Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why I'm Voting for FG

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Again
    Using his sexuality as a bashing tool and frankly the broken glass a politician has to steer around with it,never mind anyone else is lowest common denominator stuff
    The approach of the posts above using that line are low

The approach of O'connor and Chevron an example of decency by comparison

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Again
    Using his sexuality as a bashing tool and frankly the broken glass a politician has to steer around with it,never mind anyone else is lowest common denominator stuff
    The approach of the posts above using that line are low

The approach of O'connor and Chevron an example of decency by comparison

I agree. So maybe stop it.

I agree. So maybe stop it.

I'll continue to call people out on it thanks including you

I was commenting on you using Varadkar's personal life to try score points.
    Ironically you have skipped the part where the attempted 'calling out' was shown to be false.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

We've never had a non ff/fg gov. A lot of people are sick of it.
    Can't get worse than the recession really and we came out of it OK if fg are to be believed so **** it. Grand left SF coalition because there is no other option.

• Advertisement

I was commenting on you using Varadkar's personal life to try score points.
    Ironically you have skipped the part where the attempted 'calling out' was shown to be false.

Honestly..
    No amount of rewriting my posts or misrepresenting them works
    My posts are all there to read and their context is obviously not the same as your misrepresentation of them
    This may go on a lot with your replies to posts but it's not a good tactic if you ever want to be taken seriously
    Its actually counterproductive to your stated purpose in posting
    That's just bizarre tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 8,226 ✭✭✭threeball

Leo is a twit and FG and the country would be in a better place if he wasn't FG leader but it's still not enough to convince me to vote for the total shower of wasters that are FF and attempt to gloss over what they have done.

I also can't bring myself to vote for the party of the layabout Sinn Fein. If i lived in a council house and scratched my balls all day theyd be top of my list. Unfortunately i dont have that luxury.

Labour and the Greens have no candidates that have a snowball's chance in hell in my area.
    So essentially I will vote FG as the alternative is voting to put FF back in power and thats borderline treason.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

blanch152 wrote: »
    The snide underhand allegation from Matt Barrett was that Varadkar only came out and in favour of gay marriage because it was popular.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/when-leo-varadkar-came-out-delays-hesitation-and-then-courage-37229592.html

The full and true story is a lot different.

Some people have no understanding or empathy around the issues for someone coming out as gay, particularly someone from a background like Leo's. To add to that, there is the pressure on public figures. There are no current soccer players in England who have come out.

The article I posted tells the full story and the difficulties that he faced.

Some of the commentary on this topic on this thread has been ignorant and disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Some people have no understanding or empathy around the issues for someone coming out as gay, particularly someone from a background like Leo's. To add to that, there is the pressure on public figures. There are no current soccer players in England who have come out.

The article I posted tells the full story and the difficulties that he faced.

Some of the commentary on this topic on this thread has been ignorant and disgusting.

Nauseating defence from you.no one cares he's gay.it's his gross incometence and lack of empathy is the issue.

Agreed, thankfully their approach is rare today it's for the dinosaurs
    It's such a pity that social media provides that kind of tripe with an outing (pardon the pun) mainly because in real life its hugely frowned upon

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

To add to that, there is the pressure on public figures. There are no current soccer players in England who have come out.

Liam Davies , plays for Torquay and openly gay. So as usual you are wrong

Honestly..
    No amount of rewriting my posts or misrepresenting them works
    My posts are all there to read and their context is obviously not the same as your misrepresentation of them
    This may go on a lot with your replies to posts but it's not a good tactic if you ever want to be taken seriously
    Its actually counterproductive to your stated purpose in posting
    That's just bizarre tbh

You are lying.
    You have no back up on this. You are making it about his sexuality.
    No point in a 'I know you are, what am I?' with you.

Liam Davies , plays for Torquay and openly gay. So as usual you are wrong

Ok, top-level soccer players. What division are Torquay in now, does anyone know?

You are lying.
    You have no back up on this. You are making it about his sexuality.
    No point in a 'I know you are, what am I?' with you.

Ah here, it is more than a bit rich when someone who adopted the username of Leo Varadkar's partner when they signed on to boards for the first time and described it as having the craic, then goes on to accuse somebody else of making things about Leo's sexuality!!!!

Seriously?

Ok, top-level soccer players. What division are Torquay in now, does anyone know?

You said English football player, i even quoted you. Moving the goalposts I see because I showed you to be wrong as usual. ;-)

Ah here, it is more than a bit rich when someone who adopted the username of Leo Varadkar's partner when they signed on to boards for the first time and described it as having the craic, then goes on to accuse somebody else of making things about Leo's sexuality!!!!

Seriously?

We've covered this. Everything you say here is true but I disagree with the context. You and your pal make it about his sexuality. Get over it, the man is gay. This is the same sad effort on women, in that anyone criticising FG female politicians has an issue with women. Both you and your pals are using gender and sexuality for point scoring. Pretty low lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,679 ✭✭✭storker

I'll vote for pretty much everyone except FFG and SF, although I might even give SF the arse end of my preferences if I can pinch my nose strongly enough. But probably not.

Reason #1: I think the country might benefit from a Dail in which neither the sleeveen wing nor the gombeen wing of FFG is in government. Maybe it would give them a sufficient shock to the system to actually cop themselves on the next time they're in power or else be honest with themselves and the electorate and finally merge.

Reason #2: We know what the FFG different wings will do. The gombeen wing will feck everything up in the name of short-termism and a quick buck, and the sleeveen wing will stick it to the citizens in favour of the big boys. We don't know what the others would do: we just know what they and others claim they would do. I'd like to see what would really happen. If they feck it up we can just throw them out again.

At least I'd be voting for the possibility of change rather than the certainty of no change.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,226 ✭✭✭threeball

storker wrote: »
    I'll vote for pretty much everyone except FFG and SF, although I might even give SF the arse end of my preferences if I can pinch my nose strongly enough. But probably not.

Reason #1: I think the country might benefit from a Dail in which neither the sleeveen wing nor the gombeen wing of FFG is in government. Maybe it would give them a sufficient shock to the system to actually cop themselves on the next time they're in power or else be honest with themselves and the electorate and finally merge.

Reason #2: We know what the FFG different wings will do. The gombeen wing will feck everything up in the name of short-termism and a quick buck, and the sleeveen wing will stick it to the citizens in favour of the big boys. We don't know what the others would do: we just know what they and others claim they would do. I'd like to see what would really happen. If they feck it up we can just throw them out again.

At least I'd be voting for the possibility of change rather than the certainty of no change.

So you'd be happy for the Shinners to start diverting even more of your tax into the hands of the perpetual wasters?

threeball wrote: »
    So you'd be happy for the Shinners to start diverting even more of your tax into the hands of the perpetual wasters?

If they achieved enough other good things at the same time, then yes I could live with that.

(Nice job completely ignoring the reluctance with which I might vote for SF and the fact that I probably won't.)

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭downwesht

Fine Gael have pissed off a lot of people there is no doubt,however we have to remember how pissed off we were when Fianna Fail helped by the Greens ruined this country.They denied that we were bust even though the Troika were in town.We will be paying off their debts for years.
    Fine Gael have made mistakes but they yet again have cleaned up a huge mess.We have to give them credit also for how they handled Brexit.
    I think given time they will improve things but doubt they will get the chance...

• Advertisement

storker wrote: »
    If they achieved enough other good things at the same time, then yes I could live with that.

(Nice job completely ignoring the reluctance with which I might vote for SF and the fact that I probably won't.)

You're shunned now. You'll get your bell for hanging around your neck in the post.
    Basically if you're not with them, you're a shinner. Now go claim your welcome pack which consists of a Wolfe Tones CD, an Aran sweater and a balaclava ;)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,578 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Drop all the discussion on Leo's sexuality

downwesht wrote: »
    Fine Gael have pissed off a lot of people there is no doubt,however we have to remember how pissed off we were when Fianna Fail helped by the Greens ruined this country.They denied that we were bust even though the Troika were in town.We will be paying off their debts for years.
    Fine Gael have made mistakes but they yet again have cleaned up a huge mess.We have to give them credit also for how they handled Brexit.
    I think given time they will improve things but doubt they will get the chance...

Just on the Brexit issue. FG enjoyed unity from the Dail and whilst politicians change its the permanent civil servants who do the talking on the nitty gritty. The outcome for Ireland would be no different no matter who occupied the government benches, although maybe the Brits might have not been as intensively insulted as they were by Leo. Even his own party told him to dial it back.

You're shunned now. You'll get your bell for hanging around your neck in the post.
    Basically if you're not with them, you're a shinner. Now go claim your welcome pack which consists of a Wolfe Times CD, an Aran sweater and a balaclava ;)

I don't like the Wolfe Tones, Aran sweaters make me too hot, and I imagine a balaclava would be too itchy. :)

The bell award for upsetting FFG fanboys is something I'll wear with pride though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

a few people I know, have swung around to my view on this election. Begrudgingly giving FG another vote, it tells you something! When they are not happy with Fg, but realise that if you are an taxpayer, they are the least offensive!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Idbatterim wrote: »
    a few people I know, have swung around to my view on this election. Begrudgingly giving FG another vote, it tells you something! When they are not happy with Fg, but realise that if you are an taxpayer, they are the least offensive!

You have been on the quickest road to Damascus I have ever witnessed, pages upon pages of castigating leo in particular, and the party in general, and now are converted.

Well done, you got me. :o

Idbatterim wrote: »

FG won't care how reluctantly you give them your vote, or how hard you hold your nose. Politicians don't pick up on that kind of nuance. If FG are voted back in, they won't read say "Well we got back in, but we'd better get our act together or people like Idbatterim might be super annoyed with us next time" - they'll say "The electorate approves of how we do things!" High fives all round and keep doing everything the same way.

I'm prepared to sacrifice a little to put a stop to that kind of thinking.

McMurphy wrote: »
    You have been on the quickest road to Damascus I have ever witnessed, pages upon pages of castigating leo in particular, and the party in general, and now are converted.

Stockholm Syndrome :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭KaneToad

downwesht wrote: »
    Fine Gael have pissed off a lot of people there is no doubt,however we have to remember how pissed off we were when Fianna Fail helped by the Greens ruined this country.

The Green party's work in changing legislation for corporate donations to political parties was one of the best things done by a party in govt for years, (albeit that they didn't get it exactly as they wanted it). Their push for diesel cars...not so good. Wouldn't hold them anyway responsible for ruining the country. That's all on FF and their sustained shoddy control of national finances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

McMurphy wrote: »

Well done, you got me. :o

no no, I realise they are appalling for what I want. But I also realise, that its easy to talk **** from the other side of the Dail, I'd love nothing but to replace FG with another party, unfortunately, the ones currently in the dail, are worse in my opinion!

Advertisement