Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why I'm Voting for FG

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,503 ✭✭✭con747

Why is this country so easy to forgive the two main parties for continually making a mess of it?. Yet will never try to change the recurring cycle that will inevitably happen because they are only interested in safeguarding big businesses and not the people who elect them who actually need the services that are never delivered.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

They're terrible, but we know them. Sounds logical ;)

They're terrible, but we know them. Sounds logical ;)

Logical would be to give a party/coalition a chance who has not ruined this country. What could they do worse? Ruin the country!. At least try some other parties to find out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Gonad wrote: »
    Really hope for a big results from SF

It’s time we give them a chance. They talk a big game and seem to actually care for what’s best for the people who need it most. They have a couple of very clever politicians. Doherty is doing some great work at the moment .

The only positive from the above would be the momentous ball of sh1te the Shinners and their populist nonsense would make of things would ensure they would never have a chance of getting in again, just like FF after they made sh1te of the country...oh no, wait....

What he said is true?

I'm gonna give them my vote. They brought in abortion legislation and gay marriage. Issues that other parties wouldn't touch.

The accommodation issue is certainly a problem that needs to be addressed but it is primarily a symptom of a booming economy. Ireland is in a much better position since they came into power.

Perfect? Certainly not but I think the good outweighs the bad. I also don't any other party would have us in a such a good position right now.

Rode the wave even though Leo was against gay marriage...until he saw the wave....

Ireland has record breaking crises since they came to power. They've broke their own records on child homeless numbers.

I imagine you're doing okay so the country must be grand...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Asitis2019

con747 wrote: »
    Logical would be to give a party/coalition a chance who has not ruined this country. What could they do worse? Ruin the country!. At least try some other parties to find out.

Now dont be a silly billy con

FG are the only party who score high on the economy, and LV is totally right in saying this is a necessary condition to in invest in housing and health

FF were good with the economy in Reynolds time, but certainly not since. I dont trust them with the economy

If there is a fecession in the next few years, i want paschal in the driving seat

An fglab coalition is in the best interests of people, even if ghey dont know it

Ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I'm voting for them - because if Michael Martin gets in I'll leave the country.
    I dont know if I could stay in a country run by someone who was at the very forefront of driving us off a cliff a few years back, I also dont know if I want to live in a country full of people who'd vote him back in.

I'm no fan of Varadkar, but I genuinely am impressed with how much we've progressed as a nation in the last 10 years. I think a lot of things have been run badly, but having worked in the public sector, I can tell you none of the rest of them will run it any better.

RobAMerc wrote: »
    I dont know if I could stay in a country run by someone who was at the very forefront of driving us off a cliff a few years back, I also dont know if I want to live in a country full of people who'd vote him back in.

I'm no fan of Varadkar, but I genuinely am impressed with how much we've progressed as a nation in the last 10 years. I think a lot of things have been run badly, but having worked in the public sector, I can tell you none of the rest of them will run it any better.

Very little of what happened in the past 10 years were down to FG, it was down to the hard work and graft of the private sector having to haul themselves out of the septic tank FF threw them in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Asitis2019

RobAMerc wrote: »

Its a great point, they have along and spurred on by labour left the country in a better state

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Asitis2019 wrote: »
    Now dont be a silly billy con

FG are the only party who score high on the economy, and LV is totally right in saying this is a necessary condition to in invest in housing and health

FF were good with the economy in Reynolds time, but certainly not since. I dont trust them with the economy

If there is a fecession in the next few years, i want paschal in the driving seat

An fglab coalition is in the best interests of people, even if ghey dont know it

Ok?

The Troika put Ireland's economy back on track, not FG. We were essentially and economic protectorate for a large part of the Kenny years.

This FG government is an out and out failure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,449 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Yurt! wrote: »
    The Troika put Ireland's economy back on track, not FG. We were essentially and economic protectorate for a large part of the Kenny years.

Country is fine unless you're a waster waiting on handouts and a free gaff.

Things could be better but could be a whole lot worst.

You want something in life, work and do it yourself, don't expect some TD or government to hand it to you.

Goodnight:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Yurt! wrote: »

Tell us, how well is Greece going at the moment. They were under the Trokia too, were they not? They must be flying!

*looks at Greek unemployment levels...*

Hmmm, guess not!

You want something in life, work and do it yourself, don't expect some TD or government to hand it to you.

You heard it here firsr squeezed middle, FG say go f*** yourself ;)

Edit: didn't Leo borrow off his patents?

You heard it here firsr squeezed middle, FG say go f*** yourself ;)

Edit: didn't Leo borrow off his patents?

Middle class parents, not sure if they are upper class yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,358 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Other posters will have us believe the above demographic are living the life of Riley.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Six months ago I probably would have - for the first time in my life. They were playing a blinder with Brexit and that seemed to be the most important thing in the country and had played a big enough part in helping the country recover - to an extent - from the big crash.

FG's role in Brexit has been massively overstated IMO. It's between the UK and the EU - whether Ireland survived the process was largely incidental save for a recognition here and in the UK that a return to the bad old days was something to be avoided.

On the economy, I'd argue that they've done everything possible to hamper the recovery with their inaction on housing, transport and the generally ridiculously high costs of living here for a country our size. They (FG) were in the right place at the right time when the global economy recovered and because we have a very open, hugely FDI-dependent, local economy we naturally felt the benefits swiftly.

Other posters will have us believe the above demographic are living the life of Riley.

It's also a tired and predictable deflection tactic to try and get the squeezed middle to not look at how little FG have looked after those who "Get up early in the morning"

If "FG under pressure"
    goto "wasters"
    OR
    "shinners"

repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Voting for FG means keeping the ship "steady as she goes"...

FG is not by any means perfect, and it really needs a kick up the backside when it comes to all thing health & housing related (lack of spending) and cutbacks, but the overall picture for the country under FG is one of an economically healthy Ireland with a good future.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Rode the wave even though Leo was against gay marriage...until he saw the wave....

You have posted this false narrative before, had it comprehensively dismantled and dismissed, yet you come back and post it again.

Fair dues for the courage and neck to do so.

blanch152 wrote: »
    You have posted this false narrative before, had it comprehensively dismantled and dismissed, yet you come back and post it again.

Fair dues for the courage and neck to do so.

Really? I seem to recall a video being posted on one of these threads where Leo was in the Dail at one point talking about the family - which didn't include same sex couples as an option.

Then, when the opinion polls showed overwhelming support for the passing of the SSM referendum, he "comes out" on national radio, boosting his own profile in the process about something that wasn't much of a secret in political/media circles I gather.

Seems pretty cynical and opportunistic to me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Really? I seem to recall a video being posted on one of these threads where Leo was in the Dail at one point talking about the family - which didn't include same sex couples as an option.

Then, when the opinion polls showed overwhelming support for the passing of the SSM referendum, he "comes out" on national radio, boosting his own profile in the process about something that wasn't much of a secret in political/media circles I gather.

Seems pretty cynical and opportunistic to me!

Every substantive piece of social legislation has been passed under a FG government - divorce, abortion, SSM. If we left it down to FF then nothing would have been achieved - always talking out of both corners of their mouth when it comes to the ‘difficult’ issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Leo wasn't interested in same sex couples adoption back in the day.

https://youtu.be/ykQAW9Y7Ros

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Every substantive piece of social legislation has been passed under a FG government - divorce, abortion, SSM. If we left it down to FF then nothing would have been achieved - always talking out of both corners of their mouth when it comes to the ‘difficult’ issues.

Tbh FG stole Labours clothes when they saw how much the electorate was ready for change. No fan of Lab btw but the above were more Labour ideals than FG. Let's not rewrite history.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 tomatofruit

Im old enough to remember the Troika having to come into Ireland with a bailout and leaving 4 years later in 2013, what a mess this country was left in really by a Fianna Fail led government. Thats just over 6 years ago, I think the place has been doing well since. More of the same please.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭KaneToad

van_beano wrote: »
    Stopped reading at “McEntee” and decided to just comment on that. Experienced Politician eh?

Indeed. She is many things but "experienced politician is not one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Abortion in particular was kicked down the road for decades by successive governments.

For the above pieces of legislation people say that FG should take no credit for them yet on the other hand the NBP and NCH are solely the fault of Leo Varadkar. Does not compute

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Tbh FG stole Labours clothes when they saw how much the electorate was ready for change. No fan of Lab btw but the above were more Labour ideals than FG. Let's not rewrite history.

Also a fair point - the junior partner in government will always get a disproportionate blame for the bad things and not enough credit for the good things. FF and FG can keep on sailing away though

Piers Morgan, how nice of you to join us.

markodaly wrote: »
    Tell us, how well is Greece going at the moment. They were under the Trokia too, were they not? They must be flying!

*looks at Greek unemployment levels...*

Hmmm, guess not!

The Greek's tried to buck the Troika off their back more than once, we didn't.

I don't agree with everything that was done during those years, but we sure as sh*t weren't being guided by the brains trust in Fine Gael.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    It's also a tired and predictable deflection tactic to try and get the squeezed middle to not look at how little FG have looked after those who "Get up early in the morning"

If "FG under pressure"
    goto "wasters"
    OR
    "shinners"

repeat.

yeah they havent looked after us, but I can see why it has happened, you have black holes in health, housing etc, this is the issue. Without increased taxes or cutting expenditure, what do you propose? That is the core. They cant do anything or near it, for workers with the current system / setup. A vote for any other party, just exacerbates a bad situation! and what a shocker that many people will vote to remove money from others pockets, to their own! :rolleyes: what an absolute shocker there...

Advertisement