in Dublin, I'm quite used to slightly long distances. I just hope finding a room isn't as difficult as it is Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

jimj292 wrote: »
    Hi there,

Thank you for the response. No I do not have a car. I won't mind living anywhere thats an hour to the cork airport business park.

Living in Dublin, I'm quite used to slightly long distances. I just hope finding a room isn't as difficult as it is Dublin.

Carrigaline, Ballygarvan, belgooley, riverstick, Kinsale and the city centre would be good options so as there all 1 bus away. Frankfield would be walking distance to a bus stop.
    Carrigaline and Kinsale would be towns, frankfield a suburb and the rest are villages so it depends on what you'd rather.
    Plenty of other places would be a short cycle to a bus stop.
    If you send an email to HR they might have a contact to someone at work who has a room and if your lucky you might get a spin with the room for a few €€ for petrol money each week.

Good luck.

.red. wrote: »
    Carrigaline, Ballygarvan, belgooley, riverstick, Kinsale and the city centre would be good options so as there all 1 bus away. Frankfield would be walking distance to a bus stop.
    Carrigaline and Kinsale would be towns, frankfield a suburb and the rest are villages so it depends on what you'd rather.
    Plenty of other places would be a short cycle to a bus stop.
    If you send an email to HR they might have a contact to someone at work who has a room and if your lucky you might get a spin with the room for a few €€ for petrol money each week.

Good luck.

Thank you for your response. It seems like areas above the river are cheaper than the ones near city centre. Personally, I would avoid living directly in the city centre (traffic,noise, no peace). I have been searching around those other areas you mentioned.

Also emailed HR, waiting their response.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

Moving to Cork myself, but bringing a young family with me which has some extra requirements, but partner will be working in the hospital, so our commutes will be similar to yours.

Having done some of our own research and exploration, there are a lot of options to the south and west of the city, but without a car, you are depending on buses to get to work. While there are some good bus services between the commuter towns and the city, and some will take in the airport, I would prioritise the places where you have a guaranteed public transport connection and no bus changes.

If you are a cyclist (as am I) this opens up a lot more options in terms of places to live. I haven't done the full research on routes etc. but bear in mind that cork is hilly, but not uniformly so, and the north of the city is hillier than the south. Also if you are a cyclist you could take the train service into the city and cycle out to the airport, and that opens up options like Mallow as a place to live (you would have to factor in rent+train in your budget, but its an option).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

sharingan wrote: »
    Also if you are a cyclist you could take the train service into the city and cycle out to the airport...

The airport hill is a 170m ascent, and on a busy main road at that. 100% not a viable cycling commute!

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭worker bee

You should be able to get something in Grange, Donnybrook, wider Douglas area alright.
    Or Lehenaghmore which is between Togher and the Airport. They would be a lot closer than Kinsale or Belgooly etc.

https://www.daft.ie/cork-city/residential-property-for-rent/douglas,frankfield,lehenaghmore,togher/?ad_type=rental&advanced=1&s%5Badvanced%5D=1&searchSource=rental

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

Very unhelpful advice so far in this thread, well done everyone.

https://www.daft.ie/21943817
    The market is not great at the moment but I looked on Daft and here's a place in Wilton. It's very small but you can access town very easily and get the airport bus.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/QcvLEkAFZEGjLXwTA

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

.red. has the best advice if you don't have a car.
    I would also add Turner's Cross to the list. It's a suburban area to the south of the city centre. The 226 airport bus passes through there, it is a much quieter place to live than the city centre and there are plenty of local amenities and only 20 minutes to walk to the city centre.

Thanks everyone here for the help!

After an exhausting exercise of seeing rooms, I have found accommodation in the decent area of Douglas a few days ago.

Not a ton of choices, city centre rooms were more cramped with less greeneries. So the suburban areas were my main choice.

• Advertisement
Advertisement