Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why I'm Voting for FG

Options
  • 30-01-2020 9:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭

Let me start out by saying that I am not an FG voter. I'm not a member of the party, and I have no FG connections. I'm not even a big fan of the current FG government. In fact, I think Varadkar has shown very little leadership, and has performed poorly during the campaign so far

HOWEVER, I see no viable alternative to the current administration. Setting aside the incompetence of Harris, the lack of substance of Murphy, the gombeenish of Ring and Humpreys, etc, the validity of Varadkar, there is a group of experienced politicians, including Coveney, , McEntee, Donohoe, Bruton, McHugh, and to a much lesser extent Creed.

My main concern is to replace that experience team with a set of unknowns - Martin has extensive experience; but most of his front bench don't and they certainly don't have proven track record in finance, foreign affairs, etc.

No, we need an FG-Labour government. Replacing Harris, Murphy, and the like with some experienced politicians like Howling, Burton, Kelly, etc. would be a much stronger cabinet. When you strip away health and housing, FG have not done a bad job. And in reality, both health and housing are improving.

I do not have any time for my FG candidate, but I have learned that a GE vote is not a personal vote - it is a party vote. I'm not voting FF because in doing so I would be voting for tweaks to policy without the backing of experience.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 mickthewall

independent.ie/business/personal-finance/property-mortgages/leos-mortgage-mantra-emigrate-move-home-or-borrow-from-parents-36524257.html

As a single young person this frickin infuriated me. I would have a six hour commute if I moved back in parents, parents don’t have the money to give me deposit so I emigrated to the States.

Posh twat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

You outlined nearly every reason for not voting for them, but you're voting for them.
    Id say you're going to become a Fine Gael hero.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭BillyBird

Well at least you thought it through, I'll give you that.

But this bit, it's not true, is it?

Asitis2019 wrote: »
    And in reality, both health and housing are improving.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,313 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

No, we need an FG-Labour government. Replacing Harris, Murphy, and the like with some experienced politicians like Howling, Burton, Kelly, etc. would be a much stronger cabinet.

I hope you're not counting on Joan Burton being there, because she ain't getting back in by the looks of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

"Let me start out by saying I'm not a FG supporter" lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,340 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Six months ago I probably would have - for the first time in my life. They were playing a blinder with Brexit and that seemed to be the most important thing in the country and had played a big enough part in helping the country recover - to an extent - from the big crash.

Now there's just too much that's gone wrong under their watch. Nine years in government is a long time and things have not just stagnated under them, they've got worse. The health service is in the biggest mess it's ever been, rents are disgustingly out of whack and the new 'build-to-rent' schemes are only going to make this worse, homelessness is at an all time high and I just don't see any answers coming from them.

Then there's the likes of Maria Bailey, Dara Murphy and Catherine Noone showing themselves up to Fianna Fail with a blue tinge.

I honestly still don't know who I'm going to vote for. Probably the Social Democrats just to see if they can genuinely offer anything new.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

independent.ie/business/personal-finance/property-mortgages/leos-mortgage-mantra-emigrate-move-home-or-borrow-from-parents-36524257.html

As a single young person this frickin infuriated me. I would have a six hour commute if I moved back in parents, parents don’t have the money to give me deposit so I emigrated to the States.

Posh twat.

What he said is true?

I'm gonna give them my vote. They brought in abortion legislation and gay marriage. Issues that other parties wouldn't touch.

The accommodation issue is certainly a problem that needs to be addressed but it is primarily a symptom of a booming economy. Ireland is in a much better position since they came into power.

Perfect? Certainly not but I think the good outweighs the bad. I also don't any other party would have us in a such a good position right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,591 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

van_beano wrote: »
    Stopped reading at “McEntee” and decided to just comment on that. Experienced Politician eh?

Yea.
    Creed !
    The guy is a moron of the highest order.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭theboringfox

I will likely vote FG but more out of feeling they are the best of a bad bunch rather then actually wanting to. Probably greens next and then FF and Labour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

This is an attempt to make "The Validity of Varadkar" a catch phrase, isn't it.
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Won't be long before SF is mentioned as a power broker, 5 4 3 2 1.

Anyway, these threads (sorry OP) generally do not change entrenched minds. Maybe the undecideds so good on you for trying.

From my own perspective I don't see any alternative for people like me other than FG, even though I am not absolutely thrilled at the prospect. They failed in their promise to those working and contributing, they campaigned Right, but Governed Left. Not impressed, but however.

FF, no they are already frightening the cr@p out of me as I have no doubt they will revert to type and buy a helicopter or two for the builder mates. The boom is back!

SF, no. For example, they object to Help to Buy because those qualifying must provide evidence that they are working and pay tax. Imagine that!

Labour, sorry no for they sold their soul, and will never be able to buy it back.

The rest of them are a raggle taggle of this and that. The SDs are the best of that lot.

So despite the polls it is FG with a peg on my nose this time round. And if FF + whomever form a Government that is democracy. Just saying what I think is right for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Im banned from politics forum for one too many varadkar attacks. Also started a still going strong thread on all FG failures on the current affairs forum. Given what a **** show it is, Im voting FG again too, done SFA for workers. But if thats what they did, what will the rest further to the left do? :rolleyes: We had some of the same and no doubt some other scandals, if others were in there. FF with their wrecklessness, will ruin the place again within several years! FF announced the other day, they plan on increasing welfare to ALL recipients by a fiver a week. I can think of no better spend, infrastructure, mental health, health, paying down debt, more prison spaces etc etc etc, no blow it on worldclass welfare! Better the **** devil you know... Hopefully a new good party will emerge from the dregs of what we currently have! Dublins transport plans, decades in the making, will be long fingered by the rest of them too! What happens when the further left get in, go from free luxury apartments for social housing in Dundrum, to ballsbridge next? Let the moron workers commute an hour and a half each way on **** transport, for **** wages, to live in a **** location and be hit with a marginal tax rate of FIFTY percent of their income, as if they were the wolf of fcuking wall street (without the dollars or margot robbie) when they are trying to keep the wolf from the door!

oh i am voting greens too, building sustainable rail base transport, instead of rural motorways, would be a start! There hasnt been new rail track, on a new route in this state, laid in nearly a hundred years I read! (other than the mickey mouse inadequate luas) the dublin metro line, i.e. the line proposed from north of swords to sandyford as was proposed, would carry 100,000,000 passengers a year, or thereabouts in its opening year!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭micosoft

Posh twat.

Except he didn't quite say that did he. He suggested that people need to save up for a deposit for a house. Just like I did and many others did/do.

You had other options other than emigrate. Did you get a house in the US? Did they offer a 100% mortgagee there. No? Well you could have rented in Ireland just like you rent in the US.

The problem is we can't speak to people like adults any more. What is your magic wand solution? Back to FF and/or SF giving out 100% mortgages ready for the next big crash.

As for posh twat. I appreciate the anti-intellectual views of some. But he went into medicine and choose the relatively unglamorous job of a GP. He saved up and bought an apartment. Sounds like someone who is talking from experiance and didn't and does not expect everything to be handed to them on a platter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

van_beano wrote: »
    Stopped reading at “McEntee” and decided to just comment on that. Experienced Politician eh?

You know what. McEntee is actually very good. And FG are not getting my vote but I can recognise her competence. I would not hold experience against her.

It's Varadkar, Harris, Eoin Murphy, Madigan, Bailey and so many other that are absolutely the most incompetent shower of chancers I have ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Good stuff.

I'm not.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Looking like FF/SF coalition now. (and believe me FF will enter coalition with anyone to get the big jobs and MM as Teeshock too).

Could be interesting. But then again it might not. When's the next poll out does anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 mickthewall

micosoft wrote: »
    Except he didn't quite say that did he. He suggested that people need to save up for a deposit for a house. Just like I did and many others did/do.

You had other options other than emigrate. Did you get a house in the US? Did they offer a 100% mortgagee there. No? Well you could have rented in Ireland just like you rent in the US.

The problem is we can't speak to people like adults any more. What is your magic wand solution? Back to FF and/or SF giving out 100% mortgages ready for the next big crash.

As for posh twat. I appreciate the anti-intellectual views of some. But he went into medicine and choose the relatively unglamorous job of a GP. He saved up and bought an apartment. Sounds like someone who is talking from experiance and didn't and does not expect everything to be handed to them on a platter.

I was earning 55K in Dublin, not enough for me to buy my own place with 1500 on rent for not a great place.

In the states I’m getting $95K for the same role as that’s the going rate and taxes are a lot better and rent for your own place is about 65% of Dublin.

So yea makes sense I emigrated. I know stuff isn’t handed to you but the housing market is out of control.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Gonad

Really hope for a big results from SF

It’s time we give them a chance. They talk a big game and seem to actually care for what’s best for the people who need it most. They have a couple of very clever politicians. Doherty is doing some great work at the moment .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

a set of unknowns - Martin has extensive experience; but most of his front bench don't and they certainly don't have proven track record in finance, foreign affairs, etc.

By that logic, Fine Gael should govern badly forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I’m not voting FG for the following reasons:

National children’s hospital being built in Dublin City centre (more or less) in the car park of an existing hospital. Its more than likely going to cost even more than they’re currently speculating. I can see it hitting €3billion. It’s wrong on every level and cannot be justified by anyone anywhere ever.

The national broadband plan. Complete joke and another multi billion euro project that only benefits private companies.

The Insurance crisis. Despite all the posturing the gov have done, in reality they have done absolutely nothing to resolve this problem and couldn’t care less it seems.

Our broken judicial system. Dinosaur judges with zero grasp on reality, a revolving door prison service and a police force with poor resources and a commissioner only interested in ticking boxes.

And last but not least, Leo. What a wanker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Until theres a viable alternative it hard to see what difference a fg or ff government is going to make, it'll be just more of the same, labour is a no no, sinn fein needs another 20 years before recent past is forgotten and independents are as useful as a chocolate fireguard, the greens seem to be gain traction and don't care who they go into government with, we need a genuine centre right party to counter the bland political porridge we're being given

• Registered Users Posts: 33,105 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

What he said is true?

I'm gonna give them my vote. They brought in abortion legislation and gay marriage. Issues that other parties wouldn't touch.

The accommodation issue is certainly a problem that needs to be addressed but it is primarily a symptom of a booming economy. Ireland is in a much better position since they came into power.

Perfect? Certainly not but I think the good outweighs the bad. I also don't any other party would have us in a such a good position right now.
    I wouldn't be giving them a tonne of the credit for abortion legislation and marriage referendum, a lot from FG piled in when they saw the way the public mood was going imo.
    Lots of other parties a lot more vocal about supporting both those earlier on.
    Bigger party wise the greens, labour and Sinn Fein were a lot more vocal early on for marriage equality

• Registered Users Posts: 16,358 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Calculated wins, after some 'soul searching' they saw what way the wind was blowing. They even subbed the work out to a commitee on the off chance it would blow back on them. Colour me cynical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Add in that Varadkar is one very neat guy, and there really is no reason not to vote for FG.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,105 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Calculated wins, after some 'soul searching' they saw what way the wind was blowing. They even subbed the work out to a commitee on the off chance it would blow back on them. Colour me cynical.
    This! Exactly, they saw an opportunity to jump on bandwagons on both those referendums.
    Let's not forgot Leo Varadkar himself wasn't exactly overwhelming in his support for civil partnerships

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,542 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Mod

Reopened.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I’m not voting FG for the following reasons:

National children’s hospital being built in Dublin City centre (more or less) in the car park of an existing hospital. Its more than likely going to cost even more than they’re currently speculating. I can see it hitting €3billion. It’s wrong on every level and cannot be justified by anyone anywhere ever.

The national broadband plan. Complete joke and another multi billion euro project that only benefits private companies.

I think you'll find that none of the other parties are going to cancel either the NBP or the NCH.

Both projects are going to be around for a long time. It's just a pity none of the other parties have any interest in finding solutions for investment in our water infrastructure

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Fg signed off on nch I assume. But wasn’t this whole farce being discussed for years and years in typical Irish fashion? Would the other parties have put it somewhere else? My point is , they are all idiots. I don’t need feel the need to give abnothwr more even useless bunch a chance to make some of the same and some different mistakes ...

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭I Am The Law

Let me start out by saying that I am not an FG voter. I'm not a member of the party, and I have no FG connections. I'm not even a big fan of the current FG government. In fact, I think Varadkar has shown very little leadership, and has performed poorly during the campaign so far

HOWEVER, I see no viable alternative to the current administration. Setting aside the incompetence of Harris, the lack of substance of Murphy, the gombeenish of Ring and Humpreys, etc, the validity of Varadkar, there is a group of experienced politicians, including Coveney, , McEntee, Donohoe, Bruton, McHugh, and to a much lesser extent Creed.

My main concern is to replace that experience team with a set of unknowns - Martin has extensive experience; but most of his front bench don't and they certainly don't have proven track record in finance, foreign affairs, etc.

No, we need an FG-Labour government. Replacing Harris, Murphy, and the like with some experienced politicians like Howling, Burton, Kelly, etc. would be a much stronger cabinet. When you strip away health and housing, FG have not done a bad job. And in reality, both health and housing are improving.

I do not have any time for my FG candidate, but I have learned that a GE vote is not a personal vote - it is a party vote. I'm not voting FF because in doing so I would be voting for tweaks to policy without the backing of experience.

This is so sad, another 100 years of misery. We could be so much better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,779 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

_Brian wrote: »
    Yea.
    Creed !
    The guy is a moron of the highest order.

FG has too many morons running this time around

Advertisement